6 BF ~ Los Angeles Kings

7 JSS ~ San Jose Sharks

8 Ack ~ Vancouver Canucks

I have to be honest - I'd rather JSS won! :lol:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hall of fame is awesome, make sure you check out the Storm jersey in the European section!! Only British team represented! :D

I can't think of anything I did there which was unusual or obscure... just the usual tourist-trap stuff... If I do I'll let you know.

Oops never replied to this...will keep an eye out for that jersey. Aside from Niagara and the Hall of Fame there's no particular highlight I'm looking forward to...by all accounts it's a really nice city so will probably just be pottering about enjoying it and following whatever looks good in the guidebook.

May see if it's possible to tour the Air Canada Centre, look at the Leafs dressing rooms etc but wouldn't have thought that possible. From a google search it also seems the old Maple Leaf Gardens isn't being well maintained and just left in disuse except for periodic events so probably nothing Maple Leaf-wise worth seeing. Oh well, that pipe dream of them making the playoffs and catching a game there really was far-fetched in the first place...

Oops never replied to this...will keep an eye out for that jersey. Aside from Niagara and the Hall of Fame there's no particular highlight I'm looking forward to...by all accounts it's a really nice city so will probably just be pottering about enjoying it and following whatever looks good in the guidebook.

May see if it's possible to tour the Air Canada Centre, look at the Leafs dressing rooms etc but wouldn't have thought that possible. From a google search it also seems the old Maple Leaf Gardens isn't being well maintained and just left in disuse except for periodic events so probably nothing Maple Leaf-wise worth seeing. Oh well, that pipe dream of them making the playoffs and catching a game there really was far-fetched in the first place...

Tried to get into the Air Canada centre but couldn't... even with the tried and tested OTT British Accent technique. I actually stayed in a hotel no more than 10 seconds walk from the old Gardens. It is getting really, really shabby these days. I asked at a deli over the street and they said that it's still in use for bits and pieces but plans to make it into a Mall (sounded very innovative) fell through and nothings happened since then.

I'd make sure you go up the CN Tower (here) as the views are great. When I went you can get a 'day and night' ticket which let you go up twice which was cool as the views in the day are good for seeing the city and then at night because they're cool.

But then I have issues with tall buildings, as I've been up most of them and would give almost anything for the chance to get up this.

Tried to get into the Air Canada centre but couldn't... even with the tried and tested OTT British Accent technique. I actually stayed in a hotel no more than 10 seconds walk from the old Gardens. It is getting really, really shabby these days. I asked at a deli over the street and they said that it's still in use for bits and pieces but plans to make it into a Mall (sounded very innovative) fell through and nothings happened since then.

I'd make sure you go up the CN Tower (here) as the views are great. When I went you can get a 'day and night' ticket which let you go up twice which was cool as the views in the day are good for seeing the city and then at night because they're cool.

Hmm, that's the impression I got from the google search...shame from a tourist sense but must be even more of a shame for Leafs fans. I'll try for ACC, worth a shot, anyway.

CN Tower of course, forgot that one.

But then I have issues with tall buildings, as I've been up most of them and would give almost anything for the chance to get up this.

Surprised by that link, I fully expected a picture of that Pole again. :wink:

Niagra Falls was such a big let down it wasn't funny. It's the sort of place you get bored with in half a day (seriously I was tempted to leave after 5 minutes). Even a non Ice Hockey fan like myself found the ice Hockey hall of fame interesting so hockey nuts must love it- admittedly I did nearly destroy the Stanley Cup (or the replica of). If you like wine try and see the ice wine fields (its good stuff), I think the brewery was a cheap place to get drunk (go on a tour and get free samplings) but I was doing something else- watching the local CFL team (which is something reasonably good to do)- very soon after so it might not be the case. I did quite like the island but I bet that was mainly down to how nice the weather was.

Had a bet on the Kings to take the series at 21/10, so i hope the Cannucks lose :tongue1:

Also on

OTT Senators @ 12/5

SJ Sharks @ 2/9

WAS Capitals @ 1/6

BUF Sabres @ 20/33

LA Kings @ 21/10

fourfolds/fivefold.

