Just shows how much Big Joe knows eh ?.....

Guest FyldeBlue

Guest FyldeBlue

Give Gregan a new contract straight away !.

The question is who is the expert here ?.....quite clearly Gregan would never get any improvement with his pace... or should I have said ...total lack of it !... his age is against him and in my honest opinion I don't think he can cope with anyone with any pace against him, this unfortunately was very obvious for the whole of last season and part of the previous one.... when he was Red carded just about summed it up really.

However let's all hope he proves Big Joe right and Dave Penney right for believing in him, and the rest of us totally useless "no nowts" by having one of his best seasons ?... :disappointed: did I actually type that ?

The question is who is the expert here ?.....quite clearly Gregan would never get any improvement with his pace... or should I have said ...total lack of it !... his age is against him and in my honest opinion I don't think he can cope with anyone with any pace against him, this unfortunately was very obvious for the whole of last season and part of the previous one.... when he was Red carded just about summed it up really.

However let's all hope he proves Big Joe right and Dave Penney right for believing in him, and the rest of us totally useless "no nowts" by having one of his best seasons ?... :disappointed: did I actually type that ?

Not all of us by a long way.

Royle and Penney are paid for their judgement, I think I'd rather trust their judgement over some of the posters on here, who quite rightly will never be paid for their opinions or judgement.

Managers get to see these players day in day out and are more likely to make more rational judgements based on what they see in both training and the matches. A lot of fans tend to just make irrational sweeping statements based on very little. Of course this isnt to say managers dont get things wrong. If Big Joe things Gregan deserves a contract I will trust his judgement.

so you wouldn't have kept the only player we had that came out of the last 10 or so games of last season with any credit?

Managers get to see these players day in day out and are more likely to make more rational judgements based on what they see in both training and the matches. A lot of fans tend to just make irrational sweeping statements based on very little. Of course this isnt to say managers dont get things wrong. If Big Joe things Gregan deserves a contract I will trust his judgement.

im in 2 minds over gregan at the mo, on his day he is an assett to to the club but most of the time doesnt show it,

most fans make their judgement on the end product, its all good being a world class player in training but if your not producing the goods on the pitch what good is it to anyone?

you dont win matches and gain points by being good in training, you have to have the end result

So if we didn't re-sign Gregan who would our CB pairing be? Just Rubes on his own?

most fans make their judgement on the end product, its all good being a world class player in training but if your not producing the goods on the pitch what good is it to anyone?

you dont win matches and gain points by being good in training, you have to have the end result

Correct, as many a racehorse trainer will endorse

Many fans I know are more educated in the game than some top flight managers and coaches, I can tell you that from experience.

Yes, but for every one of those there's ten thousand who are so stupid they have to wear a replica shirt to remember which team they support.

The really scary thing is that those intelligent enough to use the internet and find their way to OWTB are probably in the top 20% or so of fans overall... :unsure:

On balance, I'll go with the assessments of Royle and Penney over any fans, this and every other time, ta very much.

Joe thought Wolfendon was a good player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but for every one of those there's ten thousand who are so stupid they have to wear a replica shirt to remember which team they support.

The really scary thing is that those intelligent enough to use the internet and find their way to OWTB are probably in the top 20% or so of fans overall... :unsure:

On balance, I'll go with the assessments of Royle and Penney over any fans, this and every other time, ta very much.

Agreed, that just about sums up my thoughts on the issue.

:lol:

An amusing yet bewildering aspect of this big hoo-hah for 2 new centre-halves is that the existing pairing came 1st and 2nd in last seasons OWTB Player of the Season awards....

:unsure:

Too many people expect Gregan to BE the defence. He may not be the best centre half in the division but alongside a few more half decent defenders with pace, he's more than worth his place in the side. Trouble is....where are those 'other' half decent defenders with pace? This is where you have to get real.....this is the third tier of English football and for two years the press have been raving about the likes of Eardley.....now if Eardley is worth half of the plaudits he's received in the last couple of seasons.....Gregan is good for another five years!

An amusing yet bewildering aspect of this big hoo-hah for 2 new centre-halves is that the existing pairing came 1st and 2nd in last seasons OWTB Player of the Season awards....

:unsure:

":unsure:" indeed.

People worry me greatly.

Yeah, that's right - just goes to show that the guy who got Latics into the top flight and kept them there for three years, as well as a cup final and a couple of FA Cup semis, (not to mention what he did elsewhere), has got nothing on you.

Yeah, that's right - just goes to show that the guy who got Latics into the top flight and kept them there for three years, as well as a cup final and a couple of FA Cup semis, (not to mention what he did elsewhere), has got nothing on you.

As much as I thought JR was a brilliant manager (second only to the mighty Frizzell), his decision making regarding choice of players is still open to scrutiny. I am fully aware that Joe had more successes than failures in the transfer market but don't forget Joe brought in Kilcline once we were promoted and let go Redfearn to highlight a couple of mistakes. So he is not infallible!!!

Show me a manager with 100% perfect judgement ?

Big Joe made some right clangers during his managerial career and will no doubt continue to make mistakes. The difference between Joe and people like us is the error percentage. Looking at Big Joes record through his career would suggest he got it right a hell of a lot more than he got it wrong.

There is a reason why he gets/got paid to do what he does and we dont.

Wozz.

it's irrelevant what happens in training, it's the matches what count and we see exactly the same game as the manager.

I don't need to be a mechanic to know if my car is driving like a bag of sh*t, I get someone to sort it out to make it run right. In this case DP is the mechanic and Gregan is an old exhaust bought from the scrapyard.!!!

Wozz.

it's irrelevant what happens in training, it's the matches what count and we see exactly the same game as the manager.

I don't need to be a mechanic to know if my car is driving like a bag of sh*t, I get someone to sort it out to make it run right. In this case DP is the mechanic and Gregan is an old exhaust bought from the scrapyard.!!!

Might be worth talking about this after the first few games of the season... When Gregan did not play last year we really missed him.

Edited by oafc0000

Might be worth talking about this after the first few games of the season... When Gregan did not play last year we really missed him.

Your opinion and one you are entitled to hold along with many others.

I take the opposite view along with a number of others.

If he surprises me and plays well, I won't be hiding and I'll stand up to take my arse-kicking but I hope that if he plays badly that fact will get acknowledged by his supporters.

If he surprises me and plays well, I won't be hiding and I'll stand up to take my arse-kicking but I hope that if he plays badly that fact will get acknowledged by his supporters.

I'll give you that - you were happy to give Liddell credit when he started last season well. That said, if Greegs is rubbish I'll be defending him to the hilt, providing he keeps the strut. :wub: