Super League XIV

I'm shocked how well they are going this year

A few hairy moments but another great win for Potter's young dynamos, I would hate to be a Wire/Wolves fan!!!! 1 win vs Saints in the Sooper Dooper League era!

On another note absolutely gutted that Charlton away is the day of the Grand Final and as I've been to 5 of the last 7 and never frequented the Valley i'll be cheering on the boys in blue. Might have to go to the Challenge Cup Final instead but as Lags says and my fellow Saints fans the trains are a bit of a mare so that may be a no-goer.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saints fans - the Oldham boy Eastmond keeps on getting bigged up. Reckoned to be one of the top ten youngsters in the RL world and perhaps the next Robinson....I know this is all 2008 news, but a year on those of you who watch Saints, do you think he's going to be another top, top SL player from Oldham - like you could say Sculthorpe, Iestin Harris and perhaps Barrie were when at their peak and on form... ?

Saints fans - the Oldham boy Eastmond keeps on getting bigged up. Reckoned to be one of the top ten youngsters in the RL world and perhaps the next Robinson....I know this is all 2008 news, but a year on those of you who watch Saints, do you think he's going to be another top, top SL player from Oldham - like you could say Sculthorpe, Iestin Harris and perhaps Barrie were when at their peak and on form... ?

Whenever I've seen Kyle he's been superb, he does remind me a little of Billy Whizz at Wigan, his kicking is superb and I do think eventually he'll end up playing in the centre week in week out. Teams have targeted him when he's played on the wing and he's perceived as being weak defensively but as he proved away to the Goons can handle anything that is thrown at him. I like the way we've brought him on slowly but when he's played he's made a great impact. He'll be the real deal no doubt about it.

Whenever I've seen Kyle he's been superb, he does remind me a little of Billy Whizz at Wigan, his kicking is superb and I do think eventually he'll end up playing in the centre week in week out. Teams have targeted him when he's played on the wing and he's perceived as being weak defensively but as he proved away to the Goons can handle anything that is thrown at him. I like the way we've brought him on slowly but when he's played he's made a great impact. He'll be the real deal no doubt about it.

Couldn't agree more, it'd be easy to throw him into the starting lineup considering how well he's been playing but it's good that the pressure's been kept off him a bit. Just as well, given the inexplicable criticism he's had from some of the 'experts' - Sky describing him as the 'weak link' against Wigan in April was the worst example, but there's been a few times when they've pounced on every mistake he's made.

incidentally, creative use of the English language from Mick Potter after yesterday's game - apparently the result was testament to Saints' stickability and Fa'asavalu's got a bad 'caulk'.

Couldn't agree more, it'd be easy to throw him into the starting lineup considering how well he's been playing but it's good that the pressure's been kept off him a bit. Just as well, given the inexplicable criticism he's had from some of the 'experts' - Sky describing him as the 'weak link' against Wigan in April was the worst example, but there's been a few times when they've pounced on every mistake he's made.

incidentally, creative use of the English language from Mick Potter after yesterday's game - apparently the result was testament to Saints' stickability and Fa'asavalu's got a bad 'caulk'.

Saints v Wakey toneet, not going over so watching it on Sky, but be afraid fellow Saints it's raining :unsure:

Saints v Wakey toneet, not going over so watching it on Sky, but be afraid fellow Saints it's raining :unsure:

Another great Wakefield game, two weeks running.

Anything that you experts think I should speshully do or look out for at Catalans* on Sunday?

NB> You have about two hours to answer. :grin:

*Playerwise.

Another great Wakefield game, two weeks running.

Anything that you experts think I should speshully do or look out for at Catalans* on Sunday?

NB> You have about two hours to answer. :grin:

*Playerwise.

Yeah the rendition of the Catalonian national anthem before kick off's supposed to be very impressive.

Playerwise? Don't know, the only players of theirs i can even think of are Mogg and Guisset and they're both out.

Yeah the rendition of the Catalonian national anthem before kick off's supposed to be very impressive.

Playerwise? Don't know, the only players of theirs i can even think of are Mogg and Guisset and they're both out.

I wouldn't mind. I'm missing Skolars v Hornets for this? Am I insane?

NB> I may be on the wrong website for this comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Great game for both sides, shame someone had to lose! nice to see a primary school friend of mine Mark Flanagan have a good game and he could well be if he already isnt another piece of local talent plying his trade in the super league!

Edited by Oafc88

I like Ade, but me Dad has always said he's a bit ropey...

Phew got out of jail there, Wigan were far the better side and we looked clueless for long periods. The fact we can't play in the rain is a real worry although in a delicious twist of irony the wet weather is what enabled us to nick the match!

Phew got out of jail there, Wigan were far the better side and we looked clueless for long periods. The fact we can't play in the rain is a real worry although in a delicious twist of irony the wet weather is what enabled us to nick the match!

