Hughes to The Lashers!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it...

After the Cheltenham game most people said the season was over anyway, so why is everybody crying about it now?

Hughes hasn’t looked the slightest bit interested since he wasn’t allowed to leave in Jan and since then has scored 3 goals.

Joe Royle wanted to look at some of the younger players (something which shez got slated for not doing) and different partnerships upfront which meant paying Hughes £1500 or what ever per week to train and sit on the bench.

He was never going to sign the new contract to keep him here, so we withdrew it!

I'd have thought it would have been Lee in for the criticism after showing no loyalty after us taking the flack for signing him in the first place. Not questioning the owners/managers ambition. Some people need to get real!

I dont see what the problem is, he wasn’t performing, he wasn’t going to be here next year so we've let him move on!

Everyone keeps thinking Lee Hughes Lee hughes

The fact is, the clubs leading scorer who could make a goal out of nothing has been let go with 7 games left !

Wolfy, Taylor, Smalley et al..... if it was one of these guys who had the ability and scoring recorded that made them the clubs leading scorer was let go I would just be has frustrated.

Its not Lee Hughes, its the player situation that frustrates me. After all that TTA and the fans have done this season letting the top scorer go is CRAZY

How many strikers have we used since Jan that havent scored ????

Isnt it due to the service to the strikers that have stopped them scoring ????

We still have a chance of the Play offs, its just today we dont have the same chance as we did yesterday. The player who could score goals like he did at Leeds, southend away out of nothing isnt at the club.

Keep the Faith ? Keep my money in my pocket now until Aug more like !

Everyone keeps thinking Lee Hughes Lee hughes

The fact is, the clubs leading scorer whoi could make a goal out of nothing has been let go with 7 games left !

Wolfy, Taylor, Smalley et al..... if it was one of these guys who had the ability and scoring recorded that made them the clubs leading scorer was let go I would just be has frustrated.

Its not Lee Hughes, its the player situation that frustrates me. After all that TTA and the fans have done this season letting the top scorer go is CRAZY

How many striker have we used since Jan that havent scored ????

Isnt it due to the service to the strikers that have stopped them scoring ????

We still have a chance of the Play offs, its just today we dont have the same chance has we did yesterday. The player who could score goals like he did at Leeds, southend away out of nothing isnt at the club.

Keep the Faith ? Keep my money in my pocket now until Aug more like !

Hughes has scored 18, the rest of the team have got 40. Perhaps Joe thinks that the other members of the team will chip in with more goals than Hughes can do on his own.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

More and more I think about this leads me to believe another cover-up at the club. There must have been a bust-up or something, because for Royle to go one week "Hughes is our only scoring outlet" to packing his bag and sending up to Donkeyland within 5 days just strikes me as very odd. It's also a huge statement from the club - I mean, why didn't they just go and do it after doggate? He was no worser egg now than he was then.

It transpires in the Bison that we missed out on Alan Lee from Palace, so perhaps it was Hughes the makeweight but Lee never arrived? Who knows?

Again, as much as people knock Hughes for saying he'd not been up to it for weeks, his ratio is still good enough and it's clear what we are/were lacking is midfielders getting into the box more, of which Joe touched upon in his latest interview yesterday. But still, do any of us have any real optimism on Kabba and the baby crew firing us up the table with the last few games? I know I certainly haven't.

In hindsight, perhaps a factor of it was his yellow card tightrope, but he's been on that for months so it's not sure he will pick up another booking. He's kept the idiotic petulance at bay, which most of his bookings were for anyway. I reckon he'd probably go without getting booked, and once he scores a couple of times for them the hullaballo with their fans will settle down - because fans are creatures of habit, and a goalscorer always does calm people down.

Despite all this I am fairly confident on us going and getting the win at Orient. And in true Tics 'pricktease' fashion we'll probably go and do Peterborough (and the form table) over too, but I can't see us getting any more than that. Certainly not 5 wins or more which will be required as a minimum.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I dont get it...

After the Cheltenham game most people said the season was over anyway, so why is everybody crying about it now?

Hughes hasn’t looked the slightest bit interested since he wasn’t allowed to leave in Jan and since then has scored 3 goals.

Joe Royle wanted to look at some of the younger players (something which shez got slated for not doing) and different partnerships upfront which meant paying Hughes £1500 or what ever per week to train and sit on the bench.

He was never going to sign the new contract to keep him here, so we withdrew it!

I'd have thought it would have been Lee in for the criticism after showing no loyalty after us taking the flack for signing him in the first place. Not questioning the owners/managers ambition. Some people need to get real!

I dont see what the problem is, he wasn’t performing, he wasn’t going to be here next year so we've let him move on!

Those are my thoughts on the matter too........

Lee Hughes alone wasn't single-handedly going to inspire us to launch a promotion charge up the league - especially in the absolutely awful from he has been in. Getting shot now if JR wasn't going to use him for the remainder of games just makes sense financially & for the moral of the team too (sulky kid Windass syndrome)

Thanks for your time here Lee; when you've been on form on your day you've been great to watch - but your attitude since Jan has let you down big time.

