Neutral view

Normally go to the game with my brother but he booked a long weekend away as he wasn't that bothered about missing today. My dad had his season ticket and thought we looked a very poor side (and that's saying something as he's a city fan). He said it's obviously hard to judge on only seeing one performance in a game which meant little to Latics but the only players he thought looked capable of playing at a higher level were Eardley and Taylor.

He also said we must have the smallest side in the country.

Normally go to the game with my brother but he booked a long weekend away as he wasn't that bothered about missing today. My dad had his season ticket and thought we looked a very poor side (and that's saying something as he's a city fan). He said it's obviously hard to judge on only seeing one performance in a game which meant little to Latics but the only players he thought looked capable of playing at a higher level were Eardley and Taylor.

He also said we must have the smallest side in the country.

thanks for that. honesty at last, these are often the people to give an unbiased view of our players. looks like we need some height too. :wink:

Yeah I thought it was good to hear after people writing on here about this squad should have been good enough to challenge this year. Unfortunately our blue tinted glasses sometimes get in the way of actually realising we are a very average team, with very average players.

It still remains that we started off very well and still have very decent results against the top sides. Clearly all is not well but it would be a mistake to believe that we don't have anything going for us either. It's heart and consitency that we lack, not height or ability.

Yeah I thought it was good to hear after people writing on here about this squad should have been good enough to challenge this year. Unfortunately our blue tinted glasses sometimes get in the way of actually realising we are a very average team, with very average players.

What a crock of :censored:...sorry, but where were Hughes, Davies, O'Grady, Danny Jones (could say Lids, but I didn't want him here for this season) today??? Ya know...from "this squad" as you put it...if you want to have a pop at the "blue-tinted lot"...

Let's get it right eh....back in August and September WAS good enough (remember the first month?)...sadly, it was then badly mis-managed, ripped apart, loaned out all over, confidence shot and sent down a one-way route to oblivion. Your dad coming along for a meaningless, end-of-season, half-hearted attempt of a game with half the squad missing from that which was built to have a go this season...you think that opinion is worthy of proving your "blue-tinted" theory...nah...sorry but his opinion solely of today isn't worth much consideration at all as to how "this squad" should've done this season. Thanks tho eh!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think this guy's Dad is spot on - there really isn't much creativity in our side at all. Except Taylor; and it's been the same since Wellens left us.

I'd also agree that the only two players in our team which could realistically step up are Eards and Taylor, I could see them easily progressing to Championship level. Hopefully with us! :grin:

edit - I think with Lee in the side we could have a bit of creative balance on the wings, or even in the middle of the park.. but I couldn't make the game today so I'll have to wait and see!

Edited by seasidelatic

What a crock of :censored:...sorry, but where were Hughes, Davies, O'Grady, Danny Jones (could say Lids, but I didn't want him here for this season) today??? Ya know...from "this squad" as you put it...if you want to have a pop at the "blue-tinted lot"...

Let's get it right eh....back in August and September WAS good enough (remember the first month?)...sadly, it was then badly mis-managed, ripped apart, loaned out all over, confidence shot and sent down a one-way route to oblivion. Your dad coming along for a meaningless, end-of-season, half-hearted attempt of a game with half the squad missing from that which was built to have a go this season isn't "blue-tinted"...and isn't worth much consideration as to how "this squad" could've done this season. Thanks tho eh!

Agree with your point. Had my dad seen O'Grady play today we'd probably had won 4-1 with him bagging a hat trick!!! Oh wait, he's only scored one goal all season.

I also said he knew it was a meaningless game so it was hard to judge. Just thought it would be interesting to give another persons opinion.

Let's get it right eh....back in August and September WAS good enough (remember the first month?)...sadly, it was then badly mis-managed, ripped apart, loaned out all over, confidence shot and sent down a one-way route to oblivion. Your dad coming along for a meaningless, end-of-season, half-hearted attempt of a game with half the squad missing from that which was built to have a go this season...you think that opinion is worthy of proving your "blue-tinted" theory...nah...sorry but his opinion solely of today isn't worth much consideration at all as to how "this squad" should've done this season. Thanks tho eh!

Great response.

The neutral view of todays side was indeed bob on. So if this was the game the neutral saw and commented on, why the need to lambast it stating this wasn't our opening side?. To be perfectly honest we are to small and have been a good number of seasons now. I felt today was not one of Taylors best and Eardley did have a good un. In fact I'd go so far as to say Eardley as been much improved since his tormentor left the touchline!

Edited by Lags

To be honest Ross, I started reading that but lost interest after "O'Grady".

To be honest Ross, I started reading that but lost interest after "O'Grady".

Lol...can't help your attention span being so short Dave! :wink:

Seriously though...nobody can really judge OG properly...looked the hold up player we've sorely missed at times and he came off the bench to help us gain 2pts each at Tranmere and Leeds before being sent packing. Could've been a vital player if used properly...we'll never know what he could've done for us. No doubt the reply will be "what's he done since"...I'd say that if you want to judge him while playing in Stockports decline after selling their main players then fair enough...I'd say that'd be harsh.

Lol...can't help your attention span being so short Dave! :wink:

Seriously though...nobody can really judge OG properly...looked the hold up player we've sorely missed at times and he came off the bench to help us gain 2pts each at Tranmere and Leeds before being sent packing. Could've been a vital player if used properly...we'll never know what he could've done for us. No doubt the reply will be "what's he done since"...I'd say that if you want to judge him while playing in Stockports decline after selling their main players then fair enough...I'd say that'd be harsh.

I'm not just judging him on playing for Stockport during their bad patch, but also on going to Bradford and Bury and contributing the sum total of 0 goals in half decent teams in the division below.

Eardley gave the ball away ten times today. I counted. That's how interesting it was.

Normally I would be right on your side with this one but the difference was that on Saturday that Eardley was pretty much our main threat going forward. You can forgive the stray passes and poor positioning (although he wasn't guilty of that on Saturday that I can remember) if he is making a real contribution to the team overall. I thought he was as good as anyone on Saturday and I might start to beleive the hype myself if he continues on like that.