Non England or Latics Games Overseas

Maccabi Tel Aviv vs. Bnei Yehuda at the end of August last year. Atmosphere was odd, very choreographed etc like you see in the German YouTube videos sometimes posted on here. Two sets of MTA fans who chant against eachother...they had to be split this season as last season their rivalry resulted in fights inside the stadium. Very different. Nice to watch a game in glorious sunshine though.

Plus it ended well...Bnei Yehuda equalised in stoppage time but MTA went straight back down the other end and got the winner! And then I get a phone call from Bob to tell me we'd equalised in the last minute at Colchester...

Oh yeah, plus Rangers vs. Hibs about three years ago. Scottish football is gash.

Edited by jsslatic

I've just been to Chonburi v PEA F.C. in Bangkok with ThaiLatic. It wasn't a great game but the atmosphere was terrific. Has anyone else been to non Latics or England games abroad and what was it like?

:lol:

I went to Thailand-Iraq with ThaiLatic. He's like the Oldham consulate out there! :D I had a bloody fun day (did you have to drink your beer from a plastic bag?) and was suprised that the standard is not all that bad.

:lol:

I went to Thailand-Iraq with ThaiLatic. He's like the Oldham consulate out there! :D I had a bloody fun day (did you have to drink your beer from a plastic bag?) and was suprised that the standard is not all that bad.

No we could drink as much beer as we wanted without any problems. The approach play was good but the finishing was very poor. I went on the pitch at the end and I was very surprised that the grass was so long. It must have been energy sapping.

I've just been to Chonburi v PEA F.C. in Bangkok with ThaiLatic. It wasn't a great game but the atmosphere was terrific. Has anyone else been to non Latics or England games abroad and what was it like?

I watch Brondby when I'm over in Denmark, my next game is in a fortnight against Aalborg.

The atmosphere is fantastic, with non stop singing throughout the game.......... and you can drink beer from your seat!

I go to LOADS of Frankfurt games. Last one was a 2-2 draw against 1. FC Köln (Cologne).

I also just bought my tickets for SGE vs. Hamburg SV

I think Carlsberg made German football fans. They have removed seats after fans asking to, allowed giant flags, beer during the game.. amazing.

Don't ever go near a flare though, you can't even see the game because of the bloody smoke!

Anyway, I ALWAYS wear a Latics scarf to the games, twin-team or something.

Edited by OAFCguy

I've went to a Barcalona v Malaga match a number of years back, at the time if I had been staying a week longer, then I would have been abe to see Leeds get thumped in the chumps league. I occaisonally go to Munich 1860 games, football is pretty dire, but it's a decent crowd. Also went to see Bayern play Celtic in the chumps league, didnt have to pay for that as a mate of mine had won tickets. Also went to see Ivory Coast v Serbia in the last World Cup.

I'm always happy to meet other Latics fans here in Thailand and introduce them to the joys of the local game.

It was good to meet up with you, L_B. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience. I hope that we'll be able to do it again in a week or so for the AFC Cup match.

We got some great photos of us with a Latics flag. I expect that one of us will get around to posting them at some point :)

No we could drink as much beer as we wanted without any problems. The approach play was good but the finishing was very poor. I went on the pitch at the end and I was very surprised that the grass was so long. It must have been energy sapping.

Said the exact same thing when I was there mate... I'd love some of the service the forwards over there get! But the forwards lack that instictive knowledge of where the goal is/put it across the keeper etc. etc.

Been to the Nou camp a few times and seen Barcelona play Las Palmas, Real Madrid and Chelsea, not sure if the last one counts though? the Madrid match was out of this world for both the match and atmosphere. you will never get anything like it in this country.

Also seen Tenerife play a few times against real jaen, ferrol and barcelona. the games against jaen and ferrol were played infront of about 6-7000 and there wasnt much of an atmosphere at those with the exception of a few hundred ultras behind the goal. But agaist barcelona it was a full house and it was rocking till barca went 3-0 up after about 20 mins. considering half the fans 2nd team were Barca they just started supporting them instead and it was pretty funny to see. I had a Barca shirt on underneath my Tenerife shirt and as soon as the 4th goal went in i thought i had might aswell take it off and join in with the others.

Slavia Prague games at their old ground on top of a hill.Sparta Prague(spit!)game as well.

Slovan Bratislava game last season,pretty dire game with a stadium less than a quarter full.At least the beer was good! :drinking66:

Espanyol game a couple of years ago against Racing at the old Olympics stadium in February/March time stuck in the stands high up freezin me conkers off.Easily the worst game of football I`ve ever seen(this includes the dreadful games that were watched in the Graeme Sharp managerial era).Spanish league the best league in the world my ass!Was played at the most pedestrian pace ever imaginable with bost sides content to settle for a 0-0 draw with no intent on scoring or entertaining the crowd.

