Signing is Joe Jacobson

i wish the moaners would name names for new targets instead of saying 'we should be after championship players' etc

to slag new signings off that they havent seen play on a regular basis, there football knowledge must be extensive

so lets have a few names eh moaners

I too would like to know this, who is classed as a good target? Especially as it looks like we can only afford free transfers!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right hang on, Yes this bloke's unwanted by Bristol Rovers (if they really wanted him he'd still be there). Yes Bristol Rovers are in the same league as us but who do you expect we will be signing no one from the Championship is going to want to come play for us. I'd much rather have someone who is on there way up in a career (in terms of age towards prime) than someone on the way down. We now have Wales's reserve full backs playing for us- I'm undecided if I want us to sign someone else who will be called up for internationals regularly as it will mean I see even less games. Gunter and/or Bale get injured and we have the replacement- they play well for Wales it puts some money on to their transfer fee, we make money. I'd much rather have him play Left Back than Lomax. Yes he's not played regularly for Rovers but he was being kept out of the team by Lescott's brother (who has similar attributes to Lescott) and he might well have played more regularly for some other teams in this league (us included). We are Oldham Athletic we are not Man United, we will not be signing big name players. In fact when you look at our big name players signed under Shez/RM how many are still at the club and how many left in dischord (Gregan would possibly still get a game and Liddell went half a season too far). We now need at least 1 striker and 1 centre half but I would prefer 2 in both positions and 1 goalie and we have a squad that might be capable of doing something in this league.

Another thing someone else pointed out (I think it was FMS), we have lacked a bit of bite in the team for a while and teams have on more than one occassion out-muscled/out-battled/out-fought us it looks like DP is getting some players in who can stop that. You can do very very well in this league with a goalie, 7 battlers and 3 quality forward players (we have 1 quality forward player in Taylor who is the best winger in this league).

Welcome to BP JJ

I'd much rather have him play Left Back than Lomax.....You can do very very well in this league with a goalie, 7 battlers and 3 quality forward players (we have 1 quality forward player in Taylor who is the best winger in this league).

Welcome to BP JJ

I'd rather have a traffic cone play left back rather than Lomax.... however, I'm actually stunned that we have got 6 pages into this thread without a "why are we signing a rubbish player like this when we could play lomax" statement.

I have absolutely no idea whether Jacobsen is any good or not, however saying that, i'm sure he will be better than Lomax or Black (for the moment). Therefore it is a positve signing.

....as for the rest of your statement... spot on... all about the strikers, the rest is all gravy as long as they have got a bit of bite and determination. Just another piece in the jigsaw, whom wont cost the world, with funds still left for some quality up top.

Edited by BigfinLatic

"Oldham are a big club and new manager Dave Penny has a reputation of getting the best out of players...that suits me fine..I can't wait to show Latics fans just what I can bring to the party"

I thought we were trying to get rid of the drinking mentality amongst our players! :ranting:

:wink:

Joe Jacobson, might be a brilliant signing, also to the people who are saying lomax can't cut it. Well left back isn't is posistion and when he played right bck when eardley went of the boil he actually played well.

Joe Jacobson, might be a brilliant signing, also to the people who are saying lomax can't cut it. Well left back isn't is posistion and when he played right bck when eardley went of the boil he actually played well.

Look, Kelvin Lomax has done some nice things in his time at Latics.

The pass to Gary McDonald at Goodison Park being the highlight. The own goal last season (Northampton?) was special too!!

But in both full back positions you need a player who can defend resolutely, stop the crosses coming in and also get forward to deliver that telling cross for the striker to knock home.

I would say that despite his imperfections, Neal Eardley does that more often than not.

Kelvin? He works hard, but an overlapping full back he isn't. Defensively he is at best adequate for this level.

Quite happy to have him step in for a game or two to cover injuries and suspensions, but it's clear that he is not a long term solution at left back or right back if Oldham Athletic wish to progress.

Whilst admitting that Lomax isn't a left back, he has become an easy target on here. Results wise, didn't we pick up more points when he played than Jones? The problem was people see Jones catching the eye with attacking play, but he was a garbage full back. Not forgetting we were unbeaten until Jones came in!!!

So we lose both now when Internationals call....

it's like playing cards with kids - sometimes you just have to laugh and admit that you don't understand the rules and that you should just let them win.

listen - he might not be first choice in the left back position when he gets called up. Or - he might be first choice and not get called up - why don't we just wait and see what happens before we start pulling the whole thing apart? or does that spoil your fun?

If we had signed a full Wales international at 22 years old from Wolves reserves for example I think the signing would have been met with more positivity.

The bloke may just need a change of scene, lets not forget Ruben didn't have a club when we picked him up and he's done ok for us.

The signings made are all sensible ones for me, and in areas that everyone says we struggled with last season, a hard working midfielder, a real left back and Puride who can cover a decent number of positions and do a job.

As people have said previosuly as long as you get 8 grafters at this level and 2 players who can put the ball in the net you wont go far wrong, just look at Scunny.

Sonds :censored: to be honest but who cares? Full backs don't get you promoted.

What an absolutely dumb comment!!!

It takes 11 players with differing roles, all of which are important. A couple of seasons ago, we were playing excellent winning football with a left back called Simon Charlton until his legs went and then we started to slide. Defensive clean sheets are as essential as goals.

Welcome to BP, Joe. Has looked a decent player when he's come up against us in the past.

And it's nice for TTA to have someone new to invite over for Friday night dinner.

Sounds like a PR stunt to me to try and get the huge yet dormant Jewish population of Oldham to start getting behind Latics.

I honestly can't think of a single name for a LB that anyone has come up with on here in years apart from players we have already had, and that ginger from MK Twatbag:censored:scum. I'm sure he'll be reet.

What an absolutely dumb comment!!!

It takes 11 players with differing roles, all of which are important. A couple of seasons ago, we were playing excellent winning football with a left back called Simon Charlton until his legs went and then we started to slide. Defensive clean sheets are as essential as goals.

Dumb? My comment or the one you were about to type?

Strikers are what its all about. One good full back won't get you up neither will having a wank left back stop you going up if you have a quality goalscorer.