95/96 season Part of a project i'm working on

I'm looking at writing a book called 'Royle to Royle: Into the Wilderness', it's only a rough draft part of a chapter and I know there's bits missing such as the Anglo-Italian adventures etc... but what's everybody think?

Part of the intro...

When Joe Royle walked out of Boundary Park on November 10th 1994 it was the end of an era of unprecedented success for little Oldham Athletic. Joe left the team as he had found them, mid-table in the second tier of English football. Whilst Joe went on to enjoy differing levels of success as his managerial career continued, the rot had already set in at Oldham Athletic...

Royle himself had recommended Graeme Sharp to the hot-seat at Boundary Park...

The summer of 1995 was one of cautious optimism for Latics fans. The summer was a fantastic one, the weather the hottest in a good few years. There were storm clouds gathering over Boundary Park though. Latics icon Andy Ritchie was released, some say Sharp felt him too old at almost 35 to play a big part in his team – but he had scored 13 goals the previous season and remarkably for someone with a long history of injuries had played in over 30 games. Others say that Sharp felt threatened by Ritchie’s presence, it had been well documented that Ritchie had applied for the job and been unsuccessful after Royle’s departure – Sharp knew that any rough patch would lead to the immediate calls for the installation of Ritchie to the top job. Rick Holden, Andy Barlow and Neil Pointon also left the club. The financial pressures of another season in the Nationwide League were beginning to hit home. There were no new summer signings but hopes were high after the return to training of record signing Ian Olney, who had been out for more than 18 months with a busted cruciate ligament. Unfortunately the decision to play Olney in a reserve friendly proved to the beginning of the end. On the hard uneven surface Olney went over on his ankle – resulting in damaged ligaments and a broken ankle. It would be October before he returned. The squad looked distinctively slimmer than it had done in previous seasons and for the first time in a decade financial constraints had meant that the club were needing to turn to youth. Youngsters such as Scott McNiven, Paul Gerrard (actually beginning his third full season), Chris Makin, Paul Rickers, David Beresford and Richard Graham would be joined by Carl Serrant and Andrew Hughes as regular starters. Disappointingly the club lost two other promising youngsters over the summer – John Eyre who had made his debut in the Premier League at Chelsea, having spent most of the season out on loan at Scunthorpe was allowed to make the move permanent and highly-rated goalkeeper Ian Gray made the short move to Rochdale.

Highlight of the pre-season campaign was a victory over Joe Royle’s FA Cup Holders Everton, coming from a goal down to win 2-1. Midfield jewel Paul Bernard scoring in the game but his future was increasingly uncertain and by late September he had signed for Aberdeen in another big-money move as despite the parachute payments from the Premier League the financial realities of the Nationwide League began to hit the club hard.

The season opened at Boundary Park in front of a bumper crowd against newly promoted Huddersfield Town, an early Gunnar Halle wonder strike was ruled out – harshly by the referee but it made little difference. Latics were always in control after Mark Brennan squeezed in a skimming drive mid-way through the first half. A free-kick from Brennan and another from Lee Richardson saw a resounding opening day 3-0 win, on a day that had typically started out in bright Boundary Park sunshine, yet the final stages were played out in monsoon conditions!

Of course, 1995/96 was the centenary of football in Oldham and to celebrate this Manchester United (reserves) came to town for a high-profile friendly amid the carnival atmosphere, the team’s toothlessness that would raise its head week after week saw them lose a pedestrian game 2-0. Despite this setback hopes were high on the second Saturday of the season at Barnsley, down to ten men and 2-0 down; a late Sean McCarthy tap-in could not hide the same failings that had blighted the team for years away from home. One bright spark was the return of Darren Beckford who had missed the whole of the previous season, in fact I am sure many Latics fans had completely forgot about him! In fact, it was to prove a false dawn and injuries again blighted the robust striker’s season. In fact the club spent most of the season touting his services to other clubs, in order to get his expensive contract off the payroll.

By mid-October the team were in a healthy 8th position, then on the eve of the home clash with Reading, the news broke that Latics financial problems had again reared their ugly head. Leeds United’s £1 Million bid for Richard Jobson had been accepted. Manager Graeme Sharp was understandably disappointed to lose the mainstay of his defence but the offer was very good for a 32 year old whose injury problems were becoming more frequent. Sharp moved quickly to shore up his squad with the temporary signings of defender Michele Vonk from Manchester City and striker Paul Wilkinson from Middlesbrough. The loan signings proved astute Vonk providing presence at the back to compensate for Jobson’s loss and Wilkinson providing an alternative presence alongside McCarthy. Wilkinson and Vonk’s stay at Boundary Park proved to be shorter than anticipated. Wilkinson apparently cut-short his loan spell after refusing to be named as substitute for the game at Molineux (a stunning 3-1 win) and Vonk returned to his parent club through injury. In the mean time the board had loosened the purse strings enough for manager Graeme Sharp to again raid his former club to the tune of £350,000 for Stuart Barlow, Sharp citing that his pace would be a real threat. Barlow himself openly admitted the reason he moved was that the money was too good to turn down! Toddy Orlyggsson a midfielder, arrived around the same time from Stoke City for £180,000. His four year spell at Boundary park was blighted by injury and under-achievement. Free-scoring in his Stoke days, he managed one penalty in only 65 starts. Barlow enjoyed a scoring debut putting the team 2-0 up against league leaders Millwall; despite never looking in any real danger a late capitulation saw the South Londoners nick a point.

