The clubs official statement...

Yes-but, as I keep saying, our's won't be. Can't you see that this is a settlement for permanent lower division football?

Corp you are just chattin pure bollocks now. You dont know that you're just making things up. HDGS has ripped ur arguments to shreds so give it a rest

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suddenly we have someone willing to buy the land... Begs the question why cant we redevelop BP.... If we are going to have a smaller ambitions, why not have those smaller ambitions at BP...

I bet Hewitt is scribbling out his letter right now.

"I know I have previously had grievances with the club but.....

A very sensible question I asked at the start of this discussion...

Suddenly we have someone willing to buy the land... Begs the question why cant we redevelop BP.... If we are going to have a smaller ambitions, why not have those smaller ambitions at BP...

How much would a new main stand with conference facilities and a gym cost for example...

:censored: loads of issues surrounding this outside of the size of the stadium....

Been wondering this myself!

I think were all getting ahead of ourselves,

before we can build to compete with the big boys we need to make ourselves stable, which is what TTA are attempting to do with this proposal

from this base we can then set our sights on bigger and etter in the future

people seem to be thinking we can go straight to prem big boys from league 1 but its just not the case,

maybe after we got ourselves sorted financially first we could begin to expand

But they never will be, that's the point. They'll never be expanded beyond 10,000.

Isn't it ironic that the very person accusing the club of having no ambition patently would not know ambition if it took a run up and kicked him in the spuds.

I bet Col U and Salop are glad you're not on either of their boards.

Woof.

Yes-but, as I keep saying, our's won't be. Can't you see that this is a settlement for permanent lower division football?

Can you be more specific about the mechanics of how a smaller ground will hinder progress? Do you think it will subconsciously affect the players? It didn’t for Blackpool playing in that old dump. Do you think that the owners will reflect on the £8m they SAVED by not building big and decide to spend less on wages as well? Should we get promoted will they look at Boro and Leicester and suffer some sort of penis envy and not feel able to approach better players to sign for us or add a tier to one of the stands? I just don’t follow the logic. It seems to be you who is looking for reasons to believe that we can’t ever progress, not the owners or us happy clappers.

Still no answer for where the £8 mill is coming from then to justify your lack of ambition comment? In terms of me knowing your both right and wrong. As the club haven't yet stated then officially I don't know, but my profession gives me the experience to work it out to a relatively fairly accurate degree based on the information that has been put out both in the statement last night and previous statements from the club/owners.

The statement last night said that architects will now be appointed to draw up the scheme. So when those plans are available (which again according to the statement should allow the planning committee to make a decision before the end of 2009) we will see what the proposals are to produce the additional income streams.

Sorry, Corp, where exactly are Bournemouth, Darlington, Northampton, Shrewsbury, Southampton, Millwall, Huddersfield, Coventry and even Middlesboro (all right I'll give you Boro) and then theres Oxford. Well Darlo & Bournemouth have been in Administration twice, Northampton have never gone anywhere, Shresbury is still in its infancy, Southampton have been relegated twice, Millwall are back where they started, in fact might even be a division lower, Huddersfield are no better off, neither are Coventry, who in fact because their stadium plan was over ambitious ended up in Admin. And as I said then there's Oxford. Relegated out of the league.

So I'm afraid that for every Bolton and Derby you refer to there is a Darlington or Oxford or Southampton etc etc.

Cheers,

Harry

So you can bandy around figures all you like, pretending that you're in the know while simultaneously admitting that you don't know any more than the rest of us, but all the while maintaining your self-appointed role as Guardian of the Faith? Personally, I'd changed your title to Chief Obfuscator.

Don't know what you're getting at reeling off a whole load of clubs in widely differing circumstances. Some of them are little clubs that built little grounds and stayed where they were, or continued to decline as a result. Others are clubs that over-reached themselvs. Far from suggesteed we ought to emulate either type of club, I've questioned why we can't be more like Bolton, Preston or Burnley-clubs from similar towns to Oldham who managed to leave us standing.

