Name change - Oldham Borough? Oldham Villa? Oldham United?

Can I ask where the story about a change of name first originated? It keeps re-appearing and somebody mentioned that something had been said about it before the pre-season game at Hyde. Did it ever come from a credible source or is it just another case of chinese whispers?

Yep, I poo-pooed it at first. Credible source. As I say, hopefully it's buried beneath the deepest 60 acre toxic brownfield site in Oldham now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I poo-pooed it at first. Credible source. As I say, hopefully it's buried beneath the deepest 60 acre toxic brownfield site in Oldham now.

Is it not known if it has actually been buried? this is quite worrying, as like BB80 said before, it could still happen in the future.

Hopefully as you said before, the person who first mooted it would be brave enough to admit they said it and that it was just pie in the sky!!

Edited by Oafc88

Is it not known if it has actually been buried? this is quite worrying, as like BB80 said before, it could still happen in the future.

Hopefully as you said before, the person who first mooted it would be brave enough to admit they said it and that it was just pie in the sky!!

It's one of those things that makes you wish we had a fan in the Boardroom, both representing the views of the fans and giving feedback about the deliberations he is party to. We can but dream.

Well it's like it or lump it where moving to Failsworths concerned...once in the ground, that's where the fear factor PR machine (better known as Simon Corney) begins again! Fans will again be ushered, sheeplike, into believing "it's the best for the club" etc. and gradual acceptance will seep through. If it's not TTA, it'll be the new owners doing this......and if you don't like it...well...you through the gate doesn't even cover the running costs anyway...supposedly the 365-days a year revenue streams (which I'm sceptical will be successful) will do...so see ya later if ya don't like it!

Tell me it can't happen...and I'll point to a very naive fool...

I think, unfortunately, that you are right on this one Ross. As detailed elsewhere, it's not the moving that concerns me (or the size of stadium truth be told), plenty of clubs have done it, it's where we are moving to that worries me greatly.

But trust me on this, if they change the name of MY club, I will never EVER watch them again.

Ok before I go anywhere with this - I am fully against any name change and only indulging in what I am certain has to be a thread to pass the time rather than anything of real merit.

I always have had a liking for unique prefixes or suffixes, it means that you get instant recognition and a sense of being special - if you support a United or a City or a Rovers etc then unless in your local area this is not sufficient to identify your team. Whereas if you support Palace, Stanley etc. it needs nothing further.

If we were to change our name, I'd want a truely individual prefix or suffix.

While of course its their right, I think its pretty pathetic for people to say they would stop following the club if they changed the name. Many clubs have changed or altered their club name over the years and to me its not a problem as longs as Oldham is the prefix.

Maybe as a mark of respect to Failsworth we should become Oldham Dynamo? ....But then maybe not. :blink:

My car number plate (OL04HAM) wont be affected. I dont care if they are called Inter Real Oldham and Failworth Dynamo Athletic North End. I know they are my Athletic and, whatever is decided, I will continue lemming like to follow the blues

Hmmm as Failwoth is just as you have just come into Oldham then maybe thats it!!!! :shock: INTER OLDHAM

While of course its their right, I think its pretty pathetic for people to say they would stop following the club if they changed the name. Many clubs have changed or altered their club name over the years and to me its not a problem as longs as Oldham is the prefix.

Example? I cant think of any in recent history who have changed their name except Wimbledon to MK Dons?

(PS: This isnt a snipe of any kind, am just struggling to think of clubs who have changed their names in recent history and cant find any examples other than MK)

Maybe as a mark of respect to Failsworth we should become Oldham Dynamo? ....But then maybe not. :blink:

My car number plate (OL04HAM) wont be affected. I dont care if they are called Inter Real Oldham and Failworth Dynamo Athletic North End. I know they are my Athletic and, whatever is decided, I will continue lemming like to follow the blues

Hmmm as Failwoth is just as you have just come into Oldham then maybe thats it!!!! :shock: INTER OLDHAM

think most people would prefer,"outer oldham"

Oldham Yard Dogs

Liking it, geezer. Top drawer.

Nah seriously, the only reason we'd change our name would be to get rid of the 'Oldham' - changing the 'Athletic' bit wouldn't do anything - but if they removed 'Oldham' from our name I think the powers that be know many of us walk away...I certainly would....surely to god the directors would not give much time to such an idea....