Scholes...... Again !

in the Sunday Mail is an article on scholes "some days the legs wont do what the mind tells them to"

scholes has a further year left on his contract but admits he does not know where he goes from there. it coulsd be retirement or a fareweell stint at oldham athletic the club he supported as a kid.

'i will have to see how i am next year, if i can go again i will if not, then i wont' he admits candidly

he will not rule out ending his career at oldham but is embarking on his coaching courses to worlk out if managment appeals.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else read the article in the Mail On Sunday. I would say that is probably the first time that Scholes himself has said he could finish his career at his beloved club. He has realised he isn't going to feature much at the Stretford Nike Ballpark and I could see him having one last go at it with us, if his legs hold out of course.

Before you all shoot me down for living in cloud cuckoo land - one of the things about being a latics fan is the ability to dream - and you never lose that that belief that at some time in the future something good will happen.

KTF

A slight dissenting comment: Scholes in his prime was undoubtedly a quality player. Scholes at the time he decides to retire may not be. Just because he was good, and is a Latics fan, doesn't mean he's going to be a great player at - say - age 38. We need the best players for this club, not thirtysomethings with failing legs who are beyond our means.

Of course, if he does still have a final season in him I'd welcome him with open arms. I just worry that in an era of inflated expectations (cf. the numerous posts decrying our going for "league 2 players") he'd not be the messiah, just a very loyal boy (with apologies to Monty Python).

A slight dissenting comment: Scholes in his prime was undoubtedly a quality player. Scholes at the time he decides to retire may not be. Just because he was good, and is a Latics fan, doesn't mean he's going to be a great player at - say - age 38. We need the best players for this club, not thirtysomethings with failing legs who are beyond our means.

Of course, if he does still have a final season in him I'd welcome him with open arms. I just worry that in an era of inflated expectations (cf. the numerous posts decrying our going for "league 2 players") he'd not be the messiah, just a very loyal boy (with apologies to Monty Python).

i agree with all of that, he would not play every game by any stertch at 38 but if he can get his foot on the ball and pick passes he could be a great help just like shez was. we have had a few since shez who seem to be afraid of the ball

its all hearsay anyway, by the time his contracts up we will be a championship club, no room for passengers :wink:

Anybody else read the article in the Mail On Sunday. I would say that is probably the first time that Scholes himself has said he could finish his career at his beloved club.

Wrong, yet again he doesn't actually say that, the writer implies that it's something he may do.

I wish the bits within quotation marks made reference to Oldham.

Always suspicious of journalism that makes reference to something but doesn't carry the appropriate quote to back it up.

EDIT: Mark appears to have spotted that before me!

Edited by opinions4u

Yes, why? Was there something odd in voicing a note of caution?

He is years younger than Dean Windass. Or for that matter Eyres and Shez when they were still the best midfielders we had. Eyres at his peak was a good Championship player, Shez was a decent top flight player who was a squad and sometimes first choice for Ireland. Scholes is the best English midfielder of his generation. There is caution, and there is caution. Especially as I think we know he wouldn't be here to pick up a pay cheque. If he was able to run 5 yards to receive a ball or threaten to kick someone he would still be the best player we have ever had.

Wrong, yet again he doesn't actually say that, the writer implies that it's something he may do.

In fairness, the writer says 'He will not rule out ending his career at Oldham', indicating Scholes was asked if ending his career at Oldham was a possibility, and he didn't say no.

He is years younger than Dean Windass. Or for that matter Eyres and Shez when they were still the best midfielders we had. Eyres at his peak was a good Championship player, Shez was a decent top flight player who was a squad and sometimes first choice for Ireland. Scholes is the best English midfielder of his generation. There is caution, and there is caution. Especially as I think we know he wouldn't be here to pick up a pay cheque. If he was able to run 5 yards to receive a ball or threaten to kick someone he would still be the best player we have ever had.

As I said, if he's still got it, I'd welcome him with open arms, and in that case I agree that he'd definitely improve the squad.

The only reason for my caution is the speculation each summer that maybe, maybe this time he'll join us. By the time he actually does - if he does - he may be a long way from being in his prime. While it's not an entirely fair comparison, look how well Gascoigne did as he drew time on his career. I think Scholes would run the risk of being immensely overhyped and never live up to expectations as a result.

I would certainly love to see Paul strutting his stuff at BP - but only if he's actually going to improve our team.

Edited by Crusoe

While it's not an entirely fair comparison, look how well Gascoigne did as he drew time on his career.

I appreciate the point you're making but this comment does nothing to back it up.

On the one hand there's Scholes, a consumate professional who's won:

9 Premier League titles;

3 FA Cups;

2 League Cups; and

2 (perhaps 3 by Wednesday) Champions Leagues.

Then you've got Gazza, a crocked pisshead who won one FA Cup and a few Scottish trophies.

in the Sunday Mail is an article on scholes "some days the legs wont do what the mind tells them to"

scholes has a further year left on his contract but admits he does not know where he goes from there. it coulsd be retirement or a fareweell stint at oldham athletic the club he supported as a kid.

'i will have to see how i am next year, if i can go again i will if not, then i wont' he admits candidly

he will not rule out ending his career at oldham but is embarking on his coaching courses to worlk out if managment appeals.

i think he is 35 in november. :unsure:

Shez finished his playing career at the age of 40 and his knees were bolloxed but I don't think anyone could say he wasn't worth his place, so a sprightly Scholes at the age of 36 (assuming he would be available at the end of this contract) would still be a major asset and the playmaker we desperately need.

I'm sure he'd give 100%. Don't doubt that for a second.

Jeez, I just point out that he might not be the messiah to take us to the promised land and the entire Scholes family starts posting ;)

(Just for the sake of clarity: I would love to see him join us. I would hate it if he the fans got on his back for not being the same player he has been for the rest of his career.)

Regardless of how 'old' or how much energy he could/couldn't bring to the team, to have the opportunity to have one of Englands finest ever footballers playing on the hallowed bp turf week in, week out, would surely be a major coup for the club.

Exactly.. its the fabled "2000 people on the gates" question.... albeit quite a few of the old shool moaners might have to put up with a few part-time red-sox sat around them....

Personally, seeing Scholesy was supposed to have retired 3/4 years ago on medical advice, I can't see much will change in his game in 18 months. He has taken is massively easy for the past two seasons. He could happily stroll round the park 'doing a shez' for a season - doubt we will go anywhere next season so he can take the p*ss out of some League 1 midfielders for a season....

Exactly.. its the fabled "2000 people on the gates" question.... albeit quite a few of the old shool moaners might have to put up with a few part-time red-sox sat around them....

Personally, seeing Scholesy was supposed to have retired 3/4 years ago on medical advice, I can't see much will change in his game in 18 months. He has taken is massively easy for the past two seasons. He could happily stroll round the park 'doing a shez' for a season - doubt we will go anywhere next season so he can take the p*ss out of some League 1 midfielders for a season....

He stated in the interview regarding his game and how he's changed the way he plays and as you say BF, 'doing a shez' wouldn't be a problem for a player of Scholes' ability.

The big one would really be if we could get him here and hey, if there are a few part time red sox watching him, then so be it.

After players of the calibre of Richard Butcher, Paul Rickers, Mark Allott, Paul Reid etc playing in our midfield over the last few years, how can anyone not want to see him here.