Hughes to The Lashers!

Been reading their board. They are not happy with this whatso ever. Even less so than some on here. the word murderer and scumbag appear numerous time. Harsh words and ultimatley might have been a bad move for hughsey unless he can bang in some goals early on to get them on his side. As for latics i think that the promotion push has gone but at least we can try out new things. And who knows maybe LH was holding some players back. Its hard to know what goes on behind the scenes.

Yeah, like Eardley in central midfield or....

...wait a minute, what year is this?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will have been Joe's decision and confirms for me that he will still be here next year and possibly a few after that!!!

This confirms nothing of the sort.

I'm not so arsed about Hughes leaving, but I am arsed about the messages coming from the club which is they have given up the faith for this season. A club who's mantra has always been KTF too.

I know not one player is bigger than the club, but a lot of people are speculating that he's a "bad egg" without any hold card facts (sic). This may or may not be the case, but unless it's a proven fact he's a clear disruption on the team and better out than in (And saying we've been playing crap since Christmas isn't a proven fact by the way) I can't help feeling a little disappointed by the clubs decision here, and the messages emitting. Just keep him until the end, he scores goals and although his engine's run dry a bit lately, he's still got a goal every other game or so. Not only is letting him go now a crushing blow to our promotion hopes, it just sends a message to Tranmere, Scunthorpe et al that hey, the club who always keeps the faith has given up. Pathetic.

So, we end the season with a loanee who's split everyone down the middle about what he brings to the side, two rookie strikers who are far from prolific and ruthless and another striker who absolutely no-one rates and yet isn't ever loaned out. Lovely. And yet again TTA are expected to see it roll round again with the 4th or 5th manager since they came in. What a complete shambles of a season, which just about ends on Saturday for me. I'll attend the home games out of already paying for them with a season ticket, but I'll certainly not be wasting more money trekking up to Cumbria, down to Sussex and finally down to the West Midlands to see the season obviously fizzle out into more smoking embers.

I may as well join in with the defeatism eminating from Boundary Park today. If you can't beat 'em, fecking well join em.

I may as well join in with the defeatism eminating from Boundary Park today. If you can't beat 'em, fecking well join em.

But you've missed out the one main point. There is always next season! That first day back at BP after the summer break can't be beaten.

Mr shankly i agree with your sentiments entirely.

This sends out a very negative message from the clubs owners IMO.

To be fair promotion is looking a long shot right now but to offload the leading scorer at this juncture is utter nonsence.

LTF

Agree FMS.

What's the point?

I've no qualms whatsoever Hughesy not being here next season, but surely the least we can do is get the most out of him whilst he's here? We've still a (very slim) chance of promotion and to get rid of our only hope of goals is throwing the towel in for me.

I'm sorry but these 8 games or so elsewhere AREN'T putting him in the shop window. He'll walk for nowt at the end of the season and there'll be a number of clubs forming a big queue for him. We aint getting a penny. There's no shop window.

When it's mathematically impossible to get in the playoffs then drop him. But we're still in it. Or at least we were.

I'm giving the club credit here so I can only think that:

a) Joe wants rid of an apparent bad apple

or

B) Hughes didn't take too kindly to being withdrawn at Cheltenham and saw the Orient exclusion coming making a quick call to his agent to speed up his move (discussions for an exit have clearly being going on for the last few months).

Trying to look on the bright side here, his wage will free up a couple of decent wages. But that's NEXT season. This season we've a little matter of promotion to challenge for.

Oh well, let's get boozed at Orient. Either that or I'm taking my boots.

E4e

WTFGO

Just keep him until the end, he scores goals and although his engine's run dry a bit lately, he's still got a goal every other game or so.

Precisely - and, as most people would agree, with very poor service. Unless Joe has something unexpected up his sleeve, that same lack of service is hardly going to help our youngsters to score. I shall go to Orient hoping for the best. But I am baffled as to where anybody thinks they are going to pick up another 18-goal striker.

Lee Hughes didn't sign the contract that was on the table from the club in January, as was his right.

We can't afford him next season, because he has been offered more money than we did/can/are prepared to from a.n.other club. He has his choice to make, but he clearly has decided not to re-sign for OAFC. The player is now demotivated and imo this has shown in his recent performances. The fact that he was 1 of the players taken off at Cheltenham on Tuesday night and we almost immediately looked a better team and for the first time in the match a threat says it all.