I think because of the problems with the area, negihbours, the bad design of the stadium they cant do much their,

this new site offers plenty of space and a lot more opportunities to raise money for the club

Not trying to be arsey, i thought we had planning premission for all this now? i thought these problems were things of the past and also if its a bad design of the stadium should this not have been considered before the initial plans to redevelop BP were drawn up? i understand you may not be able to directly answer that as i imagine that would be what the TTA would be better for doing that

Corp you are just chattin pure bollocks now. You dont know that you're just making things up. HDGS has ripped ur arguments to shreds so give it a rest

Examine what Harry has siad-in essence it's nothing at all.

I am not making anything up but speculating on the likely outcome of the only facts we know so far. You know-that thing that usually results in me being right somewhere down the line?

Examine what Harry has siad-in essence it's nothing at all.

I am not making anything up but speculating on the likely outcome of the only facts we know so far. You know-that thing that usually results in me being right somewhere down the line?

Heh. bookmarked.

Guest sheridans_world
Why can we afford a new stadium but not afford to redevelop BP?

It sounds like the owners have worked more closley with the council this time and a more sustainable plan has been agreed upon, benefitting both parties. The council are even investing in the project, something which was totally off the cards previously.

Can you be more specific about the mechanics of how a smaller ground will hinder progress? Do you think it will subconsciously affect the players? It didn’t for Blackpool playing in that old dump. Do you think that the owners will reflect on the £8m they SAVED by not building big and decide to spend less on wages as well? Should we get promoted will they look at Boro and Leicester and suffer some sort of penis envy and not feel able to approach better players to sign for us or add a tier to one of the stands? I just don’t follow the logic. It seems to be you who is looking for reasons to believe that we can’t ever progress, not the owners or us happy clappers.

I've already done that by comparing the fortunes of little clubs who built little grounds with those who built grounds reflecting their ambitions. Yes, as Harry points out, there are exceptions among the latter, but surely you don't seek to learn from and emulate the failures but the successes?

We appear to be emulating the clubs who build compact new stadiums, reflecting where they are at the time, and stay there as a result.

Far from suggesteed we ought to emulate either type of club, I've questioned why we can't be more like Bolton, Preston or Burnley-clubs from similar towns to Oldham who managed to leave us standing.

Similar towns to Oldham yes ..... similar in terms of football history? No. We've never been on the same page even in the days when we had managed to overtake Burnley / Preston in terms of league position.

I've already done that by comparing the fortunes of little clubs who built little grounds with those who built grounds reflecting their ambitions. Yes, as Harry points out, there are exceptions among the latter, but surely you don't seek to learn from and emulate the failures but the successes?

We appear to be emulating the clubs who build compact new stadiums, reflecting where they are at the time, and stay there as a result.

For the fourth time , what size ground would you see as demonstrating ambition? put up or shut up.

Why can we afford a new stadium but not afford to redevelop BP?

because the money that would have been generated from the proposed plans for the site has dropped dramatically due to the credit crunch and now won't cover the cost of the planned redevelopment of BP.

whereas selling BP will generate enough money to cover these new lower cost plans.

i'd imagine (???)

That doesn't even attempt to answer my question. You can show a club who built big, I'll show you one that went the other way, and we have proved nothing. I want you to show me the causal link that will lead from us constructing a smaller stadium that can be increased to a lack of future success, when it seems to me to be the other way around, as this plan is achievable and will financially benefit the club.

Has anybody noticed a pattern to all this, by the way? Each time the club's ambitions are downscaled they're accepted as the best we can possibly hope for.

If the current proposal comes to nothing, what will happpen when another plan is launched somewhere down the line for another stadium with a 7500 capacity? Will the increasingly cowed and tremulous hardcore be justfying that as 'realistic, seein as gates are down to 3,100?'

On the other hand we have

Bradford

Leicester

Southampton

Coventry

Charlton

Hudds

Derby

All have had great sucess from investing in Big stadiums