Scholes...... Again !

Presumably Scholes would not be playing for nothing.

How would he fit into our on-the-cheap promotion charge (cough)? The probable increased gates wouldn't pay for him and wouldn't last longer than it takes for the novelty to wear off.

Money surely wouldn't be an issue with Scholes. If it is, we can't afford a game, never mind a season.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money surely wouldn't be an issue with Scholes. If it is, we can't afford a game, never mind a season.

Has any player ever declared money to not be an issue, even when playing for a club they are reputed to love?

Top flight stars who finish their careers at a lower level usually still demand relatively big money.

Has any player ever declared money to not be an issue, even when playing for a club they are reputed to love?

Top flight stars who finish their careers at a lower level usually still demand relatively big money.

If he does, we can't afford him and that will be the end of it.

If he doesn't, then maybe it would be something else.

I can't see him ever at our club myself, but you never know.

After players of the calibre of Richard Butcher, Paul Rickers, Mark Allott, Paul Reid etc playing in our midfield over the last few years, how can anyone not want to see him here.

Well, if you put it like that....

The only problem I could see would be keeping him fit, he would have such a big target on him, defenders would just kick him all day. He would be like Shez or Eyresy, but better. Those two oozed class, so their age wasnt a problem. Scholes would be similar.

Well, if you put it like that....

The only problem I could see would be keeping him fit, he would have such a big target on him, defenders would just kick him all day. He would be like Shez or Eyresy, but better. Those two oozed class, so their age wasnt a problem. Scholes would be similar.

Yes, but the money, the money...

You've already had the answer from OldhamSheridan. If it's too much we couldn't afford him so the issue doesn't arise.

Yes-but we're on a thread where people are talking as if there's a good chance that he will one day wear a Latics shirt.

(He might, but he'll be sitting in the RRE.)

If he does, we can't afford him and that will be the end of it.

If he doesn't, then maybe it would be something else.

I can't see him ever at our club myself, but you never know.

I arranged a loan for a retiring profesional footballer from the 3rd flight in 2001.

He was earning £80k a year and was offered a 1 year contract to renew on that amount. He turned it down because he was fed up of being kicked week in week out.

I have always felt the Paul Scholes idea would fall at a similar hurdle. He doesn't need the money, and even if he doesn't want the money the idea of getting whacked by a load of lower league cloggers may not appeal.

What may, however, appeal is the route in to coaching via a player-coach role.

I don't think we'll see him play for Oldham ... but you never know.

So you reckon Scholes might actually agree to play for us on the grounds he is a tic......but only if we pay him relatively big money?! Get real, if he wants to play for us he will do. Money wont be an issue - he knows the financial circumstances. Plus I reckon he'd sooner the board paid £5k a week (for example) to a decent midfielder of striker for him to play with.

The whole possibility of Scholes playing for us revolves around him fulfilling a dream. Why would he let a few quid get in the way? The hurdle O4U points out is more of a concern.

So you reckon Scholes might actually agree to play for us on the grounds he is a tic......but only if we pay him relatively big money?! Get real, if he wants to play for us he will do. Money wont be an issue - he knows the financial circumstances. Plus I reckon he'd sooner the board paid £5k a week (for example) to a decent midfielder of striker for him to play with.

The whole possibility of Scholes playing for us revolves around him fulfilling a dream. Why would he let a few quid get in the way? The hurdle O4U points out is more of a concern.

That is an exceedingly naive view of the way the world works.

I do think it unlikely he will play for next to nothing, but am hopeful he would not demand top dollar.

That said, it makes you wonder if the appeal of playing/working with Shez might have been more ofr a draw than Dave Penney, no offence to him personally?

I woudl say although he didn;t rule it out, he did not rule it in either.Just non comittal, but I don;t think he has ever been anything other than non comittal, just journo interpretation.

There is a very long interview in the Daily Telegraph today with Scholes, in which he clearly states (1) everyone assumes l am a Oldham supporter - l am not, l am United, and (2) l did not enjoy my time when l was at Oldham as a fourteen year old.

Absolutely nothing about finishing his footy time with us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ay-cricket.html

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

"I actually left Oldham's School of Excellence to sign for United when I was 14. I didn't enjoy it at Oldham, so when Brian Kidd came to watch me and asked if I'd go down to United, there was only one answer really''.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ay-cricket.html

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

"I actually left Oldham's School of Excellence to sign for United when I was 14. I didn't enjoy it at Oldham, so when Brian Kidd came to watch me and asked if I'd go down to United, there was only one answer really''.

Strange one that as he still regularly comes to watch us in League One with his dad and son, I suppose it could be that it's summat he does with his dad and if the quotes are accurate, it pretty much blows that rumour out of the water!

Strange one that as he still regularly comes to watch us in League One with his dad and son, I suppose it could be that it's summat he does with his dad and if the quotes are accurate, it pretty much blows that rumour out of the water!

Well its difficult to get tickets for Old Trafford these days with all the success. Perhaps Paul's son cannot get in and therefore he takes him to watch Oldham :wink:

Very interesting comments, which as you say if true mean he will never come to BP to play. Though it seems odd given some of the comments/rumoured comments I have read or heard over the years.

1) World Cup 2002 press conference - Scholes says his footballing hero when growing up was Frankie Bunn.

2) Alex Ferguson when discussing Paul Scholes future a few years back said (in jest) the only club he would leave us for is Oldham

3) Its referred to a number of times on Sky commentary of games

4) I have seen him with his son at BP in the Chaddy - with chants of "sign him up" ringing round the stand.

Are all/any of these true or just urban myths? Well I know No4 is True as I was there, I have heard 3), but the 2 more key ones?

Well its difficult to get tickets for Old Trafford these days with all the success. Perhaps Paul's son cannot get in and therefore he takes him to watch Oldham :wink:

Very interesting comments, which as you say if true mean he will never come to BP to play. Though it seems odd given some of the comments/rumoured comments I have read or heard over the years.

1) World Cup 2002 press conference - Scholes says his footballing hero when growing up was Frankie Bunn.

2) Alex Ferguson when discussing Paul Scholes future a few years back said (in jest) the only club he would leave us for is Oldham

3) Its referred to a number of times on Sky commentary of games

4) I have seen him with his son at BP in the Chaddy - with chants of "sign him up" ringing round the stand.

Are all/any of these true or just urban myths? Well I know No4 is True as I was there, I have heard 3), but the 2 more key ones?

i have personally seen himin the chaddy with his lad,just enjoying a game until he was hounded out by people not leaving him and his son alone,and now watches from the main stand

it has been mentioned on sky games a few times,and i do recall ferguson saying he would only leave united for us.....not sure about number 1 though.

also think his lad has something to do with boundry blues/juniors i think....

as for couldnt wait to leave when brian kidd asked.....well that could apply to the majority of young kids with oodles of talent couldnt it,soon as united come in for anybody they normally leave,so wouldnt read too much into that.

the fact is he doesnt have anything to prove to anybody anymore,he plays for enjoyment and the match day experience,once he knows he cant cut it any longer at the top he will decide whats best for his family,not him...if that is coaching and a more routine schedule he will choose that....if its playing elsewhere,then thats upto him.

i would love nothing more than to see scholes pull on a latics shirt,he could still give us a couple of good seasons in this division and be great role model to the younger players.....not sure it will happen though.