Scholes...... Again !

Whatever they are, he's obviously got his reasons for publically changing his allegiance.

hmm - why has he obviously got his reasons? Has he got obvious reasons or do you have some inside info ? More likely he has undisclosed reasons for changing his mind. If he has changed his mind that is......

Anyway - I am intrigued by your spelling of "publically". Is that the spelling they taught in the pre-war period?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm - why has he obviously got his reasons? Has he got obvious reasons or do you have some inside info ? More likely he has undisclosed reasons for changing his mind. If he has changed his mind that is......

Anyway - I am intrigued by your spelling of "publically". Is that the spelling they taught in the pre-war period?

Publicly then. It was solidarity with our esteemed little God that led me to spell it the other way.

Isn't it obvious that, if the Telgraph can be believed and he has changed his allegiance, then he will have his reasons for doing so? What those reasons are is anybody's guess.

And for the last time can I point out that I'm not accusing Scholes of changing his allegiance. He did so-again, according to the Telegraph?

Or even more likely, whilst when it was initially said maybe he'd like to turn out for the side at the end of his career he followed as a boy was fanciful thinking. It was a long way off. Now with his career nearing it's end the thought of one more year in his current grand surroundings appeal for more than to trudge round BP. Those heady days when he could afford to think fancifully are now gone.

Don't see why he has to deny supporting Latics to stay at Old Toilet for another year.

Have we considered whether the Telegraph got it wrong? It has been known for newspapers to do so. Even quotes.

The possibility has already been mentioned. However, the only way to get a quote like this one wrong is to either heavily distort it or make it up entirely. Wouldn't be the first time, although it usually happens when something significant is at stake. What does the Telegraph care if Scholes supports Latics or not?

The possibility has already been mentioned. However, the only way to get a quote like this one wrong is to either heavily distort it or make it up entirely. Wouldn't be the first time, although it usually happens when something significant is at stake. What does the Telegraph care if Scholes supports Latics or not?

HAve to say if it was a red top, it would seem like a made up story. However, I am fairly confident the Telegraph would have checked, thy really have not got anything to gain by getting the quote so wrong,as you say.

Edited by singe

Have we considered whether the Telegraph got it wrong? It has been known for newspapers to do so. Even quotes.

different story in the Telegraph 22 Apr 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...me-barrier.html

Scholes is not going quietly, despite a reduced involvement of just 16 League appearances this season. And regardless of the regularly spun urban myth that he will see out his career with boyhood favourites Oldham Athletic, Ferguson insists that United will always be Scholes's only club

and sorry to those of you who may be offended clicking on this link, but here goes

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=...p;section=Quote,

his hobbys (listed last year ) in his offical profile ...... cricket and supporting Oldham athletic

different story in the Telegraph 22 Apr 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...me-barrier.html

Scholes is not going quietly, despite a reduced involvement of just 16 League appearances this season. And regardless of the regularly spun urban myth that he will see out his career with boyhood favourites Oldham Athletic, Ferguson insists that United will always be Scholes's only club

and sorry to those of you who may be offended clicking on this link, but here goes

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=...p;section=Quote,

his hobbys (listed last year ) in his offical profile ...... cricket and supporting Oldham athletic

Still does nothing to explain why he said what he did in the particular interview under discussion about his first allegiance being to ManUre.

Still does nothing to explain why he said what he did in the particular interview under discussion about his first allegiance being to ManUre.

It also does nothing to explain why you keep harping on about it, as if even if the worst were the worst and Mr S would rather throw his kids on a fire than see them wear anything other than Red, then that clearly shows the decline blah blah blah. People have been suckered into having the same argument with you in a field where it's just got nothing to do with it. Will we overtake Blackpool if Scholes actually was a Latics fan as a kid and supports us now?

Some of you still appear to believe in Father Christmas.

It was very disturbing to sit on his knee in Marks's and talk about the first thing that came up. Although what he was doing in his santa outfit asking a 48 year old homophobic male to sit on his knee in July is beyond me.....

