Hughes to The Lashers!

If you had read my post properly, I didn't say they wouldn't notice I said that they wouldn't be interested and they won't they'll be too busy making sure they prepare properly instead of worrying about us!!!

It didn't make a difference that Hughes played against Tranmere and Cheltenham did it...if he's causing discontent at the club it's best he goes now. 4 wins out of 17 if you think we would be good enough with an unhappy Hughes staying until the end of the season then I don't know what team you have been watching!

It might not be good enough, but we can be damn sure it won't be good enough without his goal input. Yep, you're right it didn't make the difference in the last two games, so we should just offload now, right? Love it, reactionary posts.

Bottom line is, over the course of a season, and in a lot of key games Hughes' goals have gotten us right up to the cusp. And that's with :censored: service and even through times when the knives have been out for him off the field. He scores goals, and he'll be a goal machine in this division with a proper feed. I just don't believe, other than doing something like boning the chairman's wife over his own desk or snatching away Hardy's stash of newborns that we should have gotten ridden now rather than at the end of the season. It's like cutting off your head to cure a headache.

Cutting the cloth? Nah, I don't buy that. Assuming he's on £1,500 a week which is the figure what everyone keeps bandying about, it's about £20k to fork out. The club lose that amount per week so it's hardly big bucks right now. IF the TTA still felt we'd make the playoffs they'd back that, but Hughes going spells it out in huge monumental letters to me.

Oh, yer first bit. Hmmmm. Not interested you say? Wrong on any level. Yep, they'll not be taking their eye off the prize, but I'll guarantee you one thing; they won't be classing us anywhere near the promotion rivals they classed us a few weeks ago.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get it. Everyone (exept Coco) thinks he's great and as soon as he's gone you all slag him and say good ridance. What a two faced bunch. I personally think its a big mistake and shows the club (or Joe) has written off the season.

Hope he's not gone because Joe couldnt forgive the reason he went to prison.

Ho hum. Keep the....... Ah forget it.

I think that you will find that statement isn't quite as true as you think it may be BJ.

Derek.

oafc1955 does make a good point FMS - 4 wins from 17 with Hughesy in the side. How many goals did has he got in this poor run of form by the side? 5. He's been almost a stranger since he got his contract and since Doncaster came in for him.

I work it that Smalley has hit 3. A player who hasn't cemented his place and a player who's been starting on the right.

Having looked at the bigger picture, my last post above I take back. I don't think I'm gonna miss Hughesy, and I'd rather have a bunch of hungry, enthusiastic players in the side. Does Michael Owen score goals when he's got little confidence? No. We're gonna lose a couple of goals if that.

Another point - Hughes scored 4/5 of his last for us against who? Stockport, Millwall, Leeds and MK. Who else ups there game against the better sides in the league? The other 10 he lined up with.

Edited by UpTheLatics

oafc1955 does make a good point FMS - 4 wins from 17 with Hughesy in the side. How many goals did has he got in this poor run of form by the side? 5. He's been almost a stranger since he got his contract and since Doncaster came in for him.

I work it that Smalley has hit 3. A player who hasn't cemented his place and a player who's been starting on the right.

Having looked at the bigger picture, my last post above I take back. I don't think I'm gonna miss Hughesy, and I'd rather have a bunch of hungry, enthusiastic players in the side. Does Michael Owen score goals when he's got little confidence? No. We're gonna lose a couple of goals if that.

Are Blackpool aware that one more booking on Saturday and he misses a 1/3 of their remaining games? Now that would be funny.

