moving ground rumour

Hopefully not, being as I support pretty much anyone who plays Scotland. He's meant to hate the English football team, isn't he? There would be something not wired up right with him if he wanted England to win. How does this work out into anything to do with anything? Is it OK to hate Pakis because Andy Murray would rather Paraguay beat England? Is the media to blame?

blimey.....things seem to been taken a little out of context....

the media are to blame for a lot of things that used to happen or be said,but no longer are....

but it does work both ways.....i for one have a strong dislike of those asians that think it is ok to stand on a soap box and denounce the crown,the country and everybody that isnt a muslim....and openly carry placards saying behead non muslims etc etc....at the end of the day they are here in our country,and as such should respect our laws and religions....

but they dont..yet they are happy to make the most of the benefit system,and the legal aid syatem to there own advantages....

it really does make for interesting debate,and probably warrants its own thread....and not turn a thread about the possibility of a ground move into a nato excercise in fire fighting...

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem is that I have seen Delfer get very strident and vehement in his repsonses in general.

I am sceptical that he took genuine offence.

That said, I am more than willing to be proven wrong by Delfer, and I am sorry for my scepticism if he took genuine offence.

Edited by singe

Some hole in Cheshire that everyone thinks is posh. :unsure:

I grew up (only actually lived in Failsworth til about 3) in Royton, and still tend to think of that as home.

real - a crass post? Sorry, wasn't intended to be, reading back it came across a bit wrong.

I definitely think we should change to www.owbt.co.uk ... :grin:

so how can you make a comment about failsworth if you ant grown up there??? :unsure:

ooooooo cheshire arnt you posh :grin:

Boundary change at Oldham

Exclusive by Mike Keegan

July 06, 2009

OLDHAM Athletic could move out of town and will be sold within the next ten years.

Those are just some of the revelations co-owner Simon Corney makes in a frank interview with MEN Sport.

He also admits to making a mistake sacking former boss Ronnie Moore, believes controversial striker Lee Hughes may sign a new contract and says he has 'no idea' where the club will finish this season under new manager Dave Penney.

But it is his readiness to move the 114-year-old club out of the borough that will stun Latics fans.

Corney who, along with business partners Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal, has been at the Oldham helm for six years, says he has been contacted by a neighbouring club - probably Bury or Rochdale - asking him if Athletic fancied sharing their ground.

And he believes a move would make 'financial sense'.

He said: "Of course it's a far from ideal scenario. But it makes you wonder - if it's good enough for Inter Milan and AC Milan to share why can't a Division One and Two club? It makes very good financial sense - you bear the burden together."

But the man who swapped working for the trio's mobile phone business in New York for Ice Station Zebra says groundsharing is just one of a number of options on the table, including redeveloping Boundary Park and building a new home.

He added: "Would I want to go to somebody else's ground? Of course not, because you start to lose your identity. But we are in an unsustainable environment at the moment.

"If a local club said we could build a stadium together and it would be somewhere in the middle I'd do it tomorrow."

Expectations

Corney also revealed the `Three Amigos', as the trio are affectionately known, will not be around forever.

"We won't be doing this for another ten years, there's no question," he said. But he added that they will only sell to the right buyer and believes it is `realistic' for fans to expect that when that time comes the club will be in the Championship playing before crowds of more than 10,000.

He also admits there have been times when he has felt like walking away.

"I never think of packing it in no more than three times a week," he joked. "There have been cold winter's nights when we've been beaten by Yeovil at home and you go back to your hotel and it's pouring with rain and you think: `What on earth am I doing?' But that happens to all chairmen."

Looking back over the six years Corney lists his highs as beating Everton at Goodison Park in front of 5,000 noisy away fans and Manchester City at home in the FA Cup.

His lows were sacking Ronnie Moore: "We gave into fan power and should have given him more time. It cost us lots of money." The trip to the greyhounds fiasco: "You expect your players and manager to do the right thing." And sacking John Sheridan "It was inevitable - we were in freefall'."

Looking forward Corney says he has `never been happier with a manager' than current boss, former brickie Dave Penney, who took over from caretaker Joe Royle earlier this summer.

A summer of change has, so far, seen a host of comings and goings at Boundary Park. Highly-rated former Rangers midfielder Dean Furman and promising ex-Luton goalkeeper Dean Brill are two of the most notable signings.

But one familiar face, former captain Sean Gregan, is back after being released and a move for Hughes, whose contract expired at the end of the month, could be on the cards.

"Hughesy has not been able to find another club and is training with us," Corney added. "Who knows? It's Dave's decision."

Corney revealed that he is `quietly confident' about this year and is relishing the challenge.

"We're in unknown territory this season," he explained. "But Dave is a hard worker.

"One thing for sure is that nobody will be better organised than us."

The biggest university in Europe might be in Manchester but how many of those are actually studying Medicine (or subjects allied to healthcare). The government has taken 60 years to realise that there are people in the North who are just as capable as doing research allied to medicine as those in Oxbridge and London and is spending money (or more accurately saying it is going to spend money) to win political brownie points as a result. Research is probably more easily done in Booth Hall/Pendlebury than it is in a plot of land currently occupied by a football club. Plus how are the NHS going to pay for this fabulous research when its going to be short £15 billion in the next few years. I'll tell you how its not going to pay for it by double spending at Christies' (this is a very sore point for me but I have held my tongue for ages since I know that someone on here works (or did work) in the finance dept. at christie's)

7000 Undergraduate and 2000 Postgraduate and £50 million of research income a year. As for NHS finances being a bit crap, yes I agree wholeheartedly and it's a bit of a sore point for me to. I work in Finance within the higher education sector and I spend a lot of my time on medical/NHS work. I have had quite a bit of success but it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Frank and to the point, just what we like!

If we ended up looking at groundsharing it would put a lot of fans off, mainly due to the identity factor.

And Simon, Ronnie had to be sacked!

Forgot about that jumped up Cheshire League outfit.

As far back as I can remember Wigan were in the Northern Prem and not the Cheshire league. Given I am (cough) now considered long in tooth that's far enough back for anyone!

Whilst I know very little about land currently owned by the NHS left unused, land the NHS purchases or indeed the state of it's finances (other than f***** like every other finances currently, unless your the boss or former boss of RBS). However, I would say lets take Oldham NHS for example. We know for definate that they've entered into an egreement with Latics to pay (x) per year to allow employee's to park on Latics land, yet as pointed out earlier in thread they have considerable land unused. So by that very agreement it cannot be argued that purely because Oldham NHS currently as westhulme going free that they wouldn't covert BP land.

That makes interesting reading, and not all good.

Well I think alot of that is down to opinion

I personally would love to see us prosper out of the borough (as long as we keep the name and it isnt on the scale of MK dons going from wimbledon to milton keynes) than carry on struggling in the borough

Well I think alot of that is down to opinion

I personally would love to see us prosper out of the borough (as long as we keep the name and it isnt on the scale of MK dons going from wimbledon to milton keynes) than carry on struggling in the borough

I would be very concerned about us losing our identity as a club if we moved outside of the borough, despite the problems being in the borough causes.

Sorry to be a BOF but ....

Boundary Park is named because it was right on the extreme edge of the former Oldham Borough. On the boundary , with Chadderton Urban District Council ( for younger readers - in 1974 local government reorganisation created Oldham MBC and abolished the UDCs of Chadderton, Royton, Crompton, Failsworth, Saddleworth). Moving the ground to , for example , somewhere half way between Oldham town centre and Rochdale might still end up with a ground in Oldham , near the boundary again possibly, but still in the "new" borough.

I'd love to see the ground stay where it is but a "boundary park" elsewhere may be a possibility.