Scholes...... Again !

There are good reasons why you seldom see top flight footballers seeing out their last season or two lower down the leagues these days. One is money, they don't need to get clogged every week at 35 to top up their pension any more. Another is fitness, with the latest nutrition and training regimes a player is often able to see out his career at his highest level, i.e. dictated by ability.

I will be very surprised if Scholes plays professionally for any club other than United, and when he hangs up his boots I strongly suspect he'll join Solksjaer as a coach in the youth set up.

Edited by garcon

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never going to happen.

Despite his footballing brain, quality and range of passing, the quality of players around him in our team will make Scholes' inclusion not as effective as everyone would expect or hope for.

He'd also be a target for every opposing player at this level so that they can make a name for themselves in the press where he'll be hacked to pieces or marked out of the game.

Scholes is reknown for retaliation, a short fuse and poor tackling so his yellow and red card count will be greater than Hughes and Hazell combined.

Only way it'll happen is if we're in the Championship, sign three or four quality players around him and increase the likelihood of him having one final swan song before he retires.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ay-cricket.html

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

"I actually left Oldham's School of Excellence to sign for United when I was 14. I didn't enjoy it at Oldham, so when Brian Kidd came to watch me and asked if I'd go down to United, there was only one answer really''.

It's nonsense about not being able to buy tickets for Old Trafford back in the period he's talking about. They had high crowds for the time but OT was by no means full every week. In fact, you could, as at most top-flight grounds, still pay on the gate then.

Anyway, isn't Scholes some kind of patron of the Trust? Begs the question of why he's changing his story all of a sudden. Could be something as simple as he's taking advice with a view to some role at ManUre when he finishes playing and thus needs to pose as unambiguously a ManUre fanatic, or even that he no longer wants be be associated with Latics' ongoing decline.

People are strange.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ay-cricket.html

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

"I actually left Oldham's School of Excellence to sign for United when I was 14. I didn't enjoy it at Oldham, so when Brian Kidd came to watch me and asked if I'd go down to United, there was only one answer really''.

Bizzare, I've seen him walking around with his kid wearing a Latics shirt with Scholes on the back.

Bizzare, I've seen him walking around with his kid wearing a Latics shirt with Scholes on the back.

Bizarre indeed...I'm not sure I 100% trust the article or comments - or maybe I just don't want to believe them !

That is an exceedingly naive view of the way the world works.

Back in 2004 he was on £75,000 a week (£3.9M a year). Ronaldo is on £6.5 now, so I guess Scholes is somewhere in between.

So the bottom line is he could buy OAFC for less than one years wage at MU. Which probably means 2 things. (1) he will never play for Oldham if wages were an issue (2) he will stay at MU as long as he can, even as a squad player or impact sub. At 35 he has a fair few years left to provide for himself and his family, and another season on £4M will never be sniffed at !

Back in 2004 he was on £75,000 a week (£3.9M a year). Ronaldo is on £6.5 now, so I guess Scholes is somewhere in between.

So the bottom line is he could buy OAFC for less than one years wage at MU. Which probably means 2 things. (1) he will never play for Oldham if wages were an issue (2) he will stay at MU as long as he can, even as a squad player or impact sub. At 35 he has a fair few years left to provide for himself and his family, and another season on £4M will never be sniffed at !

You missed option 3 prozac.

He signs a contract enxtension, gets a pay off and invests all the money in the Stadium and real quality on the pitch and only wants the Trusts shares for his investment....

We can but dream!

You missed option 3 prozac.

He signs a contract enxtension, gets a pay off and invests all the money in the Stadium and real quality on the pitch and only wants the Trusts shares for his investment....

We can but dream!

I can see 5 years from now: Scholes Athletic playing out of the PS Stadium in a ginger kit and Taylor is captain, manager and chairman... sounds like Wigan! :lol:

Has any player ever declared money to not be an issue, even when playing for a club they are reputed to love?

Top flight stars who finish their careers at a lower level usually still demand relatively big money.

Maybe I was on drugs when I thought I saw Nick Barmby playing third division football at BP for £4k a week?

Maybe I was on drugs when I thought I saw Nick Barmby playing third division football at BP for £4k a week?

Or Darren Anderton playing on a pay-as-you-play deal at Bournemouth.

Edited by jsslatic

Windass was willing to play for his beloved Hull City's Reserves for nothing (as long as Latics were paying him £3k a week) but if you're doing something for nothing it's very likely that the day will come when you can't be arsed to turn up.

Has any player ever declared money to not be an issue, even when playing for a club they are reputed to love?

Top flight stars who finish their careers at a lower level usually still demand relatively big money.