Thanks for your efforts Lee, but when its not working, then its time for a change.

Best for all parties.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. I still can't get the image of him grabbing Chris Taylor by his neck in the defeat at Scunthorpe out of my mind.

I suspect this is financial reality kicking in. TTA invested in another promotion push this season that was all but killed off with the point at Cheltenham. Blackpool came in with the last minute offer, probably paying 100% (or near as) of his wage, he's not looked himself for a while now - all that considered, too good an offer to turn down.

I wish Hughesy well - he's done nowt wrong here for me and would be daft not to take a final chance of Championship football.

Lee Hughes didn't sign the contract that was on the table from the club in January, as was his right.

We can't afford him next season, because he has been offered more money than we did/can/are prepared to from a.n.other club. He has his choice to make, but he clearly has decided not to re-sign for OAFC. The player is now demotivated and imo this has shown in his recent performances. The fact that he was 1 of the players taken off at Cheltenham on Tuesday night and we almost immediately looked a better team and for the first time in the match a threat says it all.

Thanks for your efforts Lee, but when its not working, then its time for a change.

Best for all parties.

Cheers,

Harry.

P.S. I still can't get the image of him grabbing Chris Taylor by his neck in the defeat at Scunthorpe out of my mind.

amen to that.

not arsed in the slightest.

amen to that.

not arsed in the slightest.

His record this season is a goal every 2 games.

HOWEVER, only 5 in his last 17 games. It is not just about service either, as he has missed some sitters by his standards in those 17 games.

At least Coco will have a wide grin tonight.

Cheers,

Harry

The fact that he was 1 of the players taken off at Cheltenham on Tuesday night and we almost immediately looked a better team and for the first time in the match a threat says it all.

The only fact that says to me is that after being outbattled by a team at the bottom of the league, rock bottom no less, we managed to get at them as they were tiring. Woopy-doo. Big pats on the back lads.

I have absolutely no optimism for the rest of the season other than seeing how lads like Stephens and Lee can show their worth. After all, they're the potential and future in our club.

Sure, Hughes may have run out of gas, and above all interest, but for me it's all about the message we've just this evening sent to Tranmere, Scunts and cun Leeds and that is "carry on lads, we've run out of puff".

Never mind. I'll still be cheering on the boys on Saturday, whoever pulls on the shirt.

Makes me think of the Viz banner during Wimbledon weekend - We're backing Tim - all the way to the quarter finals." :wink:

I don't know what to make of this. It's nuts to let him go when results could swing our way in the course of a couple of games - unless there is something we don't know. If Joe decided he couldn't work with him, then I guess he had to go.

The only fact that says to me is that after being outbattled by a team at the bottom of the league, rock bottom no less, we managed to get at them as they were tiring. Woopy-doo. Big pats on the back lads.

I have absolutely no optimism for the rest of the season other than seeing how lads like Stephens and Lee can show their worth. After all, they're the potential and future in our club.

Sure, Hughes may have run out of gas, and above all interest, but for me it's all about the message we've just this evening sent to Tranmere, Scunts and cun Leeds and that is "carry on lads, we've run out of puff".

Would a three nil win on Saturday rekindle your optimism...Im sure that it would, I'm also sure that there are circumstances not known outside the club as to exactly why Lee Hughes left the club today.

I trust TTA and Joe to do the right thing for both club and fans but I'm afraid promotion was lost to this squad long before Tuesday night's match at Cheltenham!

I also wouldn't think that Tranmere or Scunthorpe are remotely interested on what went on here today!!

Would a three nil win on Saturday rekindle your optimism...Im sure that it would, I'm also sure that there are circumstances not known outside the club as to exactly why Lee Hughes left the club today.

I've already said there could be reasons behind him going. I'm sure something has happened which has prompted this but FFS there's 6 games left. SIX. Whatever slight hope we had of sneaking into the playoffs has gone right the way up the M55. Unless he's been caught humping Corney's trouble and strife over the office desk then just keep hold of him until the end. For another 6 weeks for gods sake.

I've already explained that he's dried up a little goals wise, but he's still bagged in crucial games, like Leeds and Millwall. We don't have anyone else anywhere close to being as prolific, and it ain't going to change by getting rid of the assumed "bad egg". It'll go worse if anything. 3-0? Yeah, I can make up loads of hunky-dory type results which would spark my optimism back into life. But it just ain't gonna happen is it? And so what, if we win down at Orient, we just won't string the 4 or 5 wins together which is needed to catalyst ourselves once again.

