Signing is Joe Jacobson

Some mixed, but mostly positive views from Brizzle Rovers fans:

I think he's a good player who was unlucky with injuries in the final year of his contract and struggled for form when he got back into the side and was probably, on balance, rightly released.

Although things didn't work out for him here, I have no doubt he could make a career in League One, and wouldn't be totally surprised if he went higher. Good luck to him.

They have a quality player there!

I agree. Despite being slated by many on here, I do feel that JJ is a player we may well regret letting go.

If he can find the form he found in the early stages of his time with us then I agree. However, last season (granted he did have injuries) he looked well out of his depth and, based on that, IMO he was rightly released (considering we're trying to free wages for new, better signings).

Regardless of all of that, I hope he does well as he seems like a good lad and I have nothing against him at all.

Best of luck JJ.

I think JJ is a very good player who was in good form at the start of last season before injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if he does very well at Oldham and gets back into Wales' international reckoning

Jj can't pass to save his life and was skinned all too easily. He was awful at the end of the season before last, prior to his injury and was overshadowed by a right footed rightback in the left back position. Might just be good enough at this level, but no higher imo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent player who was an improvement on Carruthers.

He was pretty inconsistent though and sometimes I found him to be lightweight and prone to lapses in concentration.

I trust Trolls to improve the squad so I have no doubt that who ever plays LB for the 09/10 campaign will be a better addition than JJ was.

Good luck to him.

Yes, he is inconsistant, yes he is only just good enough for this level at the moment but he is only 22? In a few years time he will be playing in the chamionship IMO!

The only thing he was consistant at was slicing the ball into the stands. Was the right decision letting him go.

This is a massive loss for Rovers - mark my words.

Its absolute rubbish to say he is a poor passr of the ball. He played at number 3 in case you didnt realise and very few passes went astray. He was also the Captain and one of the best players in the best under 21 Wales side ever. The side who played England off the park at Villa Park and were very lucky not to have won. He also played Abonlahor off the park in the first half who was taken off then outplayer Frazer Campbell.

He transformed the team when he arrived and Rovers only lost once after he arrived. In the season before last, he played a big part in getting us to the qtr final of the cup and plyed in around 60 games - incredible for a young player in his first season.

In pre-season last year he sufferred from a horrific tackle in Sweden, then a rib injury against Leicester. He only started around 5 games and in most other only came on for 10 minutes or so due to the injuries.

With no reserve team games he was bound to be rusty, but fortuntaely most fans have the sense to realise this and gave him fantastic support where I was sitting.

To have a go at him now is absolutely typical of a few on here who enjoy seeing their name in lights for a few moments. The same few who have critised nearly every other Rovers player in the past including.

Lescott, Lambert, Disley, Lines, Hughes etc etc.

For me letting JJ leave this club is a backwards step. I think that reason he and the others went was simply because there is no money to spend and by getting rid of the out of contract players, the management were able to bring in fresh faces. I would be surprised given the above that we can improve the squad dramatically. Lets face it the vast majority of games were pretty dire and if Rovers get a bad start things will bacome pretty horrible very fast

Best of luck to JJ, hope things work out for him at Oldham. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised at this transfer. Out of the four players released by us this summer, I expected him to find the 'worst' club in terms of status but as it turns out he's found the best.

Started off his career with us quite brightly but a few injuries and limited first team appearances later, his confidence was shattered. His performance against Huddersfield towards the end of the season will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons.

Not a bad defender, but absolutely terrible distribution. The fact that Oldham have signed him is the only indication I have had over the past 2 years that he could ever possibly be a league 1 player.

Best of luck to him, though not when he plays Rovers

Spot on Mark.

In my eyes JJ is a Div 2 player as I can't remember a spell in Division 1 where he was outstanding over 6 to 10 games. I've just spoken to an Oldham season ticket holder about this and the rumour up their is JJ is cheap wages for them and not neccesary first choice. Oldham have had their budget slashed and they've basically signed a player who can play in 3 positions, left back, centre back and left midfield.

I will sum up JJ end of season for us and the fans opinion on him, he was liked and respected but we had no threads on this forum saying nhe should stay like we did for the likes of Hinton and Disley and that tells the story, the fans and management want better.

I really rated JJ when he first arrived, but must admit that last season he had a nightmare. However, I have a feeling that he will become a very good player. Good Luck JJ.

Source: http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84627

Joe Jacobson, might be a brilliant signing, also to the people who are saying lomax can't cut it. Well left back isn't is posistion and when he played right bck when eardley went of the boil he actually played well.

Who played well? Lomax? Do you sniff glue?

Dumb? My comment or the one you were about to type?

Strikers are what its all about. One good full back won't get you up neither will having a wank left back stop you going up if you have a quality goalscorer.

so if we score 100 goals this season we will go up............ unless of course we concede 100.

its all about the team, getting the right balance

a left footed left back helps that balance for a start

Pretty pleased with all 3 signings so far. Purdie brings some good versatility and by all accounts first rate attitude and fitness, Worthington a bit of grit to a midfield that has been too soft since the loss of "Bad-tackle" Wellens and this lad sounds reasonable.

How can we be complaining? He's free, young and with a decent pedigree - the least that deserves is a chance.

Also if anyone here still thinks that Lomax can do a job then could they please check themselves in to the nearest sanitarium? The boy tries hard but is rubbish on the ball, cannot tackle and is poor positionally.