Or Darren Anderton playing on a pay-as-you-play deal at Bournemouth.

None of them were Paul Scholes.

Think you've lost that one.

Yeah facts, they're a bugger aren't they?

No facts here. All this is is another version of the argument that just because Blackpool (or whoever) came out of nowhere to clinch a play-off spot one season, a slipping Latics side will do the same. Or just because Ferguson took however many seasons to get it right, it automatically follows that all managers everywhere, no matter how inept, need the same amount of time. We are not Blackpool circa 2006-7, all managers are not Ferguson, and the players mentioned above are not Paul Scholes.

Just like the Micah money will probably never arrive, Paul Scholes is not going to save this club. Especially now that he appears to be distancing himself from us.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Well I could have told you that.

You asked for any player. You were provided with several. You argued that they don't count. Just pointing it out that's all.

So unsubstantiated claims regarding what certain players were on while finishing their careers at minor clubs (with an only tenuously related claim regarding Beardsley at Newcastle) now constitute facts, do they?

Even were it all true about their wages, it in no way follows that Scholes, who is now on vastly more money than any of the above-mentioned players, would follow suit. An equivelant pay cut to what, say, Barmby took would still mean a wage that would be substantially more than any other Latics player is on, thus breaking any wage structure in place, and more than the club could currently afford. And as said, how likely is he to take an enormous pay cut anyway when he already seems to be distancing himself from us? The man is first and foremost a modern professional footballer, most of who have a small army of advisors and hangers-on counselling against letting the heart rule the head.

Some of you still appear to believe in Father Christmas.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

So unsubstantiated claims regarding what certain players were on while finishing their careers at minor clubs (with an only tenuously related claim regarding Beardsley at Newcastle) now constitute facts, do they?

Even were it all true about their wages, it in no way follows that Scholes, who is now on vastly more money than any of the above-mentioned players, would follow suit. An equivelant pay cut to what, say, Barmby took would still mean a wage that would be substantially more than any other Latics player is on, thus breaking any wage structure in place, and more than the club could currently afford. And as said, how likely is he to take an enormous pay cut anyway when he already seems to be distancing himself from us? The man is first and foremost a modern professional footballer, most of who have a small army of advisors and hangers-on counselling against letting the heart rule the head.

Some of you still appear to believe in Father Christmas.

It's a fact that some players have taken pay cuts to play for clubs they would normally be deemed "too good for" or "too expensive for" (examples quoted being Barmby, Anderton and Beardsley) because they have some attraction to that club.

It's unlikely that anyone here could provide concrete facts as to the financial arrangements in place, that I will agree with you on.

So you "asked for" (excuse the terminology, you clearly didn't do anything so specific) any player who had taken a pay cut to play at a lower level and were provided three examples. You then changed you "request" so that your initial point remained correct.

I have no problem with disagreeing with you and at times you make excellent points, I am however continually frustrated by your apparent desire for infallibility. The way in which you can be presented with data which shows you to be in the slightest bit incorrect and you move the target so as to devalue or invalidate the data that contradicts you. It's tiresome.

It's a fact that some players have taken pay cuts to play for clubs they would normally be deemed "too good for" or "too expensive for" (examples quoted being Barmby, Anderton and Beardsley) because they have some attraction to that club.

It's unlikely that anyone here could provide concrete facts as to the financial arrangements in place, that I will agree with you on.

So you "asked for" (excuse the terminology, you clearly didn't do anything so specific) any player who had taken a pay cut to play at a lower level and were provided three examples. You then changed you "request" so that your initial point remained correct.

I have no problem with disagreeing with you and at times you make excellent points, I am however continually frustrated by your apparent desire for infallibility. The way in which you can be presented with data which shows you to be in the slightest bit incorrect and you move the target so as to devalue or invalidate the data that contradicts you. It's tiresome.

So without the available facts to quote, the above claims nonetheless remain facts?

No data has been presented, Ackey, just unsubstantiated claims. That doesn't mean that I'm not infallible, however. Don't beat yourself up about it-not everybody can be.

It's nonsense about not being able to buy tickets for Old Trafford back in the period he's talking about. They had high crowds for the time but OT was by no means full every week. In fact, you could, as at most top-flight grounds, still pay on the gate then.

Anyway, isn't Scholes some kind of patron of the Trust? Begs the question of why he's changing his story all of a sudden. Could be something as simple as he's taking advice with a view to some role at ManUre when he finishes playing and thus needs to pose as unambiguously a ManUre fanatic, or even that he no longer wants be be associated with Latics' ongoing decline.

People are strange.

And why exactly would Scholes have replied to the foriegn journalists that Frankie Bunn was his favourite player.