He doesn't want to sign a contract, hes running it down, so hes taking the piss out of the club like porter did when maybe we could of actually got something for him in january. its looked like we tried by advertising the 400k clause but couldn't get rid in january.

why would we want a player who doesn't want to be here? he has shown no loyalty and its insulting to the fans who have always backed him. it will be interesting to see the reception he gets in blackpool and his reaction. himself and his pay packet will always be the only thing he cares about.

listen to some doom and gloom merchant who thinks the season is over because one player has left?

or

listen to joe royle who thinks its better to trust in the youth who will want it a lot more

i trust in royle's decision being the right one and hopefully we can see for ourselves on saturday

Are Blackpool aware that one more booking on Saturday and he misses a 1/3 of their remaining games? Now that would be funny.

i personally think thats the reason hes gone,,,,mr corney touched on this point in january,,worried hughes might miss the run in due to suspension...no point in paying his wages when hes sat in the pub

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It's crystal he wouldn't be staying after this season, we knew that much when he wouldn't sign the fat contract on the table back in January. So in that case why get rid now, when there's still an inkling of playoff hope? Just hang it out til May and say "cheerio".

4 wins from 17? And that's all down to him is it? So, 5 goals in 17, it's still 1 in 3 games just about, and a far better ratio than any other sod can muster. It just shows even an unhappy Hughes and with the rest of the team playing poor he will still get you goals.

It's the message it sends out though. "Coo-eee! Millwall! Bastard Franchise Scum! Scunny! We've given up now". Y'know, I'm not his biggest fan, but realising the rest of the season will be played out with Smalley, Lewi, Kibba-Kabba and Wolfy all having a pop up front just fills with with complete emptiness. And I don't care if it's an oxymoron of a statement, our whole season's been like one.

He doesn't want to sign a contract, hes running it down, so hes taking the piss out of the club like porter did when maybe we could of actually got something for him in january. its looked like we tried by advertising the 400k clause but couldn't get rid in january.

why would we want a player who doesn't want to be here? he has shown no loyalty and its insulting to the fans who have always backed him. it will be interesting to see the reception he gets in blackpool and his reaction. himself and his pay packet will always be the only thing he cares about.

listen to some doom and gloom merchant who thinks the season is over because one player has left?

or

listen to joe royle who thinks its better to trust in the youth who will want it a lot more

i trust in royle's decision being the right one and hopefully we can see for ourselves on saturday

Well said..my sentiments exactly!

Well, when a player starts to show he can no longer be arsed, it's time for someone to act. It's steadily crept into his game, but Sheridan, who obviously couldn't develop beyond the pal role, wouldn't act. There's been a good few amount of threads on his slowing movement on the field.

The money we'll save on his wages is a fair point. No real point at this stage, but when we look at it - this is a footballer who gets his manager in a headlock during a public outing. Is that on? Joe's come in and he knows the task. He had 9 games. So when any new manager comes in, they make changes. There's something Joe doesn't want around the club in Lee, so he's got rid.

I'm not doubting his ability one minute. He's class. The best striker in the division. I've said it since he arrived. His movement etc is something I've never seen at BP. But at the same time, a major slip in form in a player like Lee and he becomes easily dropable. Personally, I couldn't see him getting back to the quality we know he is. So in a season which has simply become ":censored: or bust", I think Hughesy going will be a positive. We can't see where that positive will show itself because no manager gets rid of a player so close to the end cos of form. It's behind the scenes stuff clearly.

Our awful form isn't his fault, no, but we're obviously built around 2/3 players, and the likes of Hughesy and Taylor have never recovered from the January speculation. Earlier in the season, Hughesy made a lot of his own goals. His scoring during the last 3 month has been through some good work from the other players.

Well said..my sentiments exactly!

Ok this season has pretty died but Joe got rid of another unsettled striking hero and top scorer in Ron Futcher on deadline day 1987 -the following season his replacement was in place; Stitch and then a couple of months later FRankie Bunn was added to the attack. Things happen for a reason and if anyone knows how to spot good young talent it is Joe, Silk purse from a sow's ear was bandied about many a time about Joe's transfer dealings and why do you think Urmson's been brought back?

Looking forward to saturday, no pressure, no expectation the young lads if given a chance may have had a weight lifted from their shoulders and begin to play without fear and with freedom.

I for one am Feckin gutted, Hughesy ran his tits off a lot o the time for this club....ok form has faultered lately, but thats everyone at the club, throwin the towel in? OLDHAM ATHLETIC WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!! my arse

I've already said there could be reasons behind him going. I'm sure something has happened which has prompted this but FFS there's 6 games left. SIX. Whatever slight hope we had of sneaking into the playoffs has gone right the way up the M55. Unless he's been caught humping Corney's trouble and strife over the office desk then just keep hold of him until the end. For another 6 weeks for gods sake.

