HUGHES Signing - NOT

If a player doesn’t want to be at our club then good riddance, you would have thought he may have showed us some loyalty after we gave him the chance to resurrect his football career. I think we do however need to find another striker, one that’s not prone to injury!

If a player doesn’t want to be at our club then good riddance, you would have thought he may have showed us some loyalty after we gave him the chance to resurrect his football career. I think we do however need to find another striker, one that’s not prone to injury!

Come on, he had other offers (apparently).

TTA took the opportunistic moment to get a Championship quality striker at 25% of the going rate.

They valued his loyalty at £1,600 a week until 30th June 2009.

the problem with lee hughes is,good footballer but has pig :censored:e for brains,was given a chance when no one else would touch him,not learnt anything whilst in person,bad egg all round,i blame him for last seasons going ons,see ya,shut the door on your way out.

Definatley the best striker, wouldn't be far off the best player. His quality was a class above this level.

In the last ten years Porter and Wijnhard were both a class above Hughes. Both scored goals and contributed to team play. As a goal scorer Beckett was at least as good Hughes, without the baggage.

To class him above Eyresy, Shez, Murray, Fitz, Lee Grant, Wellens,Taylor is a strange one. He had one very good spell of four months in two seasons at the club. Even Killen managed a similar run of form. Hughesy's record of 51 starts out of 96 possible is pretty similar to Killen too.

Guest sheridans_world

:lol: Porter - Bigfins favourite hat-trick. Off Porter's arse, his elbow and his knee.

I'd compare apples with apples as its unfair to put Hughes and Fitz Hall or Chris Armstrong side by side.

Think we are better off without him, he hardly set the place onfire after christmas did he. At 33 years of age. And struggling to maintain his fitness I doubt he would have got anywhere near 20 goals for us this coming season. Think Big Joe called it right,and DP was trying his hand to get him on a cheap deal.

Porter and Wijnhard? Is that a joke? Best striker latics have had for a long time. His instinctive movement and positioning was so much better than anyone else.

I don't think that's so ridiculous at all. Maybe Hughes at his peak was a cut above, but in his time here he was never near that as was to be expected given his age and time out of the game. Purely on their performances for this club, Porter was just as effective as Hughes if not more so (scored more goals) and probably brought more in terms of overall contribution by his hold up play. Hughes may have a better football brain and is a more natural finisher, but let's not forget he was well past his best with us and missed more than his fair share of sitters (none the less he was still a decent league one striker). With Wijnard we were very unlucky, had he stayed fit he would have scored more than Porter or Hughes and he truly showed that he was unstoppable in this division on his day. One bad injury and he never recovered, but to laugh him off as not even comparable to Hughes in terms of quality is an insult to a player who unfortunately we never got the full benefit of.

As for best player of the last ten years, not even close in my opinion.

Not many score 20 goals a season though, and that's what we want. Hughes and Abbot would have been a real handful in this league. Obviously the club were not willing to repeat the offer made to him in January, which I bet he's now cursing the fact that he didn't sign.

When did Hughes actually score 20 goals a season for us ? Did I miss something ?

Discuss

I don't think that's so ridiculous at all. Maybe Hughes at his peak was a cut above, but in his time here he was never near that as was to be expected given his age and time out of the game. Purely on their performances for this club, Porter was just as effective as Hughes if not more so (scored more goals) and probably brought more in terms of overall contribution by his hold up play. Hughes may have a better football brain and is a more natural finisher, but let's not forget he was well past his best with us and missed more than his fair share of sitters (none the less he was still a decent league one striker). With Wijnard we were very unlucky, had he stayed fit he would have scored more than Porter or Hughes and he truly showed that he was unstoppable in this division on his day. One bad injury and he never recovered, but to laugh him off as not even comparable to Hughes in terms of quality is an insult to a player who unfortunately we never got the full benefit of.

As for best player of the last ten years, not even close in my opinion.

There is something flawed in your argument here. You correctly point out we didn't see Hughes playing at his peak but then say how good Wijnhard was in his day.

Looking at the 3 strikers and what they did at Latics and only at Latics, I have to say Hughesy was a cut above Porter and Wijnhard. He wasn't at his peak but his natural, instinctive play was in my opinion a joy to watch at BP. I never felt the same excitement at watchin Wijnhard or Porter

Now it's official Hughsey isn't signing and we've seen the last of him in a Latics shirt, will all those that vowed not to return to BP until he left, return? Or was it just an excuse to bail?

Good point, I bet they've forgotten...

Good point, I bet they've forgotten...

Indeed. I guess the club and the doom sayers who predicted lost revenue due to signing Mr Hughes will now find the true answer. At least those who were out spoken on his arrival will be very vocal again regarding his departure.

Now it's official Hughsey isn't signing and we've seen the last of him in a Latics shirt, will all those that vowed not to return to BP until he left, return? Or was it just an excuse to bail?

lol..what are you suggesting...we're gonna get bumper crowds again? B)

"thousands flock back to BP as...."