Stockport County In Trouble

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not justifying what latics did tho am I? It is about time clubs start to cut their cloth accordingly. We had our problems due to Moore and were one of the first in recent times to come so close to folding. We were surely a warning to these other clubs. Or is it just they think we'll get outta trouble in the end, everyone else has.

Go on give me the figure though?

We were not one of the first to nearly go under in recent times football clubs have been on the brink of bankruptcy or even going bust for aslong as I can remember. The only way football will and has survived at this level is if the smaller clubs loook after each other we may well go through another summer of hell in the future. We are only surviving now because TTA genourously bail us out each year covering our losses. Without them it wouldn't be too long before we were in the same kind of trouble it may happen again I certainly wouldn't count against it.

Why are County's finances so dire? They have been on the up in recent seasons with improving attendances and a successful play-off campaign. They have also sold players (notably Dickinson for 750k/1M) and Gannon is renowned for bringing through youngsters whilst ditching experience.

Bizzare.

Why are County's finances so dire? They have been on the up in recent seasons with improving attendances and a successful play-off campaign. They have also sold players (notably Dickinson for 750k/1M) and Gannon is renowned for bringing through youngsters whilst ditching experience.

Bizzare.

Sale Sharks bleed them dry.

And previous directors who are still owed money from previous cash problems are now calling it in.

Bizzare.

Its not just last season its over a period of time the big problem with a trust owned club is generating capital. Football clubs don't make money on the football side of thing look at us we are on the up weve had big cup games been on tv yets still TTA are plugging a massive whole in our finances, If TTA sold up to the trust then within a few years we would be in a very similar position

Bizzare.

Read opinions4u's post. A third of all transfer fee's got to Cheshire Holdings/ Sale Sharks & they owe previous directors cash from purchase time. They bought it like a sofa - interest free for 3yrs etc.

Cheers for the replies. It sounds a quite perculiar and unique scenario but like somebody alluded to it is strange that anybody who they owe a lot of money to would be chasing it so aggressively.

Maybe they want to go bust? :o What are the football club specific consequences? Surely not just a point deduction? :unsure:

Cheers for the replies. It sounds a quite perculiar and unique scenario but like somebody alluded to it is strange that anybody who they owe a lot of money to would be chasing it so aggressively.

Maybe they want to go bust? :o What are the football club specific consequences? Surely not just a point deduction? :unsure:

As far as my limited knowledge goes, all they get is a points deduction. There is a recession on now though, maybe ex directors are genuinely skint!

Stockport County has been at the heart of the Stockport community for over 125 years. However, it is now facing significant financial and operational difficulties which are jeopardising its survival as a football league club.

Sign Here

Signed. It's about time clubs in the Prem voluntarily gave up a percentage of their TV money to lower league clubs.

Signed. It's about time clubs in the Prem voluntarily gave up a percentage of their TV money to lower league clubs.

Agreed. Or for sky or whoever to realise that they should be paying football league teams more than the pathetic sum we get now. And hopefully teams will use it in the right way by using it to pay the bills or invest it in ways to make more money. Unlike the NTL episode where everyone saw it as a time to go and pay players silly wages.

Agreed. Or for sky or whoever to realise that they should be paying football league teams more than the pathetic sum we get now. And hopefully teams will use it in the right way by using it to pay the bills or invest it in ways to make more money. Unlike the NTL episode where everyone saw it as a time to go and pay players silly wages.

Signed it and good luck county heard all about this and more about a month ago . The 26th MARCH will be a significant date for county and possibly up to nine other clubs.It is somewhat worse for county though as they have no tangible assets.The worst case scenario which is possible in countys case is liquidation,that would be a disaster for them and football.

Possible help is probably waiting in the wings to get the club at the lowest price,but it may be too late then.

I hope they survive I dont wish what nearly happened to us on county at all. It is also worth remembering county is run by a trust make of that what you will,but be thankfull for what we have.I could add more but I was somewhat shouted down last time I mentioned this but things are starting to seep out now .

Whatever happens good luck county hope you survive.

Signed it and good luck county heard all about this and more about a month ago . The 26th MARCH will be a significant date for county and possibly up to nine other clubs.It is somewhat worse for county though as they have no tangible assets.The worst case scenario which is possible in countys case is liquidation,that would be a disaster for them and football.

Possible help is probably waiting in the wings to get the club at the lowest price,but it may be too late then.

I hope they survive I dont wish what nearly happened to us on county at all. It is also worth remembering county is run by a trust make of that what you will,but be thankfull for what we have.I could add more but I was somewhat shouted down last time I mentioned this but things are starting to seep out now .

Whatever happens good luck county hope you survive.

Signed. I have fond memories of GMR's match reports. County were a part of that institution. Long may they continue to be.

Signed and all the best of luck. I hate to hear about clubs going out of business and unfortunately it is happening more and more now since the introduction of the greedy league. I agree these fat cat clubs should be doing more to help their smaller neighbours. City wouldn't miss a few quid to help Stockport out. After all, Stockport's gates (and ours) would be bigger if we weren't so close to them and Utd.

I wish them all the best, I'm sure they'll pull through. Must be a real gutwrench for them, we've all been there and know it aint no fun.

However, now that I've put a small amount of money in their 'cyberbucket' can I bang on about it whenever we play them and become outraged if they dont worship Oldham Athletic and the ground that I walk on?

Thank you to everybody who has signed that, its really nice of you :-)

And to answer the doubters, the money has been building up for some time, but the sale of the club from cheshire sports to the supporters trust left us with FA assets.

At the end of the day, the club is owned by the fans but we don't exactly have much say, and the people that have previously been running the club (if we're to believe what we've been told - Mark Maguire), then bills were hidden and nothing was conversed to the fans, therefore we did not have a clue about what was going on until its been too late. 100K is much easier to raise than say 500K!

We were lied to, and told that figure of debt was less than a quarter of what it is in reality. It actually led a lot of people to question how valuble our support is, why would they not tell us what's going on??

Basically its not about asking the council for money and only money, obviously that would be really nice, its more asking them to agree to help us. Its about having a guarantee that next season I can actually go and watch my team play.

Things, as have been mentioned are REALLY bad. We don't own our ground, and from match day most money goes to cheshire sports/directors etc, and all marketing money and from hospitality goes to sale sharks - we have no way of actually making profit!! Its also not good that each time we sell a player we actually come out with around 1/5 or 2/5 of the actual amount thats paid for them!

Without County, I actually do believe that it would be a sad day for football. Stockport County is what puts Stockport on the map...if I was to ask people to name something they'd associate with stockport 9/10 times it would be Stockport County!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something can be worked out. I think i'm one of the biggest critics of the supposed fan that has ruined county, and the club as a whole. My massive concern is who would want to invest in or infact buy county right now? They'd be buying a business with no assets, with no margin to make profit?

Its looking pretty likely that the only way we can improve and gain a position of success is to move elsewhere or gain back control of Edgeley Park. EP I love so I hope something can be sorted there!

Thanks again for your support :-)

x

Didn't they have bucket collections for us when we went through this??

Wasn't that Notts County? They collected for us and York City in consecutive weeks/home games didn't they?

Not that it really matters in this context. Anyone lording it up at this point is a small and spiteful person.