Also did some correct score series betting but as you can tell its gone tits up with the two #1 seeds already.

OTT Senators to win 4-2 @ 15/2

NJ Devils to win 4-1 @ 10/3

PHX Coyotes to win 4-2 @ 8/1

SJ Sharks to win 4-0 @ 9/2

BUF Sabres to win 4-2 @ 9/2

WAS Capitals to win 4-0 @ 7/2

LA Kings to win 4-2 @ 6/1

fix

1 out of 12 ain't bad.

Niagra Falls was such a big let down it wasn't funny. It's the sort of place you get bored with in half a day (seriously I was tempted to leave after 5 minutes). Even a non Ice Hockey fan like myself found the ice Hockey hall of fame interesting so hockey nuts must love it- admittedly I did nearly destroy the Stanley Cup (or the replica of). If you like wine try and see the ice wine fields (its good stuff), I think the brewery was a cheap place to get drunk (go on a tour and get free samplings) but I was doing something else- watching the local CFL team (which is something reasonably good to do)- very soon after so it might not be the case. I did quite like the island but I bet that was mainly down to how nice the weather was.

Thanks for the tips.

Re: the Cup, when did you go? As far as I'm aware there are three cups...there is the original Cup (which is locked away as some sort of valuable and never taken out). There is the presentation Cup, which is the Stanley Cup you see in my photo below, i.e. the one presented to the winners. Then there's the replica which is kept in the Hall of Fame when the presentation Cup is in use...i.e. when it is presented to the Stanley Cup champions or in the couple of months following the Stanley Cup final when the winning team is allowed to keep it and have a day each with it. Provided you didn't go between the end of May and August the odds are you almost destroyed the real Cup.

Just watched Ovechkin's interview from last night. Even better than last year. :grin:

Edited by jsslatic

Second Round matchups - got to admit there's names I didn't expect here. Also, JSS somehow managed to bag 4 winners!!

EAST

JSS ~ Pittsburgh Penguins

JSS ~ Montreal Canadiens

DR ~ Boston Bruins

DR ~ Philadelphia Flyers

WEST

Ack ~ Vancouver Canucks

DR ~ Detroit Red Wings

JSS ~ San Jose Sharks

JSS ~ Chicago Blackhawks

Thanks for the tips.

Re: the Cup, when did you go? As far as I'm aware there are three cups...there is the original Cup (which is locked away as some sort of valuable and never taken out). There is the presentation Cup, which is the Stanley Cup you see in my photo below, i.e. the one presented to the winners. Then there's the replica which is kept in the Hall of Fame when the presentation Cup is in use...i.e. when it is presented to the Stanley Cup champions or in the couple of months following the Stanley Cup final when the winning team is allowed to keep it and have a day each with it. Provided you didn't go between the end of May and August the odds are you almost destroyed the real Cup.

Just watched Ovechkin's interview from last night. Even better than last year. :grin:

I can't quite remember exactly when it was but it was probably the end of July or very early August- I was fairly confident I didn't nearly destroy (well knock over- I scratched it and it wobbled) something uber valuable as they let me get near it with my bag and camera.

I can't quite remember exactly when it was but it was probably the end of July or very early August- I was fairly confident I didn't nearly destroy (well knock over- I scratched it and it wobbled) something uber valuable as they let me get near it with my bag and camera.

I was there later in the year, some time around November/December and it was under guard and you were strictly allowed to stand behind it but not touch it... I also saw it when it was in London for the NHL Premier game that me and Ragg went to.

Second Round matchups - got to admit there's names I didn't expect here.

The East has been (wonderfully) ridiculous. It's opened up for the Pens beautifully...though if Halak plays as he did vs Washington then they'll be pretty much unbeatable!

All four remaining Western teams ended up with more regular season points than the remaining Eastern ones...and a little stat I worked out for myself: the total number of points accrued by the remaining Western teams was 62 more than the East, the exact number of points the Oilers picked up all season. Pointless but (marginally) interesting.

I was there later in the year, some time around November/December and it was under guard and you were strictly allowed to stand behind it but not touch it... I also saw it when it was in London for the NHL Premier game that me and Ragg went to.

