Favourite Ground

Don't get to many away games, but personally, Leeds. I was sat with the Leeds fans last season, it was like a day out at the zoo.

I have to admit. The last two seasons has been great at Leeds.

(walking back to the car/train has not been so much fun*)

*No, actually it has. :grin::grin::grin:

OTHER THAN BOUNDARY PARK FOR THE CLINICALLY INSANE.

Mine is York City.

Standing there as Sean McCarthey scored the winner in a 0-0 draw. I felt like the lord of the park. My type of ground.

LOL i remember that game well i was celebrating that much that i couldn't figure out why the game was restarting with the York Keeper after we had scored.Think a few may have had a laugh at my expense :blush::shy:

I'd like to go back to a packed Halifax, I bet that would be great.

Maine Road - loved that place some wonderful moments supporting the boys, rubbing City's noses in it time and again. Superb sem-finals with the Scum. Only real low-point was the '94 replay.

OTHER THAN BOUNDARY PARK FOR THE CLINICALLY INSANE.

Mine is York City.

Standing there as Sean McCarthey scored the winner in a 0-0 draw. I felt like the lord of the park. My type of ground.

(2nd Goodison. 3rd Chesterfield)

A few of em...

1st - Probably Orient, but that is more for the whole day... cant wait for the first away game of the season, great pubs, :censored:ty area, hilarious flat in the corner of the ground.

2. Walsall. Always had some good memories of this place... great parking (I know random) remember watching Earl Barrett play for england B here the week after we won the league.. and always remember good games here... Beckett scoring there a few seasons back, this year with Brooke etc..

3. Hartlepool - really enjoy it every time I go there... fantastic stewards who let you enjoy being an away fan for one...

I have to say, If I had to pick my worst ground of all time it would actually be Chesterfield. Crap crap crap filled crap hole that deserves to be bulldozed. I dont get how standing in a derilict hole could be enjoyable... give me a small seated stadium with character anyday.... and a roof, and one that doesnt run out of food 20 minutes into the first half....

I loved the ground at Halifax on Thursday. Two of the biggerst terraces left in English football I'd imagine. If it was full (afetr they finish the new stand) it would be an unbeliveable place to watch football.

I love the away end at Peterborough too. A decent following would have that place rocking.

A few of em...

1st - Probably Orient, but that is more for the whole day... cant wait for the first away game of the season, great pubs, :censored:ty area, hilarious flat in the corner of the ground.

2. Walsall. Always had some good memories of this place... great parking (I know random) remember watching Earl Barrett play for england B here the week after we won the league.. and always remember good games here... Beckett scoring there a few seasons back, this year with Brooke etc..

3. Hartlepool - really enjoy it every time I go there... fantastic stewards who let you enjoy being an away fan for one...

I have to say, If I had to pick my worst ground of all time it would actually be Chesterfield. Crap crap crap filled crap hole that deserves to be bulldozed. I dont get how standing in a derilict hole could be enjoyable... give me a small seated stadium with character anyday.... and a roof, and one that doesnt run out of food 20 minutes into the first half....

Anyone who picks Walsall away above Saltergate needs a bloody lobotamy. It's a great old ground. Walsall's is a dull IKEA ground right next to a motorway. And before you go on about the derelict state of the place, Hartlepool is about the same.

Anyone who picks Walsall away above Saltergate needs a bloody lobotamy. It's a great old ground. Walsall's is a dull IKEA ground right next to a motorway. And before you go on about the derelict state of the place, Hartlepool is about the same.

Really? Because last season I seem to remember being in a nice little covered stand with seats, rather than a frigging crumbling concrete bank with foliage keeping my feet warm...

Sorry.. i'm just not one of these people who seem to get all sentimental about absolute crapholes such as saltergate. Dont get me wrong, I also dislike a souless bowl, but give me a small, compact seated ground with a roof to retain the atmosphere anyday.

I dont understand anyone who thinks a good away day is standing in an uncovered terrace... just no chance in hell to create any type of atmosphere... think of the atmosphere at walsall last year and tell me that isnt better than saltergate?

