Scholes...... Again !

So without the available facts to quote, the above claims nonetheless remain facts?

No data has been presented, Ackey, just unsubstantiated claims. That doesn't mean that I'm not infallible, however. Don't beat yourself up about it-not everybody can be.

There is anecdotal evidence to support my claim (which I accept is not enough) and there is no evidence to support yours... so who's more infallibile? You or I?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why exactly would Scholes have replied to the foriegn journalists that Frankie Bunn was his favourite player.

I have no idea. I saw him in the Chaddy with his son, too, and was under the same impression as everybody else that he was Latics through and through. The claims he makes in the above-quoted interview are as much of a mystery to me as anybody.

That aside, what I say about his being primarily a professional footballer who will put his own interests before sentiment remains true. He could even be letting us all know this by rewriting his personal history, as in the interview.

There is anecdotal evidence to support my claim (which I accept is not enough) and there is no evidence to support yours... so who's more infallibile? You or I?

I.

Of course, the difference between my argument and yours is that I in no way present mine as anything more than opinion (which will nonetheless be proved correct.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I have no idea. I saw him in the Chaddy with his son, too, and was under the same impression as everybody else that he was Latics through and through. The claims he makes in the above-quoted interview are as much of a mystery to me as anybody.

That aside, what I say about his being primarily a professional footballer who will put his own interests before sentiment remains true. He could even be letting us all know this by rewriting his personal history, as in the interview.

Rhetorical question by the way, concurring with your point :)

Anyway, I seem to recall that it was Andy Ritchie who he said was his favourite player, not Frankie Bunn. I even have a vague memory of AR commenting on how he was flattered by Scholes's compliments.

Mike Coffey the United Scout states it was Frankie Bunn.

United legend whose heart belongs at Boundary Park

Although Paul Scholes was born in Salford, not far from Old Trafford, he was brought up on the Langley estate in Middleton and grew up watching football on the terraces at Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park ground three or four miles away. So it was a natural progression for him to join the Latics as a junior, and he played for them alongside his future Manchester United midfield colleague Nicky Butt, as well as the Neville brothers, Gary and Phil.

In fact, he had to be persuaded to go to Old Trafford. Mike Coffey, the then United scout who taught him at Cardinal Langley High School, gave him a talking-to.

"I had to get him into my office to cajole him into going," Coffey said. "He was very reluctant and took a couple of days to be convinced. I told him there would be better facilities and better coaches. The rest is history."

But for all the medals and glory he has accrued at Old Trafford, old associations die hard. He goes to Oldham matches whenever he can, and when he has ever been asked the identity of his favourite all-time player, he has named a Latic.

Coffey says, "His hero was Frankie Bunn, the Oldham striker" – whose claim to fame was scoring six goals in the 7-0 League Cup win over Scarborough in 1989.

Tackled at the 2002 World Cup by foreign journalists, however, Scholes named another Latic striking legend, Andy Ritchie, who scored 82 goals for the club between 1987 and 1995, as well as later managing the side.

More recently another, perhaps less likely, name entered the frame. In 2006 Scholes was asked by a magazine to name his all-time favourite XI, and at the heart of his defence was Stuart Balmer, the Scot who played for Oldham for two seasons at the start of the decade and is now first-team coach at St Mirren.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

More recently another, perhaps less likely, name entered the frame. In 2006 Scholes was asked by a magazine to name his all-time favourite XI, and at the heart of his defence was Stuart Balmer, the Scot who played for Oldham for two seasons at the start of the decade and is now first-team coach at St Mirren.

Right. That's convinced me. He's clearly taking the proverbial.

Facts Corp facts Frankie Bunn 100% ....

And yet we have:

'Scholes is a die-hard Oldham Athletic fan and cheekily cited Latics legend Andy Ritchie when asked who his all-time footballing hero was by foreign journalists at the World Cup in 2002. He has often hinted that he would like to play for the club before he ends his career.'

http://www.4thegame.com/club/manchester-un...aulscholes.html

And yet we have:

'Scholes is a die-hard Oldham Athletic fan and cheekily cited Latics legend Andy Ritchie when asked who his all-time footballing hero was by foreign journalists at the World Cup in 2002. He has often hinted that he would like to play for the club before he ends his career.'

http://www.4thegame.com/club/manchester-un...aulscholes.html

442 magazine article several years ago ............. Scholes stated it was frankie Bunn and they made a big deal out of it, I'd tend to believe a nationally published magazine, the Independent etc than some tin bit website profile ....

christ, one of the owtb.co.uk mod team could write a profile on him and state it's Andy Gorton, then some fool would come along and believe it.

442 magazine article several years ago ............. Scholes stated it was frankie Bunn and they made a big deal out of it, I'd tend to believe a nationally published magazine, the Independent etc than some tin bit website profile ....

christ, one of the owtb.co.uk mod team could write a profile on him and state it's Andy Gorton, then some fool would come along and believe it.

No No No No NO fact it was Andy rhodes .....

see the link

http:/www.howfarwilligotoprovemyselfgossamnright.co.uk/bull:censored:/footbal/mygodinheavenwonttheseasonstart

:grin:

That’s 442, the BBC and the independent newspaper all stating Frankie Bunn whereas that media giant “4 the game” state Ritchie hmmmmmmm.

That’s 442, the BBC and the independent newspaper all stating Frankie Bunn whereas that media giant “4 the game” state Ritchie hmmmmmmm.

I know for a fact that 4the game put Andy Ritchie as it was the only Oldham player they thought their readers would have heard of...

No No No No NO fact it was Andy rhodes .....

see the link

http:/www.howfarwilligotoprovemyselfgossamnright.co.uk/bull:censored:/footbal/mygodinheavenwonttheseasonstart

:grin:

Yes-posting up one link like others have done is going to incredible lengths to prove myself right.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The Independent article that you linked to also points out that he claimed it was Ritchie during the 2002 World Cup. As I said, I can remember Ritchie commenting on it in the press.

If you have a Google you can find articles detailing where he claimed one or both.

As said to Jimsleftfoot, look again at the Independent article.

Anyway, it's all largely academic now that he appears to be rewriting his personal history.

Anyway, it's all largely academic now that he appears to be rewriting his personal history.

Maybe he's read this board and he's trying to manage (lower) our expectations.

Someone made a good point about him being clogged by 3rd Division thug defenders week in week out. I'm sure he'd rather be hitting sixes instead (or involved in some way coaching the next generation at ManUre).

Yes-posting up one link like others have done is going to incredible lengths to prove myself right.

Corp this wasnt a dig at you or anyone else. Just a mere observation on most of the close season threads that bore the living daylights out of me, however it is more interesting than wading through the pile of correspondence sat on my desk and therefore in the words of Mr Ben Elton I will read it to prevent me from doing the stuff Im supposed to do.

It was funny though ... Links to the internet seldom lead to fact even on wiki.... Just look up Man City :grin:

Fair enough. I actually missed the point about Andy Ritchie in that article just below the Frankie Bunn one.

Scholes for Stoke?

"Booked in for a series of coaching courses this summer, Scholes, who went on as a late substitute in Wednesday's Champions' League final defeat by Barcelona, made it clear he had reached a crossroads in his United career by saying: 'Not playing every week is an adjustment you don't like making. You train all week, and you want to play games. "

Edited by opinions4u

I once had a lot of hope that we would see a player like Scholes in a Latics shirt, look what a "different class" Shez was when he arrived...... Scholes would be even better than that!!! But as time has gone by I'm losing the faith a bit that he will come.

It would be the boost to season ticket sales we would like though if we ever did get him that's for sure!!!!!!!