Yeah that's different to what it was like when I was there- security guard who looked out runnable and bloke with a camera who was taking professional quality photos but you could still take your own.

Second Round matchups - got to admit there's names I didn't expect here. Also, JSS somehow managed to bag 4 winners!!

EAST

JSS ~ Montreal Canadiens

DR ~ Boston Bruins

DR ~ Philadelphia Flyers

WEST

Ack ~ Vancouver Canucks

DR ~ Detroit Red Wings

JSS ~ San Jose Sharks

JSS ~ Chicago Blackhawks

2 of my teams play each other...cool. Seriously though.... if anyone wants the Flyers, they are yours.

EAST

JSS ~ Montreal Canadiens

DR ~ Boston Bruins

DR ~ Philadelphia Flyers

WEST

Ack ~ Vancouver Canucks

DR ~ Detroit Red Wings

JSS ~ San Jose Sharks

JSS ~ Chicago Blackhawks

Anyone want to trade? :lol:

All four remaining Western teams ended up with more regular season points than the remaining Eastern ones...and a little stat I worked out for myself: the total number of points accrued by the remaining Western teams was 62 more than the East, the exact number of points the Oilers picked up all season. Pointless but (marginally) interesting.

So the West is an oilers better than the east eh? Not sure that is much of a compliment!

Ohhhhhohohoho, that was FUN!

Really helps exorcise any of last year's remaining demons too.

Chicago will be a lot better on monday, we have to be ready for that.

Edited by Simpo

Niagra Falls was such a big let down it wasn't funny. It's the sort of place you get bored with in half a day (seriously I was tempted to leave after 5 minutes).

You're having a laugh?! Niagara was flipping brilliant.

Anyway, onto the hockey side of things. Canada rocks. Regardless of how friendly everyone is and how spacious it was (though that may just be Toronto), how great for there to be blanket coverage of hockey everywhere you go...TV, newspapers, people talking in the street...the place is just hockey nuts. Even when I went to see the Blue Jays play in the baseball on Saturday, people spent a lot of time talking about the Pens/Habs. It was great just being able to sit in a bar in an evening and catch a game rather than squinting over a dodgy feed on my laptop at a ridiculous hour. My kind of country.

Hall of Fame. Brilliant. Had to go round it twice because missed so much stuff the first time. Sadly there is no Storm jersey there anymore - the world section is devoted entirely to international competition and the rest is all NHL (with some minor league thrown in). There was however a database of European hockey...I'll let you make your own mind up as to just how out of date it is:

033rx.th.jpg

There was one GB jersey there though, Steve Thornton's:

031ir.th.jpg

Speaking of jerseys, I don't remember ever seeing this one before and had to take a photo. I couldn't work out if it was the best or worst I've ever seen, I'm sure BF has an opinion...

035mmb.th.jpg

I tried to get into the ACC but to no avail. I could see the seats, I was fifteen yards away from the inside of the arena and a security guard walked past. He unlocked the door to talk to me but wouldn't let me just nip in to have a look. Despite my protestations that I was a huge Leafs fan who had travelled all the way over from the UK just to see it, he wasn't having any of it. Shame. Yesterday I made my way up to Maple Leaf Gardens just to have a photo taken outside, well aware the building was in disuse. I was pretty happy then when I was walking away after my snap that one of the doors had been left open whilst the renovations are taking place so I got a look at it whilst it's being gutted out...

025cs.th.jpg

A lot smaller than I imagined, must have been great to watch hockey in there.

And a little competition, name the NHL legend and surely future Hall of Famer unconsciously snapped in this photograph...

If I say he got by far the biggest cheer of the day (regardless of anything that happened in the baseball) when he came up on the big screen, it may show in just how much esteem he is held in Toronto and push you towards the right answer...if you can spot him too I'll be very very impressed...

045er.th.jpg

Other one still not working properly for me, so here's the link to the photo with the mystery Toronto legend in too.

Spotted

Cheers Ackey for putting the others in.

Wasn't sure if that last one was the right one or not. Added it in for you now.

I have no idea who it might be.

So, what did you think of Toronto? Go up the tower? Have a look 'round the trainstation (I loved that building). Have a Tim Hortons?