I trust TTA and Joe to do the right thing for both club and fans but I'm afraid promotion was lost to this squad long before Tuesday night's match at Cheltenham!

It wasn't quite that long ago. Sure, seeds of discontent were sewn after the lacklustre home performances punctuating the season. But following the Millwall victory we were in a cracking position to cement our place in the top 6. We were 3rd FFS! It was there, and today, less than a month after that and with six whole weeks towards the end of the season it's over. Oh, of course! Time for a piss-up at Orient but that's the swansong.

I also wouldn't think that Tranmere or Scunthorpe are remotely interested on what went on here today!!

Are you really that naive?? The person who's scored the huge lions share of our goals this season has left the club? And they won't notice?

At first i was disappointed with Hughes leaving, but with the vibes coming out of the club i am sure they are/have given up on this season already, its about saving money but will TTA whinge when the crap attendances are down even further for the next few games? Is Joe planning to stay next year and look at all of his first team squad in action before the end of the season as there are no reserve games ? this will then show him who is not up to the task for next season. Was Hughes too much of a big ego to have around?

One things for sure if you upset Joe or your not upto the task ahead then you will be shipped out.

Say we go with Tayls/Lewi/Smalley up top all running round like headless chickens - thats gonna be hilarious. Kabba just isn't match fit. With their crazy enthusiasm and going off this mad month, it wouldn't surprise me if we stuck about 6 past Orient!

Personally I don't care what happens this season now, I really don't. If we win 8/8 and snatch a PO place then apart from laughing myself silly fair play to the lads. If we don't, I'll be frankly fuming with the players efforts, but oh well. I just hope Joe can eye up this squad, sign on for a few more years, and start properly next season.

Hughesy's contracts up this year isn't it? Meaning a free transfer. I'd love to fire shots at Simon and Alan again, but the position we were in come January how could they foresee about 20 effortless and woeful performances, Shez going, and that bloody Belle Vue incident.

Edited by UpTheLatics

In January there was relief on here that we had kept our squad together and actually added to it.Fast forward two months and weve imploded,letting our top scorer go with a handful of games to go doesnt make much sense but I guess we have to trust Joe although it would appear weve pretty much resigned ourselves to another season in league one.

I've already said there could be reasons behind him going. I'm sure something has happened which has prompted this but FFS there's 6 games left. SIX. Whatever slight hope we had of sneaking into the playoffs has gone right the way up the M55. Unless he's been caught humping Corney's trouble and strife over the office desk then just keep hold of him until the end. For another 6 weeks for gods sake.

I've already explained that he's dried up a little goals wise, but he's still bagged in crucial games, like Leeds and Millwall. We don't have anyone else anywhere close to being as prolific, and it ain't going to change by getting rid of the assumed "bad egg". It'll go worse if anything. 3-0? Yeah, I can make up loads of hunky-dory type results which would spark my optimism back into life. But it just ain't gonna happen is it? And so what, if we win down at Orient, we just won't string the 4 or 5 wins together which is needed to catalyst ourselves once again.

It wasn't quite that long ago. Sure, seeds of discontent were sewn after the lacklustre home performances punctuating the season. But following the Millwall victory we were in a cracking position to cement our place in the top 6. We were 3rd FFS! It was there, and today, less than a month after that and with six whole weeks towards the end of the season it's over. Oh, of course! Time for a piss-up at Orient but that's the swansong.

Are you really that naive?? The person who's scored the huge lions share of our goals this season has left the club? And they won't notice?

If you had read my post properly, I didn't say they wouldn't notice I said that they wouldn't be interested and they won't they'll be too busy making sure they prepare properly instead of worrying about us!!!

It didn't make a difference that Hughes played against Tranmere and Cheltenham did it...if he's causing discontent at the club it's best he goes now. 4 wins out of 17 if you think we would be good enough with an unhappy Hughes staying until the end of the season then I don't know what team you have been watching!

Dont get it. Everyone (exept Coco) thinks he's great and as soon as he's gone you all slag him and say good ridance. What a two faced bunch. I personally think its a big mistake and shows the club (or Joe) has written off the season.

Hope he's not gone because Joe couldnt forgive the reason he went to prison.

Ho hum. Keep the....... Ah forget it.

Edited by BlueJazzer