Lee Hughes Omitted from the Squad

Exactly, the tone of a text. The commentry on LW at Cheltenham suggested that he was carrying a knock which is why I believe he's been left out of the squad.

As for next season, I reckon the contract offer of a few months ago still stands, but can see him heading for a newly promoted Championship team next season and not us. Definitely good enough for that level still - he's got just short of 20 goals for us, and many of those he's made himself. I think the likes of Lewi and Smalley will be featuring more often, and if Joe's still in charge we'll have a big towering lump amongst them too.

Squad News: Joe Royle has confirmed that Lee Hughes has been omitted from the squad to face Leyton Orient.

Word for word, not injured, not struggling 'omitted'..that to me suggests dropped. However, think what you like.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewis and Smalley upfront would be worth a look (not that Smalley will ever be a striker of note, stick to the wing Deano).

We really will be in trouble if Kabba stays.

Kabba linked well with Lewi once Hughes had gone off, but I would like to see Lewi and Smalley given a go, they have a very good undertstanding and know each other inside out.

Squad News: Joe Royle has confirmed that Lee Hughes has been omitted from the squad to face Leyton Orient.

Word for word, not injured, not struggling 'omitted'..that to me suggests dropped. However, think what you like.

Omitted means left out. Omitted doesn't have a reason to it. I happen to think you could be right, but I'm more inclined to think it's because he's not fit.

But I do like this. The reason why we've not fired on all cylinders is because of our leading scorer Lee Hughes? Like taking him out of the equation is the answer to all our problems.

(not that Smalley will ever be a striker of note, stick to the wing Deano).

We really will be in trouble if Kabba stays.

i dont know about that, smalley has improved over the last 6 months a great deal, (contrary to popular belief)

he is a confidence player and he has improved his strenghth, so he could be a good option up front now, his movement is needed for one.

and if joe has given up on this season then he had better stay....i wouldnt mind half as much if this is the beginning of him building his own squad

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1603616,00.html

I've read the OS above so I think it's time to say bye to Lee. Obviously Joe as had a word with Lee and that didn't go to well. Does he have a clause triggering a payment at 20 goals?, has Lee already sorted a signing on fee out at another club? As the club accepted we're going nowhere this season now?

Well Joe's the manager and if he feels it's of no use to the club that Lee play's at part at Orient, baffling or not so be it. On a plus side it sounds like Joe whats to start the re-building which could possibly mean he intends to see it through. Whilst the budget starts it's reduction now.

Edited by Lags

there's always chris o'grady....

exactly..........

'with a big lump in the mix too'..........

now either my eyesight is going or isn't COG a big-ass lump who, on his limited chances, did a commendable job of holding the ball up & being a big old nuisance up top.

I expect him to feature heavily next season - he could be a real asset

Omitted means left out. Omitted doesn't have a reason to it. I happen to think you could be right, but I'm more inclined to think it's because he's not fit.

But I do like this. The reason why we've not fired on all cylinders is because of our leading scorer Lee Hughes? Like taking him out of the equation is the answer to all our problems.

No it isn't the answer to all our problems Jamie, it's about trying to pull everyone together to try and root out the disparity within the camp. Allegedly Hughes was one of the protagonists in 'Doggygate'. Joe's not daft he's asserting his authority letting it be known that only the best will do and he knows that many of the senior players have been letting their team mates down week after week. It seems Hughes has been singled out by Joe and being made an example of, a clear message to those out of contract in the summer and those who still have deals to get their arses into gear. Will it come back to haunt Joe? Tbh the play offs have gone, given the GD it is still 6 points to haul back over 6 games and Scunny have the large majority of their games at Glanford Park which will easily see them home. Leeds, Millwall and Peterborough have all hit purple patches and despite the Mongs only winning 1 in 8 (who was that against?!) have enough points in the bank, so it really is game over. Let Joe asess the squad so he can put together his retained list.

Are we seeing a trend for the manager getting tough with those not giving 100%?

Alessandra in training?

Eardley v Trannies?

Hughes v Cheltenham?

I think I like it. Even if it does appear to be a confession that the season's over. It also appears to be a statement that Joe Royle could well be manager for next season.