I can see the logic behind picking some old (usually decrepid) grounds above some modern ones. This is why I'm happy that we seemed to be more interested in redeveloping BP as it will retain a good portion of its character but any new ground is quite likely to be a souless bowl.

I'm a fan of Walsall and Scunny for this as although they are both newish stadia (Scunny's is probably about 20 years old now) they aren't that souless.

My top three would probably be (and this seems to change a bit)

1.) Hartlepool (character, decent location- especially for me when I'm in Durham- and the stewards let you behave like human beings).

2.) Walsall- has a bit of character, great location with good road and rail access.

3.) Hillsbrough- very good ground which despite its tragedy hasn't lost that much of its character.

I'm looking forward to the Brentford as I think I might like that (but then again it could be a dump).

I always loved Highbury. A 'proper' ground nestled between working class houses. It had a beautiful facade and four huge stands close to the pitch.

Also, it was one of the first to install big screen playbacks at half time, and had a great fast food bar. I made sure i never missed an away game there.

Saltergate as a favorite ground? are you having a laugh? the pathetic second half performance there a few years ago springs to mind, in the crappy uncovered away end, when it was tipping down.

the QPR play off game was superb for the atmosphere. I remember a tics fan with blood all other his face after a QPR moron threw something in our end.

i also liked the trips to Plymouth, decent ground and decent atmosphere and we drew 2-2 the last times we played there (i think)

the dell when we drew 2-2 in the littlewoods cup was a special night in a packed out ground, the atmosphere from the latics fans was excellent followed by

goodison park for a night match under the floodlights in the 90s. quality.

Saltergate as a favorite ground? are you having a laugh? the pathetic second half performance there a few years ago springs to mind, in the crappy uncovered away end, when it was tipping down.

I remember it fondly. Happy days. :grin:

Keeping up to speed with the 92InBlue folks' progress has reminded me of some cracking Midlands grounds: Molineux and The Hawthorns. Never been to Villa Park, sadly. St. Andrews is alright. Meadow Lane will stick in the memory because of Super Sean McCarthy's hat-trick there.

always had a soft spot for villa -villa park was the first ground i went to not involving latics in '76.

villa 1 wolves 0

really edgy derby atmosphere,was in the old holte end about 20 step up from the front behind goal,(i was 9 at the time)and remember turning around and looking back-it was rammed (remember,it was standing then) and i couldn't see the back,it just seemed to go forever.

then when latics last visited,we where in the stand opposite the main stand (xmas/new year period?) all wooden stand and the latics fans made their noise stamping on the floor.

My favorite away ground is Hillsborough. Really big, impressive stadium which has still got character. A real shame what happened there.

Also really thought Goodison was a brilliant old fashioned football ground. It will be a shame when Everton leave that place.

Loftus Road is a great little stadium. Amazing atmosphere can be generated in that place.

In the lower divisions, really like Meadow Lane.

So many to choose from.

For the whole experience (day/night out, matchday experience, journey etc) then I'd say Notts County, Hartlepool, Bornemouth. I agree with the previous comments about Hartlepool having the best stewards, they also have amazingly cheap beer compared to the rest of the football league.

For quality grounds Goodison Park and Villa Park stand out a mile. Watched Latics twice at GP (once with Junior Latics all those years ago, the other the FA Cup win, what a sweet day) and although I've never had the pleasure of watching Latics at Villa Park, I did watch England there against Portugal and sat in the Holte End, now that is a proper football stand, some good boozers around the ground as well.

For fancy-dan stadiums, its the New Wembley and Old Trafford (I hate myself, but then again I was there when Becks scored 'that' free kick so...)

Worse grounds include Wigan's old ground (Springfield Park?), Derby's old ground (Baseball Park), Blackburn Rovers, oh and the absoloute worst ever........ the old Webley, crap views (3 x England game and Latics FA Cup semi final) and lots of heartach both on and off the pitch (Southgate missed pen, Latics drawing with the scum and nightmare traffic on the way home).