I've already explained that he's dried up a little goals wise, but he's still bagged in crucial games, like Leeds and Millwall. We don't have anyone else anywhere close to being as prolific, and it ain't going to change by getting rid of the assumed "bad egg". It'll go worse if anything. 3-0? Yeah, I can make up loads of hunky-dory type results which would spark my optimism back into life. But it just ain't gonna happen is it? And so what, if we win down at Orient, we just won't string the 4 or 5 wins together which is needed to catalyst ourselves once again.

It wasn't quite that long ago. Sure, seeds of discontent were sewn after the lacklustre home performances punctuating the season. But following the Millwall victory we were in a cracking position to cement our place in the top 6. We were 3rd FFS! It was there, and today, less than a month after that and with six whole weeks towards the end of the season it's over. Oh, of course! Time for a piss-up at Orient but that's the swansong.

Good post!

There are a lot more players apart from Hughes who have been under-performing. Their lack of effort has resulted in the loss of the manager and the goalscorer. Does anyone really believe that they are suddenly going to play like promotion contenders?

Ok this season has pretty died but Joe got rid of another unsettled striking hero and top scorer in Ron Futcher on deadline day 1987 -the following season his replacement was in place; Stitch and then a couple of months later FRankie Bunn was added to the attack. Things happen for a reason and if anyone knows how to spot good young talent it is Joe, Silk purse from a sow's ear was bandied about many a time about Joe's transfer dealings and why do you think Urmson's been brought back?

Prozac, you need to stop compairing what Joe did when he first joined to whats happening in the present day.

I for one am Feckin gutted, Hughesy ran his tits off a lot o the time for this club....ok form has faultered lately, but thats everyone at the club, throwin the towel in? OLDHAM ATHLETIC WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!! my arse

Agree

But you can only pick one of a squad to become the

scapegoat.jpg

w320.png

Someone touched upon it earlier. JS was let go because players let him down. Why has just one player been let go (allowed to leave on loan) when others have caused the team and club problems ?

If Blackpool have paid money for the loan I can sort of understand letting him leave.

Cost of experienced striker FREE with baggage

Wages (reported )£1.8 k a week

Adding to the squad to make better (at least another ) 10k per week

Cost of missing out on promotion over £2.5 million

Letting your leading scorer leave with with a maximum of 10 games left to achieve promotion PRICELESS

It doesnt matter if it is LH or anyother Oldham player letting your leading scorer go while you still have a chance, slim chance maybe but still a chance is barking

I suspect this is financial reality kicking in. TTA invested in another promotion push this season that was all but killed off with the point at Cheltenham. Blackpool came in with the last minute offer, probably paying 100% (or near as) of his wage, he's not looked himself for a while now - all that considered, too good an offer to turn down.

I wish Hughesy well - he's done nowt wrong here for me and would be daft not to take a final chance of Championship football.

Finally a post packed full of sense.... Well said....

Just read of this now, last I saw was when the rumours were appearing this afternoon.

It's disgusting.

The amount of time and money that I've spent on this season, and the club have decided to throw in the towel with the playoffs still a possibility. Yes, it was a long shot. But to loan out your top scorer? I couldn't give a flying f**k about preparing for next season. What about the one we're in now? The one we've played 39 f*****g games of. The one we can still possibly win promotion in? Yeah, sack that off...rather than just go all out for 7 games and go for promotion this year...let's piss about for a month and a half and start all over for another season in the same league next year.

I'm sorry, but Blitz, Corney, Royle...whoever is responsible for this decision, hang your head in shame. We've played for months and months this season and then YOU decide to give it up. Not good enough, not good enough at all.

Thanks Lee, you've been a good servant to the club and if it hadn't been for you, we may have been up s*** creek this season. I hope he does well in The Championship, at least someone from the club's going to get a shot.