S.V Hamburg game a couple of seasons ago at home to some part-time Bulgarian Pig Farmers in a U.E.F.A Cup tie.Atmos was great with as mentioned before an orchestrated feel to it.

Am in Budapest next weekend so am making the effort to go and see our new friends at MTK Hungaria.They`re at home against Vasas.One or two of their players may be on their way on loan to Latics next season I believe.

Slavia Prague games at their old ground on top of a hill.Sparta Prague(spit!)game as well.

Slovan Bratislava game last season,pretty dire game with a stadium less than a quarter full.At least the beer was good! :drinking66:

Espanyol game a couple of years ago against Racing at the old Olympics stadium in February/March time stuck in the stands high up freezin me conkers off.Easily the worst game of football I`ve ever seen(this includes the dreadful games that were watched in the Graeme Sharp managerial era).Spanish league the best league in the world my ass!Was played at the most pedestrian pace ever imaginable with bost sides content to settle for a 0-0 draw with no intent on scoring or entertaining the crowd.

S.V Hamburg game a couple of seasons ago at home to some part-time Bulgarian Pig Farmers in a U.E.F.A Cup tie.Atmos was great with as mentioned before an orchestrated feel to it.

Am in Budapest next weekend so am making the effort to go and see our new friends at MTK Hungaria.They`re at home against Vasas.One or two of their players may be on their way on loan to Latics next season I believe.

Saw Slovan v Spartak Trnava a few years ago. Lovely warm evening , low prices but lots of racist chanting.

Barcelona v Alaves at the Nou Camp.

Crap. Was more like going to the theatre than going to a football match. People applauded politely when they scored. Loads of Paddies in Celtic shirts engaged in a group wankfest over Henrik Larsson didn't help either.

watched Flamengo play Volto Redondo at a three quarters empty Maracana which was ok.

Boca Juniors v Argentinos Juniors at La Bombanera was very good. Fantastic atmosphere, great football. Riquelme and Palermo were good to watch. I was on the third tier of a stand that shakes when those in the bottom tier start bouncing up and down. :unsure: Travelling to and away from the game all added to the experience aswell. Trains and buses getting more and more full of fans the closer you get.

Best of all was Cienciano v Flamengo in the Copa Libertadores.

Cienciano (from Cusco, Peru) needed to beat Flamengo (tournament favourites) to progress out of the group stage for the first time in their history. The grounds capacity was 45,000 but there were at least 55,000 in there! For their equivalent of the Champions League the dearest tickets were a whopping £8. Health & Safety was non existent. Flares going off everywhere, trouble all over the ground, police & security taking bribes left, right and centre to let people in without tickets, beer in the ground. It was everything football should be about! :lol: Being stood right behind Peru's equivalent of John Motson (who was also standing!) commentating added to it aswell.

Unfortunately they lost 2-0 and never did get through.

Had tickets to watch Bolivar in La Paz, Bolivia but missed it after a rather heavy one the night before. :huh: What a waste of £2 that was :lol:

Thats of course in comparison to the free flowing total football that we get in league one :grin:

No slurms. It simply points out the simple fact that as the classic song goes "oh, the Rangers are sh*te"

:wink:

I've watched numerous scottish football. Mainly Celtic and Albion Rovers. The latter was like watching a sunday league side.

No slurms. It simply points out the simple fact that as the classic song goes "oh, the Rangers are sh*te"

:wink:

I've watched numerous scottish football. Mainly Celtic and Albion Rovers. The latter was like watching a sunday league side.

Rangers were alright to be honest, Hibs were awful. When you see Thomas Buffel go past five or six players and score you have to say it's down to the crap opposition. I'm pretty sure Hibs finished 3rd that year (04/05) though I could be wrong. 'So f*****g easy' the Gers fans sang...they weren't wrong...

Tend to pop into games when I'm on my holibobs. Well, alright I plan my holdiays around the game, but that isn't the point. So other than Scottish games, which I clocked a few up from...

Real Madrid v Real Betis. Cracking stadium, including the heaters in the roof, which keeps all the atmosphere in due to the straight up nature of the stands. Sadly, an awful game (0-0) - not aided by multitudes of Japanese tourists who didn't exactly add to the noise levels.

Barcelona v Villareal. Big stadium. Atmosphere as flat as a pancake. Suffers a similar problem to Real in that it is full of pointing tourists. The difference being that the whole noise goes out of the non-existant roof. Another crap game as well. 1-0 Barca.

Espanyol v Atletico. This must be one of the grounds with the best settings. It's like having a game in a millionnaires personal ground, in his back garden. Sadly the stadium has seen much better days. Seats just torn off and liying around. A sparse crowd in a stadium far to big for their purpose. They desperately need to move to their own ground. Finished 1-1, but wasn't particularly enspiring.

