What a silly idea, sure he was a brilliant player but not exactly an Oldham legend like Ritchie, Palmer etc.

I would say to fans of a certain age that never got to see Ritchie, Palmer etc.... in their prime that Eyres is most certainly a legend. Dont agree we should retire the No.28 shirt though.

I would say to fans of a certain age that never got to see Ritchie, Palmer etc.... in their prime that Eyres is most certainly a legend. Dont agree we should retire the No.28 shirt though.

I nver got to see them, Eyres has to be my faveourite Latics player of my time watching us but i wouldnt retire a shirt for him.

is mark allot a legend?- more games and more goals

eyres was a good player for us but a legend...not IMO

No, but that isn't how you become a legend is it? David Miskelly was at the club for years but nobody would consider him a legend either because he was woeful. 'Legends' are generally very good or very committed players (still with their fair share of ability) who become fans favourites during their time. Allott was hated by many in his first spell here and when he came back it was only for 2 seasons. A steady/good 2 seasons but it wasn't long enough or good enough to make him a club legend. Eyres was consistently our best or very close to our best player for years and all at the age of 36+!!!! He scored great goals and set up plenty and his style on the pitch made him stand out above the rest despite his age. Every season we seemed to think it would be his last and yet everytime he came back and managed to turn in consistent performances of real quality. He also had a real bond with the fans, which is one of my fondest memories of sitting in the old Lookers stand. Seriously, how dull do you think our long standing stay in League One would have been without David Eyres? Just because he never got to win anything with the club doesn't count for anything in my opinion, he was at the club during a period of disaster for the most part and he was most definitely a shining light amongst the rest of the dross.

No, but that isn't how you become a legend is it? David Miskelly was at the club for years but nobody would consider him a legend either because he was woeful. 'Legends' are generally very good or very committed players (still with their fair share of ability) who become fans favourites during their time. Allott was hated by many in his first spell here and when he came back it was only for 2 seasons. A steady/good 2 seasons but it wasn't long enough or good enough to make him a club legend. Eyres was consistently our best or very close to our best player for years and all at the age of 36+!!!! He scored great goals and set up plenty and his style on the pitch made him stand out above the rest despite his age. Every season we seemed to think it would be his last and yet everytime he came back and managed to turn in consistent performances of real quality. He also had a real bond with the fans, which is one of my fondest memories of sitting in the old Lookers stand. Seriously, how dull do you think our long standing stay in League One would have been without David Eyres? Just because he never got to win anything with the club doesn't count for anything in my opinion, he was at the club during a period of disaster for the most part and he was most definitely a shining light amongst the rest of the dross.

Agree 100%

Agree that Eyres was something special - as much for his attitude as his ability - but I don't agreeing with retiring shirts full stop. Usually a pointless gimmick that means nothing in the history of the club. Give it long enough and you'd probably have to retire every shirt.

(I can just about see it in the event of tragedy, admittedly - but even that would be a stretch for me.)

Thought they should have retired this shirt.

Hope the young winger (Colburn) can live up to the majestic aura surrounding it.

1. No they shouldn't retire his shirt. Good player but if we retired every shirt from every good player, then we'd have no numbers left available!

2. Who the bloody hell is Colburn??

Rifle Range,17th oct(saints home).Evening with David Eyres,tickets £5

1. No they shouldn't retire his shirt. Good player but if we retired every shirt from every good player, then we'd have no numbers left available!

2. Who the bloody hell is Colburn??

:shock:

how many good players have we had?

I say we retire number 1 for a mr dean brill :wink::grin:

is mark allot a legend?- more games and more goals

eyres was a good player for us but a legend...not IMO

Of course he was a legend , top player , top bloke , scored some of the best goals seen at bp, and proved his legend status during the chris moore callaps, always be my favourite.

Of course he was a legend , top player , top bloke , scored some of the best goals seen at bp, and proved his legend status during the chris moore callaps, always be my favourite.

He is definitely a legend. For fans of any age too. He just oozed class, and was totally committed to the cause.

The thing is, is our squad really so big that we have to have a number 28? And any, we don't have to "retire" the number, just not use it....until we have someone good to wear it.