Next up was the annual lack lustre performance at home to Southend with an unlucky Ian Snodin’s own goal separating the sides. The slide down the table had begun and by the time newly-promoted and big spending Birmingham City arrived at Boundary Park in mid-December a win was becoming of desperate importance to arrest the slide and to try and reignite an unlikely play-off push. Despite Christmas being nine days off, festive cheer filled Boundary Park with the Birmingham defence playing the role of happy St. Nick, two own goals (one from giant striker Kevin Francis) were added to by tap-ins from Barlow and Halle saw Latics enjoy a rare 4-0 success. In fact it was the biggest win in Graeme Sharp’s 27 month tenure. Inclement weather caused most of the Christmas and New Year programme to be decimated. The team then went five games without scoring before the restored Darren Beckford bagged a brace in a cup replay win over a Neil Redfearn inspired Barnsley. The first league win of 1996 arrived in February, a 2-0 win over Norwich at Boundary Park. The away form was still a concern and there was real disappointment in a limp performance at Swindon in the FA Cup seeing the team go down to a narrow 1-0 defeat to the third tier Robins. Still, the form in the Endsleigh League Division One was the real concern.

A moral boosting win over promotion hopefuls Leicester City (managed by newly appointed Martin O’Neill and sporting a young Emile Heskey up front) at a wintry Boundary Park gave hope of a renewed assault on the top-half of the table, hopes were quickly dashed with three consecutive away defeats. By the time Grimsby arrived at Boundary Park in early April the Latics were third from bottom and four points adrift, the situation was becoming increasingly desperate, Stuart Barlow’s late winner offered a little respite before the Blues were sunk deeper into the mire – a controversial Marco Gabbiadini penalty, giving top of the table Derby a narrow win at Boundary Park on Easter Saturday. The short-trip down the M6 on Easter Monday held little hope. Vale Park, so long the graveyard of Latics’ hopes and dreams. Astoundingly the team put in perhaps its most complete performance of the season running out resounding winners at three goals to one, Darren Beckford scoring on his old stomping ground. Wolves were entertained at Boundary Park in a remarkable game at Boundary Park. When Paul Gerrard went off injured early on, there was no goalkeeper on the bench – striker Darren Beckford was charged with keeping out the prolific Steve Bull and Don Goodman. The big striker and his defence did the team proud, holding out for a creditable yet less than useful point. It should have been all three points – loanee striker Gerry Creaney fluffing a late spot kick. The point although seen as two dropped would eventually take on greater significance. Three away games followed and four points were gained including a Lee Richardson penalty being enough for a vital win at now relegation haunted Millwall (who had led the table in late November). Another point secured at Southend meant that survival was now in Athletic’s own hands with two games remaining – both at home.

A big crowd packed into Boundary Park to see a re-invigorated Latics take on play-off challengers Stoke City, an early Lee Richardson penalty was added to by a sublime flick from Gerry Creaney. The club were safe from the ignominy of Premiership to Third tier in the space of two years. Relegated Luton were seen off by a late Stuart Barlow goal on the final Sunday.

Survival had been achieved but again it had come at a cost, the squad was again decimated over the summer. Paul Gerrard left for Everton in another £1 million deal, Chris Makin took advantage of the Bosman ruling to secure from himself a lucrative free transfer to Marseille and in the process denying the club which nurtured him up to a seven figure fee. Darren Beckford was allowed to join Neil Pointon at Hearts . Maek Brennan was also released. As the previous season wore on it looked increasingly likely that Ian Olney’s 2 ½ year fight against a succession of serious injuries would be lost – Olney ultimately had to retire, his knee unable to withstand the rigours of the professional game. Surprisingly he did manage to turn out for Kidderminster for a season or so.