But nobody but YOU as seen this so called interview and dispite requests you've posted no evidence of its exsistance in the torygraph.

But nobody but YOU as seen this so called interview and dispite requests you've posted no evidence of its exsistance in the torygraph.

I've seen it, and via OWTB I'll bet.

I've also seen Scholes with his lad wearing a full Latics kit with his name on the back.

Thats the first time I've seen that article, interesting that he says that about Latics but is regularly seen at BP with his kids when Man Ure are not playing.

Well I was a Man united fan for the first 15 years of my life..... but I'm now an Oldham fan, so people can all be turned away from the darksidestar-wars-smiley-5477.gif

It also does nothing to explain why you keep harping on about it, as if even if the worst were the worst and Mr S would rather throw his kids on a fire than see them wear anything other than Red, then that clearly shows the decline blah blah blah. People have been suckered into having the same argument with you in a field where it's just got nothing to do with it. Will we overtake Blackpool if Scholes actually was a Latics fan as a kid and supports us now?

It isn't only me going on about it, and I haven't related the issue to the subject of the club's decline. How often, for instance, does the subject of Scholes's supposed desire to play for Latics arise on here, and am I ever the source? Answer: lots of times and no I'm not.

The link to the Telegraph article is further back in this in this thread. Do try to keep up.

Well I was a Man united fan for the first 15 years of my life.....

Ah, explains a lot.

Well I was a Man united fan for the first 15 years of my life..... but I'm now an Oldham fan, so people can all be turned away from the darksidestar-wars-smiley-5477.gif

Anyway, in the interview under discussion he doesn't say he was turned away from ManUre, but that they were always his favourite club despite everybody thinking it was Latics.

He must have his reasons for changing the script, I suppose.

Thats the first time I've seen that article, interesting that he says that about Latics but is regularly seen at BP with his kids when Man Ure are not playing.

So have I, several times. People keep saying this, though. We've all seen him at BP; that's what makes his recent comments so puzzling.

Could all this be explained away by the fact one of his kids supports Latics?

I doubt it, as Markoasisi says he has been on many a coach with him.

Maybe we can get a roll call of the game/years he as defaintely seen at?

Or was someone he played/iswith is mates with playing on those days? Not many left now, she he shoudl not be seen much?!"

Edited by singe

Been trying to dig out my old copy of 442. He's interviewed regarding following Latics around the country during the late 80's / early 90's whilst his fellow team mates were watching Utd 1st team at OT... this is around the time I remember him

Been trying to dig out my old copy of 442. He's interviewed regarding following Latics around the country during the late 80's / early 90's whilst his fellow team mates were watching Utd 1st team at OT... this is around the time I remember him

Nobody's disputing that he once followed Latics but puzzling over his denial of us being his number one club in the recent Telegraph interview.

I'm guessing, obviously, but given the article is a pre-cursor to ManUre's excellent defeat in the CL final, the journo is trying to paint a picture of nailed-on loyalty to the scum from one of their longest-serving players. Reading the article again, the mention of Latics is really oddly placed and it kinda looks like it's been shoe-horned in. My guess is that the journo wrote it without that reference and the editor made him put something in about Latics, presumably because he'd read the 442 article/internet, etc. and knew about his Latics-supporting past. People make up quotes all the time - it's pretty much standard practice in journalism as people rarely say anything quite as coherent in real life as they do in interviews. Sometimes, these quotes are cleared with the source, but not always. I can't see Scholes being too upset either way at the comemnt attributed to him, tbh. Let's face it - it's way more interesting to us than it is to him.

Nobody's disputing that he once followed Latics but puzzling over his denial of us being his number one club in the recent Telegraph interview.

I think we are disputing it.

I quote.

Sparky and Bryan were my heroes, more so Robbo, and I still feel that when I see him around the club now. I loved him playing for United and England.

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

Edited by singe