I still hope to see more of Black this year; he's been mentioned for so long that I cannot bring myself to believe that he's not decent.

Oh, and as for that Zorrro comment - no man replaces the Staminator's studly magnificence. Hang your head sir and apologise.

I don't know much about the lad. From the comments I have read i'm guessing he has the potential to be a good player at this level he just needs to realise it and hopefully he will be over his injuries which will help.

I'm not suprised by some of the reactions from certain people of here putting him down before they have even seen him play, but most of these will probably have a box of tissues ready if we sign Abbott (a costly Swansea reject) or Furman ( who has had 30 odd games for Bradford)

Anyway the team is starting to take shape and so far it seems it will have a lot more fight than what was shown last season.

Bang on mate, cant believe some of the clowns on here

5700 average crowd

3000 season tickets

= Realistic signings

GET REAL

I have no intention of criticising a player of whom I know nothing, but the only result we've ever seen from the 'cut your cloth accordingly' approach is decline.

Dumb? My comment or the one you were about to type?

Strikers are what its all about. One good full back won't get you up neither will having a wank left back stop you going up if you have a quality goalscorer.

You get worse, sunshine!

We had a supposedly "quality" goalscorer in Hughes. We couldn't do it. We had Porter (our best forward for a few years). We couldn't do it.

So by your expert analysis, we should get the cheapest 9 outfield players and goalkeeper and put all the money on one goalscorer. Job done. Quality. Makes me why we got Dave Penney in!!!

You get worse, sunshine!

We had a supposedly "quality" goalscorer in Hughes. We couldn't do it. We had Porter (our best forward for a few years). We couldn't do it.

So by your expert analysis, we should get the cheapest 9 outfield players and goalkeeper and put all the money on one goalscorer. Job done. Quality. Makes me why we got Dave Penney in!!!

Isn't that the thing? We get a manager who seems to have his head screwed on and a good record, who's going to be given a chance to build his own team on a limited budget (Neil Warnock? Brian Talbot? Ronnie Moore?) and suddenly we're all supposed to believe that it's all going to be different this time.

Isn't that the thing? We get a manager who seems to have his head screwed on and a good record, who's going to be given a chance to build his own team on a limited budget (Neil Warnock? Brian Talbot? Ronnie Moore?) and suddenly we're all supposed to believe that it's all going to be different this time.

I think I would call it hope. I don't think many would bet their house on us achieving success but they still have hope that we will. Frankly, what the point of bothering otherwise. Of course you get some people who like to complain all the time....

I think I would call it hope. I don't think many would bet their house on us achieving success but they still have hope that we will. Frankly, what the point of bothering otherwise. Of course you get some people who like to complain all the time....

There was hope aplenty when those other managers rode into town. Since when did teams get promoted on the basis of hope?

(I'm not criticising DP in advance, by the way-just pointing out some parallels.)

I think a lot of people need to remember this is a team game.One thing we lacked badly last year was team spirit and togetherness .Which I am sure we will see more evidence of.

Lets wait bedfore we cast judgement,we have signed plenty of nobodys before who have done well for us. Interstingly Leeds Signed a 30year old full back from Northampton this week hmmmmm!!!!

Edited by penrhyn

Sorry to go back a bit, but Dean, why compare JJ with Jones? For 1 Jones was a loanee, not even our player. 2 I thought he was good going forward, defensively.........poor. 3 Jones said he was a defender.....yeah, my cock's a kipper.

Why not wait, reserve judgement until JJ has played half a season. There's a reason DP has signed him.

Sorry to go back a bit, but Dean, why compare JJ with Jones? For 1 Jones was a loanee, not even our player. 2 I thought he was good going forward, defensively.........poor. 3 Jones said he was a defender.....yeah, my cock's a kipper.

Why not wait, reserve judgement until JJ has played half a season. There's a reason DP has signed him.

There is no way I could ever eat a kipper again.

why the f*** have we signed fitz hall, non league s*** player :ranting:

just read all 8 pages and who ever slags him off already and listens to other fans from bristol and hudds you have got no idea, he might be good he might be s*** but how can you say that if you ant even seen him play yet.... we are oldham in league one not the premiership anymore, think that is one statement i agree with ronnie moore on now "they still think they are in the premier league" spot on RM

get real and f off and support real madrid if you want big signings

welcome to BP jj

bbbbbbbbbbooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shock:

There was hope aplenty when those other managers rode into town. Since when did teams get promoted on the basis of hope?

(I'm not criticising DP in advance, by the way-just pointing out some parallels.)

And you have conveniently chosen those few 'parallels' that suit your limited cynical outlook. I suppose that makes a change fom the gross simplification you usually serve up.

also if people on here actually came back to BP and put money through the gates we cold sign so called better players

we have tried every way of trying to go up of

throwing money at it (chris moore) didnt work

employing from within (john sheridan) didnt work

loan players didnt work (all the time)

simon corny signing own players (byfield windass ormerod ) didnt work

and now we have got a manager who has proven himself by getting so called not good players and getting the best out of them and before he even starts people are slaging the player off and saying he is crap before they have even seen him play

so stop slaging players off and actually get off your arse and get back to BP whoever dosent come anymore and we can have the good times back

rant over :ranting::grin::ranting::grin:

do your own thing DP which you are doing and shut up these moaners up on here :mad:

KTF