So as we moved into that never to be forgotten summer of Euro '96 for Latics fans, it was one of anxiety and exasperation, Graeme Sharp had been widely tipped to be sacked in the close season, instead the board gave him a new contract, much to the displeasure of many fans. Defensively the team had been solid in 95/96, never conceding more than two goals in a game, but the lack of goals throughout the team meant that often one or two goals was usually enough to defeat his team. A particular favourite was the 2-1 defeat! There was new arrival in the shape of Rangers reserve team winger John Morrow, but the squad was looking even more youthful and paper thin than it had done previously and many felt (including the author) without significant investment and a change of manager that relegation was inevitable...

Edited by oafcprozac

My god, it was like yesterday!

I still remember being in the small section of the RRE when Birmingham came and they were giving us the cut throat move and threatening to kill us, as us (a bunch of kids) were winding them up no end!

I'm looking at writing a book called 'Royle to Royle: Into the Wilderness', it's only a rough draft part of a chapter and I know there's bits missing such as the Anglo-Italian adventures etc... but what's everybody think?

loved it - I'd buy it. I think just the right amount of detail but not enough to stop the story moving. When is it coming out?

Typos -

"Maek Brennan"

"As the previous season wore on it looked increasingly likely that Ian Olney’s 2 ½ year fight..."

"The squad looked distinctively slimmer..."

loved it - I'd buy it. I think just the right amount of detail but not enough to stop the story moving. When is it coming out?

Typos -

"Maek Brennan"

"As the previous season wore on it looked increasingly likely that Ian Olney’s 2 ½ year fight..."

"The squad looked distinctively slimmer..."

It's still at the conceptual stage at the moment, but with my depth of knowledge shouldn't take too long to put the narrative together then I'd have to look at adding photos, fan interviews etc... then I'd have to speak to the club etc.. Once the narrative is in place I'll look at moving it forward. Obviously then I'd like advice over getting it published (not a clue on this one!)

The chapters will be different in length

focusing on

Intro summat similar to what I posted about Roye's second coming in March

Sharp (of which the sample I've posted is about a third of the full chapter)

Warnock

Ritchie

Wadsworth, Dowie and Chris Moore

Summer of Hell and the arrival of the TTA

Talbot

Moore

Shez

and ultimately the return of Royle and the dawn of Penney's new era

I want to devote one chapter to the failings of the last 15 years and why we are where we are, lack of investment, failure of Sportspark 2000 etc.. (In fact I'll just use Corp's last 500 posts! :wink:

I still remember being in the small section of the RRE when Birmingham came and they were giving us the cut throat move and threatening to kill us, as us (a bunch of kids) were winding them up no end!

got told that every team (fans) used to love coming to oldham in the old days because they always got it :grin: quality

It's still at the conceptual stage at the moment, but with my depth of knowledge shouldn't take too long to put the narrative together then I'd have to look at adding photos, fan interviews etc... then I'd have to speak to the club etc.. Once the narrative is in place I'll look at moving it forward. Obviously then I'd like advice over getting it published (not a clue on this one!)

focusing on

Warnock

Ritchie

Talbot

Moore

Shez

I want to devote one chapter to the failings of the last 15 years and why we are where we are, lack of investment, failure of Sportspark 2000 etc.. (In fact I'll just use Corp's last 500 posts! :wink:

Dave Ogden (DAveOg) may well be able to hoffer some advice in that line Prozac, as he has hasd several books published, including OASIS Fertile Area ina Baren Land, that I am still the proud owner of.

focusing on

Warnock

Ritchie

Talbot

Moore

Shez

Feel free. Good luck, and I hope you manage to see it through. I'd buy it.

Jesus i remember that and when Sheff united came to our place and it seemed every one of there fans took there shirts off and was singing a song in unison,great atmosphere.

Does anybody remember the old guy "Scotty", who used to spend all match shouting at the ref he was chucked out a few times and everyone used to chant his name.

You mention Talbot, Ronnie and C. Moore - you may want to take some outline legal guidance about what may be likely to precipitate any legal actions. As a fan it may be difficult to stick to the facts. :ranting:

And Alan H and TTA may want some sanction over the chapter "failings of the last 15 years" !!

Anyway - how do you remember all this stuff? I can't remember games last year never mind 15 years ago.

You mention Talbot, Ronnie and C. Moore - you may want to take some outline legal guidance about what may be likely to precipitate any legal actions. As a fan it may be difficult to stick to the facts. :ranting:

And Alan H and TTA may want some sanction over the chapter "failings of the last 15 years" !!

Anyway - how do you remember all this stuff? I can't remember games last year never mind 15 years ago.

Tbh, i've managed to keep Sharp's tenure as neutral as possible so RM and Talbot shouldn't be a problem seeing as Sharp's period in charge was three times as long! As for 'Failings' meaning the fact we have sunk to the third tier and we don't exactly look like returning to the Championship any time soon. The Sportspark stuff will be properly researched, as will stuff relating to Manchester North end, Lees. There will be nothing libellous and i'm sure the finished product will be more than complimentary to Hardy and TTA endeavours. As for Chris Moore i'll stick to the facts, I know enough people in the trust and at BP to get the facts.