If he's thinking along the lines of big wage players coming to the end of their contracts, then has he already told us Gregan isn't playing this weekend too?

Edited by opinions4u

Not read all the posts on here so I don't know the general opinion on here so I might just have the wrong end of the stick but does this mean we have given up on making the play offs???

If so thats it for me this season, no more games. All year myself and many i know like me have scrimped and saved to make sure we can make it to Boundary Park, this isn't a sob story but its fact that i haven't been paid in over 3 months, im due in court for non payments of loans and credit cards and my house is in serious danger but the one thing i have kept paying for is football! Admittedly i have had to miss the majority of away games but i have still managed to raise enough money to go and support the lads on a Saturday afternoon down at BP. Now i ask myself why, why bother if we have given up already. I'm not doing it anymore, im not paying and going without something else if the club has given up on playoffs. Yes Lee Hughes will probabley be gone next season but if he can score us the goals to get us up via the play offs then why leave him out now? Makes no sense at all to me but i won't be at BP again this season, why bother!

Rant over

Kabba isn't 100% fit if you ask me and hasn't really done anything for us yet

Moving Smalley up front meand a place for Fabio on the wing

i wouldnt mind seeing smalley and lewis up front, one of our best attacking peformances last season was when hughes went off injured against carlisle and those 2 ripped them to pieces, 1 year on they may be able to finish the chances they create...hopefully

Edited by palmer1

No it isn't the answer to all our problems Jamie, it's about trying to pull everyone together to try and root out the disparity within the camp. Allegedly Hughes was one of the protagonists in 'Doggygate'. Joe's not daft he's asserting his authority letting it be known that only the best will do and he knows that many of the senior players have been letting their team mates down week after week. It seems Hughes has been singled out by Joe and being made an example of, a clear message to those out of contract in the summer and those who still have deals to get their arses into gear. Will it come back to haunt Joe? Tbh the play offs have gone, given the GD it is still 6 points to haul back over 6 games and Scunny have the large majority of their games at Glanford Park which will easily see them home. Leeds, Millwall and Peterborough have all hit purple patches and despite the Mongs only winning 1 in 8 (who was that against?!) have enough points in the bank, so it really is game over. Let Joe asess the squad so he can put together his retained list.

Aye, you're probably right in that mate. Just seems a crushingly disappointing thing to see your club even give up on promotion though. It's become apparent that there is strife in the camp and we'll probably see if that's the case within a couple of games.

Roll on next August then.

Who says that we have given up hope for the playoffs

Everyone said we played a lot better on Tuesday once Lee had been subbed

Lets hope the same happens on Saturday then and we pick up 3 vital points

Not read all the posts on here so I don't know the general opinion on here so I might just have the wrong end of the stick but does this mean we have given up on making the play offs???

If so thats it for me this season, no more games. All year myself and many i know like me have scrimped and saved to make sure we can make it to Boundary Park, this isn't a sob story but its fact that i haven't been paid in over 3 months, im due in court for non payments of loans and credit cards and my house is in serious danger but the one thing i have kept paying for is football! Admittedly i have had to miss the majority of away games but i have still managed to raise enough money to go and support the lads on a Saturday afternoon down at BP. Now i ask myself why, why bother if we have given up already. I'm not doing it anymore, im not paying and going without something else if the club has given up on playoffs. Yes Lee Hughes will probabley be gone next season but if he can score us the goals to get us up via the play offs then why leave him out now? Makes no sense at all to me but i won't be at BP again this season, why bother!

Rant over

Can I just say.......I love OAFC with a passion however, in your situation I wouldn't have been going to BP months ago. Somethings are just too important in life.

Who says that we have given up hope for the playoffs

Everyone said we played a lot better on Tuesday once Lee had been subbed

Lets hope the same happens on Saturday then and we pick up 3 vital points

The tone of the OS item says we have given up for this season as Joe is experimenting already. In his first reign Joe gave up on automatic promotion too easily.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1603616,00.html

We only played better on Tuesday after Hughes was subbed because Cheltenham defended much deeper, but I still say Hughes would have taken the chances then created ("open goal headers" - Joe's words) and we would have got the three points. Nobody else looks likely to score!