:grin: yeah in dry weather, or without the wigan players pushing him over,Eastmond would have been well short. he had a great game though - glad that he got Sky MOTM and Wellens got the sponsors MOTM cos it was a toss up between them. On the downside, referee was :censored:e, far too many daft errors (in the rain,like you say,again - and sod the players,i'm not gonna be able to move tomorrow after 2 hours on an uncovered terrace,at the end with no beer :angry: ) and what in the name of f**k was Meli doing? once Saints took the lead i wanted them to haul him off and take their chances with 12 men if they had to. But i don't want to be negative after that, they showed great character, Eastmond is looking like an absolute diamond (imagine Craig Davies with the mental:genius ratio shifted the right way) and considering the injuries at the moment they're not doing bad at all.

And my new director of finance at work's a Wigan fan. roll on monday... :grin:

e2a:my mistake,Sky's MOTM was Tomkins. So out of the 3 derbies this season, Saints have won 2 out of 3,but Sky have given MOTM to a Wigan player 3 times. Interesting.

Edited by rosa

• 2 weeks later...

Goons 26 Wire 39 :laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16:

Wire's first visit to wembley since 1990 when they beat Oldham very controversially in the Semi-Final, thus denying Oldham of it's 'dream' weekend at Wembley. (The Challenge Cup Final was the Saturday before the Final Against Forest, the town would've been a ghost town, but for a very disputable disallowed Oldham try)

Come on Saints today...

Goons 26 Wire 39 :laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16:

Wire's first visit to wembley since 1990 when they beat Oldham very controversially in the Semi-Final, thus denying Oldham of it's 'dream' weekend at Wembley. (The Challenge Cup Final was the Saturday before the Final Against Forest, the town would've been a ghost town, but for a very disputable disallowed Oldham try)

Come on Saints today...

Gutted; Crabtree owned us - young Kyle showed his lack of experience and composure in the last 15 minutes and Gardener FFS AGAIN, week after week he is targeted as the weak link, when is Potter gonna realise he is gash! Overlap walk-in try and nothing else. :ranting:

Fookin'...........................BOOOO!

Well done Hudds, you deserved it and who would have bet on a Warrington/Hudds final at 3pm yesterday? Warrington to win at Wembley, Smith doesn't lose big games.

Just one of those days where nothing worked. Even Meli having a rare decent performance didn't make any difference.

Oh well, good luck to Warrington in the final - any neutral would need a heart of stone to not want them to win after Lee Briers' post-match interview.

Just one of those days where nothing worked. Even Meli having a rare decent performance didn't make any difference.

Oh well, good luck to Warrington in the final - any neutral would need a heart of stone to not want them to win after Lee Briers' post-match interview.

Agree Meli and Kieron were the only two stand-out players for us. Despite being poor we had enough ball to win but that's were young Kyle needs to learn patience and composure. If i'm honest though, there's been a lot of poor peformances from Saints this season especially at Knowsley Road and i'm not convinced Potter will win trophies with us. Ok we're top of the league but that's counted for little in the last two Grand Finals, we have to win the SL title now and even though Wigan lost their Semi too Noble prepares teams for a strong finish. A hairy few weeks remain...

Not watching as much as I used to, I was shocked to see Saints defence so poor. Hudds at times seemed to break tackles at will. The Saints under Millward were fairly solid tacklers, that was what made them so difficult to beat. They didn't need to score big points because they didn't give them away.

Not watching as much as I used to, I was shocked to see Saints defence so poor. Hudds at times seemed to break tackles at will. The Saints under Millward were fairly solid tacklers, that was what made them so difficult to beat. They didn't need to score big points because they didn't give them away.

We've conceded points all season, and although we've had forwards out all season namely Cayless and Hargreaves we've been weak, particularly when Cunningham's not been on the field. I'm starting to doubt Potter's coaching ability. As for Millward yes I agree, but Anderson's tenure saw us play with tremendous flair backed up with a rock-solid defence. Even when we've hammered teams this season we've conceded 20 points a time and that's not good enough to win the Grand Final imo, and the kicking continues to be a source of worry, both penalties and conversions and on the last tackle. Oh and defending on the last tackle too, Meli and Gardener are forever targeted by the high kick and the last couple of months it has cost us at least a try a game. Personally I think Potter is out of his depth and many of the players are playing from memory and for their own pride rather than a specific game plan. We were very lucky to beat Wigan the other week and if Warrington had, had a bit more composure they would have beat us as well. Whatever happens this season there's a big rethink needed at KR during the winter.

Edited by oafcprozac

there's been a lot of poor peformances from Saints this season especially at Knowsley Road

It's a transitional period, Potter will get it right - christ he had a tough act to follow...Jamie Lyon back for next year?