As for remembering this stuff, Latics was my whole life until my kids were born, anything from 86-98 is can be recalled pretty much instantaneously. 1998 onward? Tbh just as photographic, probably why I'm a History Graduate and looking to be a History teacher!

and it's not just Latics, my football knowledge in general is pretty :censored: hot, proven when sweeping the other 91 clubs representatives aside in the Football Mind competition I strolled to in 2004. That's not being arrogant, I just know there's not many out there that can live with my depth of knowledge. And that's real knowledge not the stupid trick questions people come up with in pubs...

Just a quick observation...firstly much respect for remembering all that, awesome.

You may want to give the tone a bit of thought...if you're going to try and get this published you'll need to decide if it is essentially a reference book (ie sticking to the actual events) or a 'fans' view (events alongside your own views).

That first extract contained a bit of both, and that's where you risk running foul of any libel stuff or 'alienating' readers who think it is a reference book and end up getting your version of events as opposed to a general view of events. Nothing wrong with your own view on the events, so perhaps consider going all out onlong those lines...kind of a 'Royle to Royle: Into the Wilderness' (my team and me)...that way you can also include some background stories about the Anglo-Italian cup adventures which were sometime fun.

Self-publication is pretty straight forward these days and would be the easiest way to get it published. There's quite a few locally who can help with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong this is off the top of my head random information didn't we get beat 4 times by Tranmere this season! This was at the point where they did really hold an indian sign over us. I remember that Tranmere game at home we were absolutley dreadful being 2 nil down and the crowd turning on the team and sharpe particularly.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Dave Ogden (DAveOg) may well be able to hoffer some advice in that line Prozac, as he has hasd several books published, including OASIS Fertile Area ina Baren Land, that I am still the proud owner of.

Not so sure about the "several" Singe - just the one as far as I'm aware! Glad to hear you've srill got it. I actually lent one out the other day to someone who has just started at my office; his father-in-law is a teacher at Bluecoat and I believe used to be involved in doing Latics commentaries for the internet site.

There's some good writing there; I guess the issue is how many people would buy such a tale of almost unremtting gloom!!

I'm very close to finishing my latest semi-literary project. I've been working for some time on a screenplay featuring a group of exiled Northerners attempting to rescue their bankrupt hometown football club. Quite where the inspiration for that comes from will remain a mystery

It's a comedy and I'm very pleased with how it's looking as it nears the state of being ready to be sent off to potential directors, and I do have a few useful contatcts. Look out for the advert casting for extras in advance of the world premiere at The Roxy!

Correct me if I'm wrong this is off the top of my head random information didn't we get beat 4 times by Tranmere this season! This was at the point where they did really hold an indian sign over us. I remember that Tranmere game at home we were absolutley dreadful being 2 nil down and the crowd turning on the team and sharpe particularly.

Yeah 0-1 (A) and 1-3 (H) in the League Cup

and 0-2 (A) and 1-2 (H) in the League, the home game being live on ITV.

The league cup home defeat was horrendous, I was suffering in agony with toothache and begged the St. John's Ambulance staff to give me a couple of paracetomol, guess what they said? The game was also memorable for the dog's abuse sean McCarthy received for his poor performance. It later transpired he had supposedly spent most of the previous 24 hours at his wifes bedside. What the hell he was doing on a football pitch I don't know, he must have been in one hell of a state. Knobs in the Chaddy end is not 21st century phenomenon.

focusing on

Warnock

Ritchie

Talbot

Moore

Shez

could i possibly forerward some input regarding the decline of oldham athletic..i'll start with an interview with the leader of oldham council ..and end with his comments

Edited by Zorrro
I still don't understand how people manage to put their replies in the quote tags...

Dont think it was the year in question beardy as I always have the memory of birmingham fan's doing a conga when they were 4-0 down.

Dont think it was the year in question beardy as I always have the memory of birmingham fan's doing a conga when they were 4-0 down.

Now the Job situation is cleared up, I'll have much more time to work on this (two weeks jollies apart) so I may post updates and maybe get the good folk of OWTB to stick up snippets every now and again.

96/97 Highlights (if you can call anything from that hellish season that!)Kinky missing a pen and Banger slips on his arse to defeat City, Danny Standring's pitch invasion, the famous Chron headline " What's going on Graeme?" after a second weak goalless home performance in the space of a week, Lee Richardson's fight with two dogs! and Latics take on a Newcastle side at St James' park three days after Manchester United and fare better by four goals!

Edited by oafcprozac