Lee Hughes Omitted from the Squad

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... but not even on the bench???

why not. Joe explains it all on the official site.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1603616,00.html

we drop our top striker when we still have a reasonable chance of the play offs???

Our top striker he may be, but he's been off form for a fair old while now and has looked out of his depth in recent games. He hasnt moved, he doesnt chase balls like he did at the start of the season and generally doesnt look like a player who deserves to be starting. We've got Allesandra on the bench who comes on and looks to actually want to be playing, so why not give him the chance he fully deserves.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

QUOTE (wardlelatic @ Mar 26 2009, 15:30 PM)

Maybe Lee has gone to the seaside for some sea air ?

Heh I take it you've had a similar text then?

:dedhrse:

So is this a Heinz Ketchup sauce-solid reliable know what you are getting or a Lidl sauce could be any old rubbish inside but might be spot on?

Edited by singe

Going off recent claims of his attitude and poor performances, I can't see anything baffling by the decision, it's taken an experienced manager less than 2 weeks to see that he obviously has no intention of playing for the club next season and is giving others a go. Maybe if Shez had been brave enough to make this decision earlier, we would have had another recognised goalscorer as they'd have had a few games under their belts.

Hughes' goalscoring contribution has been top notch - thank you, but if his head and wallet are elswehere then tara Lee.

well done JR, sort 'em out.

As for giving up on the play offs - if anybody thinks that the decision to drop Hughes will have a bigger bearing on our play off chances than the last 3 months results and performances, then now might be a good time to remove the blinkers.

Exactly, the tone of a text. The commentry on LW at Cheltenham suggested that he was carrying a knock which is why I believe he's been left out of the squad.

As for next season, I reckon the contract offer of a few months ago still stands, but can see him heading for a newly promoted Championship team next season and not us. Definitely good enough for that level still - he's got just short of 20 goals for us, and many of those he's made himself. I think the likes of Lewi and Smalley will be featuring more often, and if Joe's still in charge we'll have a big towering lump amongst them too.

Wouldnt be too sure about that contract lol :blush:

why not. Joe explains it all on the official site.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1603616,00.html

Our top striker he may be, but he's been off form for a fair old while now and has looked out of his depth in recent games. He hasnt moved, he doesnt chase balls like he did at the start of the season and generally doesnt look like a player who deserves to be starting. We've got Allesandra on the bench who comes on and looks to actually want to be playing, so why not give him the chance he fully deserves.

Or Royle could have paired Hughes up with the only player he's looked comfortable with this season and not throw away the last glimmer we have of promotion.

Or Royle could have paired Hughes up with the only player he's looked comfortable with this season and not throw away the last glimmer we have of promotion.

glimmer of hope went out of the window well and truely on tuesday night.

Funny how every single game even following defeats seems to be a "must win" - we're 5 points behind the playoffs, having played a game more and chasing teams who have a far superior goal difference to ours.

We've more chance of either me or you winning the lottery than getting in the playoffs. Especially given performances on the whole since christmas.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Our top scorer could be leaving. YAY!!!

I love Lewi, he's scored in 2 games this season, and Kabba...he's scored in none. Nothing's going to stop us now!

Seriously, we're off the playoff pace but it's still not beyond the realms of possibility, and people are rejoicing in the fact that the manager's decided to drop the top scorer and the only striker who, barring one game this season, has looked like scoring for us.

'Sheridan wouldn't have had the balls to drop Hughes'...no, he'd have the common sense not to.

Livid.

I love Lewi, he's scored in 2 games this season, and Kabba...he's scored in none. Nothing's going to stop us now!

Seriously, we're off the playoff pace but it's still not beyond the realms of possibility, and people are rejoicing in the fact that the manager's decided to drop the top scorer and the only striker who, barring one game this season, has looked like scoring for us.

'Sheridan wouldn't have had the balls to drop Hughes'...no, he'd have the common sense not to.

Livid.

agree, the word fickle comes to mind.

Livid.

Without wanting to appear sarcastic, what's his record ben in the last 10 games - any stattos help required please.

I don't think people are rejoicing, i'm sure many are very disappointed - however given his recent performances/goals is now not a good time?

I think their is a lot going on behind the scenes.... Dogs etc may have created problems which are still there...

Your always thinking the worse of people...

Livid.

Just like he (Shez) had the common sense to go and bring in a 30+ year old striker (time and time again, like that was what we were always clearly missing??), which all did f**k all whilst he (Allesandra) sat and twiddled his thumbs on the bench waiting for a chance.

Without wanting to appear sarcastic, what's his record ben in the last 10 games - any stattos help required please.

I don't think people are rejoicing, i'm sure many are very disappointed - however given his recent performances/goals is now not a good time?

3 goals in the last 10

The 10 before that 6

Net bustingly good...

Livid.

And heres the first conflict, to some can 'Big Joe' be doubted?

3 goals in 10 games.

JSS is slagging off Allesandra for his goalscoring profile. Yet Hughes has a similar one the last 10 to Allesandra's games started one. Which is also very similar to Hughes's opening 10 games this season where he only scored in 3 of the opening 10 games. But hey ho, I guess there's certain players who cant be dropped - didnt sheridan say that no one's position was guarenteed in his time here? Joe's proved that with this and it should be a kick up the backside for one or two others at this club. Show them who's in charge Joe. Hughes has been underperforming for a while now and a kid at this club deserves his chance.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

this really suprises me for a number of reasons

1) Royle says we've no one to score goals apart from Hughes, then doesnt put him in squad! Surely have him on bench at a minimum

2) Surely this says to the players I dont think your gonna make playoffs so I'm gonna try things, which in turn means players wont be arsed trying

3) Why is Royle looking to next season when he is only manager til end of this season, surely its for new manager to decided who he wants and how to play! Unless Joe knows something we dont about his contract.

4) With only Smalley Lewi and Kabba doesnt give us much option if we need to change things due to injury or losing etc

5) Royle was brought into to push into play offs not look to next season, we may as well have stayed with Shez in that case.

I'd be really interested to see Lewi and Deano up front together. Bags of pace to trouble defences. If we are planning for next season would like to see COG recalled (if possible) and have a look at him with Lewi and Deano. Not convinced with Kabba myself but I believe he was better 2nd half on Tues so maybe Joe has seen something in training.

Ah well here is to League One football next year!!

this really suprises me for a number of reasons

1) Royle says we've no one to score goals apart from Hughes, then doesnt put him in squad! Surely have him on bench at a minimum

2) Surely this says to the players I dont think your gonna make playoffs so I'm gonna try things, which in turn means players wont be arsed trying

3) Why is Royle looking to next season when he is only manager til end of this season, surely its for new manager to decided who he wants and how to play! Unless Joe knows something we dont about his contract.

4) With only Smalley Lewi and Kabba doesnt give us much option if we need to change things due to injury or losing etc

5) Royle was brought into to push into play offs not look to next season, we may as well have stayed with Shez in that case.

I'd be really interested to see Lewi and Deano up front together. Bags of pace to trouble defences. If we are planning for next season would like to see COG recalled (if possible) and have a look at him with Lewi and Deano. Not convinced with Kabba myself but I believe he was better 2nd half on Tues so maybe Joe has seen something in training.

Ah well here is to League One football next year!!

Because he's not going to be here?? :blink: