Signing is Joe Jacobson

I think I've worked out that what some Oldham fans are demanding is 23 year old proven Premiership standard players picked up for nothing from non-league clubs.... am I wrong? :unsure:

No , spot on. :)

After all every time we've signed anyone else they've turned out to be rubbish. Just look at Hazell, or Eyres, or Carss, or , in fact, anybody who has been released or rejected as not good enough for another c;ub.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got to say it looks like we will be mid table next season unfortunately whos next let me guess probably someone released by a league 1 or 2 team

Are you shocked by that?

I expect it and to be honest would be quite happy with a mid table finish. With all the changes that have/will happen over the summer.

I think there are a fair few wind ups in here,

Anyone with an ounce of common sense or knowledge about football in the lower tiers should be able to realise that there is a fine line between a player being a success or failure at this level. Loads of factors come into play on how good a player is at a certain club.

So Jacobson wasnt a great success at Bristol Rovers, who cares, he could be a quality addition to our squad if Penney manages to get the best out of him, of course it could go the other way and hes rubbish, he might get a career threatening injury in his first pre season game. Anything could happen lets give him a chance and wait and see.

ive got to say it looks like we will be mid table next season unfortunately whos next let me guess probably someone released by a league 1 or 2 team

I mean to make debate, not pick on you... who do you expect us to be looking at? Realistically?

we will see so far so bad as it goes... lets see whos in next

like for like so far we have replaced

allott with worthington- unsure possibly we have a better player

jones with jacobson- not promising at all

lids/maher with purdie- again unsure

I must admit, I do like how Dave Penney is seemingly constructing a team of hatchet men dirtybastards for the coming season. If anything I am looking forward to seeing some really crunching tackles on opposition players. I've missed this ever since mini-Shez left to be honest.

we will see so far so bad as it goes... lets see whos in next

like for like so far we have replaced

allott with worthington- unsure possibly we have a better player

jones with jacobson- not promising at all

lids/maher with purdie- again unsure

i fail to see why you are upset with those changes?

I mean to make debate, not pick on you... who do you expect us to be looking at? Realistically?

its just not very encouraging a player that has been released by a team we should/are better than that has played 6 games last season, a player released by huds that they dont want... its like all rejects roll up to BP get yourself a deal

its just not very encouraging a player that has been released by a team we should/are better than that has played 6 games last season, a player released by huds that they dont want... its like all rejects roll up to BP get yourself a deal

I wasn't questioning this signing mate... you said our next signing : "[is] probably someone released by a league 1 or 2 team"

I think that's almost 100% nailed on to come true... but what do you expect? Can we realisitcally expect that to not be true? We're not going to attract Premiership or Championship players here - that's a fact of life for 98% of teams at this level... so do you honestly expect different?

COMMENTS FROM GAS FORUM

They have a quality player there!

I agree. Despite being slated by many on here, I do feel that JJ is a player we may well regret letting go.

If he can find the form he found in the early stages of his time with us then I agree. However, last season (granted he did have injuries) he looked well out of his depth and, based on that, IMO he was rightly released (considering we're trying to free wages for new, better signings).

Regardless of all of that, I hope he does well as he seems like a good lad and I have nothing against him at all.

Best of luck JJ.

think JJ is a very good player who was in good form at the start of last season before injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very well at Oldham and gets back into Wales' international reckoning

Jj can't pass to save his life and was skinned all too easily. He was awful at the end of the season before last, prior to his injury and was overshadowed by a right footed rightback in the left back position. Might just be good enough at this level, but no higher imo

A decent player who was an improvement on Carruthers.

He was pretty inconsistent though and sometimes I found him to be lightweight and prone to lapses in concentration.

I trust Trolls to improve the squad so I have no doubt that who ever plays LB for the 09/10 campaign will be a better addition than JJ was.

Good luck to him.

Edited by dean 1984

I wasn't questioning this signing mate... you said our next signing : "[is] probably someone released by a league 1 or 2 team"

I think that's almost 100% nailed on to come true... but what do you expect? Can we realisitcally expect that to not be true? We're not going to attract Premiership or Championship players here - that's a fact of life for 98% of teams at this level... so do you honestly expect different?

Id like to see us go for someone like that Furman, hope thats true, someone like Trotman, Llera, but its unlikely that we will

COMMENTS FROM GAS FORUM

I agree. Despite being slated by many on here, I do feel that JJ is a player we may well regret letting go.

If he can find the form he found in the early stages of his time with us then I agree. However, last season (granted he did have injuries) he looked well out of his depth and, based on that, IMO he was rightly released (considering we're trying to free wages for new, better signings).

Regardless of all of that, I hope he does well as he seems like a good lad and I have nothing against him at all.

Best of luck JJ.

think JJ is a very good player who was in good form at the start of last season before injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very well at Oldham and gets back into Wales' international reckoning

Send the bugger back! :wink:

COMMENTS FROM GAS FORUM

Best of luck JJ.

Jj can't pass to save his life and was skinned all too easily. He was awful at the end of the season before last, prior to his injury and was overshadowed by a right footed rightback in the left back position. Might just be good enough at this level, but no higher imo

A decent player who was an improvement on Carruthers.

He was pretty inconsistent though and sometimes I found him to be lightweight and prone to lapses in concentration.

I trust Trolls to improve the squad so I have no doubt that who ever plays LB for the 09/10 campaign will be a better addition than JJ was.

Good luck to him.

But he's a reject Dean. Don't listen to them!

We will, DP has said he is in contact with clubs from the premier league regarding signing players on long term loans.

Think you need 3 away to postpone a game for internationals

Theres this forward called Delroy Facey, he's about to win his first cap for Greneda,

Worth a punt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to trust the managers judgement on this one, he will have seen the player several times and must have been impressed.

When I saw him a couple of years ago I was impressed too, but since then his progress has been held back by a series of

injuries, if he can regain 100% fitness he could prove to be a valuable asset.

Edited by BP1960