Inter v Parma. Completely one sided game, but it was more about visiting the ground. Thought the atmosphere was decent, but not exactly top notch. It was generally just a bunch of flare waving folk behind the goals - with the rest a bit quiet. It didn't help that the game was a 2-0 stroll in the park for Inter.

Fiorentina v Lecce(?). I think it was Lecce. It was someone positively awful, and finished 4-0 to Fiorentina. A ground with a bit of character to it, and certainly alot more atmosphere than some of the others visited. Startling performance from Reginaldo that game. Abiding memory: inhaling about 400 cigarette's worth of smoke despite not being a smoker.

FC Nurnberg v Wolfsberg. Managed by the skin of my teeth to get tickets. Got in. Belting game. Penalty missed by Wolfsberg. Nurnberg scored when the keeper let the ball through his body. It rained a bit. Well, alot. Abandoned at half time. Absolutely soaked, but in a way that it was so much it was funny. First taste of German football, and was pretty impressed.

SpVgg Unterhaching v Wacker Burghausen. Well, who doesn't want to watch third division footie? I liked Haching. Had a more 'local football club' feel to it. With it being a semi-local type game, there was a bit of an atmosphere - including a bit of fighting in the park beforehand. Nice atmosphere in the ground though - plenty of beer drinking whilst watching the game went on. Going back on the train accompanied by a load of armed coppers was slightly worrying.

Eintracht Frankfurt v Bayern Munich. Had to go in the away end for this one, as those were the only tickets available. Good game though, 3-1 to Bayern, but could have gone either way. The atmosphere was tremendous.

Koln v Osnabruck. Bit one sided. Bit of a big ground for the number of fans. You expect when full it could be awesome. As it was, just think Sunderland.

TSV Munich v SV Wehen. Impression of a team that has fallen on hard times. Fantastic ground. Not theirs. Great atmosphere. Not when they are playing though. Won the game. But went down though. I can't think of many more disheartening scenarios. But it was a Thursday night, and an extra game to get in.

Dinamo Zagreb v erm.... Fairly empty ground, despite it being a Championship winning game. Superstars like Modric, Eduardo, Corluke playing with a bunch of players not out of place in our division. Add to this the maddest bunch of fans I've ever seen anywhere, and it made for a great day out.

The ones that stand out from the rest that I've seen;

Saw two of the Toyota cup matches in Bangkok in 1989 (One of the teams played in pink! - Bangkok Bank I think)

AEK vs Panathanaikos in 86(?) - A VERY hostile atmosphere.

Roma vs Liverpool 1984 European Cup Final - another hostile one.

Juventus vs Liverpool 1985 European Cup Final - The ill-fated Heysel match when 39 died. Terrible night.

The ones that stand out from the rest that I've seen;

Saw two of the Toyota cup matches in Bangkok in 1989 (One of the teams played in pink! - Bangkok Bank I think)

AEK vs Panathanaikos in 86(?) - A VERY hostile atmosphere.

Roma vs Liverpool 1984 European Cup Final - another hostile one.

Juventus vs Liverpool 1985 European Cup Final - The ill-fated Heysel match when 39 died. Terrible night.

BKK Bank FC did play in pink. Sadly they went out of business after being relagated from the TPL. I was at their last match.

Current premier league club, Chula Utd, play in pink in honour of King Rama 5. Pink is an auspicious colour in Thailand and it is tradition to wear something pink on Tuesdays.

As the Latics will be playing in the early hours of Tuesday morning here, I hope that it's an omen.

To go back to the original thread, I've watched matches in Singapore and Cambodia.

Interesting thread for me this.

One no Latics game was Chelsea v Aston Villa 8th Nov 2006. (freebie in Sponsors Box through work) About 3 months after Marin O Neill was appointed.

I remember everyone talking about wahat a great motivator Martin O neill was.

Chelsea won 4-0 and Aston Villa were gash, it has to be said.

THey included Barry (who stod out for me).

Now 2 and a bit years alter, Villa are 4th.

Interesting that he waapoointed not long after Sheridan, and how they are simialr positions, and it asking a few years to get the side gelling.

It takes time to build a side.

Been to Barca v Betis, a few seasons back when Barca had an awesome side, and Betis got into the Champions League. 3-3 draw, had 2 pens, a sending off, dubious goals for Betis and Barca and a last minute equaliser from Barca. The roar was unbelieveable.

Seen a few Scottish games, pretty non-descript really. Been watching England about 10 times abroad too, the last being in 1999.

Future plans, South American football please. Would love to spend a month or two travelling round seeing a few games.

The last game I went to abroad was Barcelona Vs Espanyol a few weeks ago.

Atmosphere and fans were excellent....as were Messi and Bojan

The best game I has seen abroad was Utrecht Vs Ajax when Ajax had all their young stars around 15 years ago.