As others have said - Lewis & Deano know each oters game inside out & always appear happy to play together. I remember the cold Tuesday night that they ripped Carslile to shredds playing up-top together......you have 7 games lads to prove your points. Oh & Mr Kabba, 7 games to earn a contract.....over to you boys.

Cheers Lee & Bye.

OK OK!!!! I retract the statement about everyone except Coco loving him. I accept that there are plenty that dislike him, but i bet you all jumped for joy every time he scored. And statistically, the rest of the strikers, past and present this season (think there has benn 8 of them), managed 6 goals between them. Even if you add our second leading marksman its only 16!!!! He scores goals, the others dont. Thats pretty much the long and short of it.

Oh, thats not including Craaiiiiiiiig Davies. Cant remember if he scored this season.

Miffed.

The more I think about this, the more I'm furious about it. How, in the space of two months, can we go from offering the biggest pay packet at the club, to effectively releasing him barely two months later?

Why loan him out now, why not just release him at the end of the season if we can't afford him?

The club have made it clear that he is on £80,000, which equates to roundabout £1500 per week. In view of the amount TTA are losing, saving just a few grand is madness.

What happens if we get into the playoffs?

Who would anyone prefer upfront? Hughes or Smalley/Lewis?

The more I think about this, the more I'm furious about it. How, in the space of two months, can we go from offering the biggest pay packet at the club, to effectively releasing him barely two months later?

Why loan him out now, why not just release him at the end of the season if we can't afford him?

The club have made it clear that he is on £80,000, which equates to roundabout £1500 per week. In view of the amount TTA are losing, saving just a few grand is madness.

What happens if we get into the playoffs?

Who would anyone prefer upfront? Hughes or Smalley/Lewis?

If we get into the playoffs it would be a miracle. If that did happen we would be the form team and shouldn't be afraid of the play off games

If we get into the playoffs it would be a miracle. If that did happen we would be the form team and shouldn't be afraid of the play off games

Just 1 point of interest that noone appears to have mentioned (unless this is a :titanic: moment) is that IF we were to make the playoffs, Hughes would actually be back with us as his loan with Blackpool will have finished as they cannot make the playoffs.

Stranger things have happened.

Cheers,

Harry

I was at last weeks game as a rovers fan. He had a seriously off game - me and the lad I went up there, were thanking god he was in poor form cause if he'd have been on top of his game we would have well been beat.

The way hughes smiled at his abuse for his crimes was sickening. But then again, he had served his time... doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

If he thinks he is bigger than your club and is going to throw his weight around now things are a fight to get a playoff place, you are better off without him.

In this league you can still easily get in. Southend werent safe 3 weeks ago, now they are pushing for 6th spot.

Anything can happen yet - it's not over till the last day. Our two clubs should know that more than most.

I was at last weeks game as a rovers fan. He had a seriously off game - me and the lad I went up there, were thanking god he was in poor form cause if he'd have been on top of his game we would have well been beat.

The way hughes smiled at his abuse for his crimes was sickening. But then again, he had served his time... doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?

If he thinks he is bigger than your club and is going to throw his weight around now things are a fight to get a playoff place, you are better off without him.

In this league you can still easily get in. Southend werent safe 3 weeks ago, now they are pushing for 6th spot.

Anything can happen yet - it's not over till the last day. Our two clubs should know that more than most.

Cheers for your 'balanced' comments - however i cannot see how smiling at the abuse he received was 'sickening!' Is he supposed to react with two fingers stuck up or 'do a kung foo' kick into the crowd?

Perhaps if he'd have scored, he could have just stood in front of you and cupped his ear!! :wink:

All the best.

Cheers for your 'balanced' comments - however i cannot see how smiling at the abuse he received was 'sickening!' Is he supposed to react with two fingers stuck up or 'do a kung foo' kick into the crowd?

Perhaps if he'd have scored, he could have just stood in front of you and cupped his ear!! :wink:

All the best.

The silence from the club on this issue is deafening! Something as big as this is usually followed by an explanation on the OS, but nothing this time.....why?

It's all a bit strange. I know Hughesy is out of form, but I would have thought having him on the bench would be very useful if it wasn't working out with the kids. More to this than meets the eye. Has he done something naughty again!!

I don't think it's any secret that whilst he has been here, his "alleged" off the field exploits have not won him much respect within the club and coupled with his refusal to sign a bigger, better contract and a 'slump' in form from this point on, makes the decision a bit more straight forward from the clubs point of view i would think.

One more booking and he is suspended - why should the club continue to pay wages to an out of form player, likely to miss games, for the rest of the season? Before January and his lack of form i didn't think i'd say this but.... He's been a very good goalscorer in his short time here - but thank you now Lee - good luck (i feel you may need it there!)