Barry Owen on Attendances

Due to the bad managerial decisions this club has failed to make any progress where it matters most.....On the pitch!!!

We must have spent a fortune on failed appointments, paying off former managers etc.etc.etc....If the owners had gone for broke and spent a few bob on the playing side early in their tenure we might have been in the championship now where practically all of these problems would have been largely irrelevant!!!

I've been preaching the latics gospel for years in the pub and at work and trying to persuade people to watch us and every time they are tempted I have to endure comments like.....How the hell do you go and watch that crap every week.....£20 for that , you must want your head feeling!!!

The reason we are in this mess is solely down to the product on the pitch....Nobody really bothers about facilities and the like when the team are doing well. A new shiny ground in Failsworth will be no good whatsoever if the standard of football doesn't improve!!

Get the product right on the pitch and everything will look after itself!!!

I say little relevance. What I really mean is that in football there are many mistakes made in appointing managers. Someone is right, someone is wrong. It happens. I haven't liked some decisions (Sheridan being sacked when he was is the main one for me), but you live with it. However, when have TTA really shown that they aren't backing us? That they are doing the dirty?

To me, they have backed the team as well as they can with regards the team on the pitch.

As mentioned, give me someone better and I'll argue their case, but there is no one really wanting to jump on the back of a near bankrupt third division side that attracts 4,000 people.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The marketing is :censored:. It should be improved. I see little will to do this from TTA. I see little way of changing this.

They knocked down the Lookers as it was losing piles of money. We don't fill even half the current ground. The finalisation of the next ground is irrelevant to this.

If Failsworth is being steamrollered then the demolition of BP is irrelevant.

I have no problems with the move.

COME UP WITH A BETTER OPTION.

but isn't marketing the club probably the most important factor to any type of business??

why was the lookers losing money?...because there was no marketing to get those bums on seats to make the lookers profitable.simple...and that why barry has had another ego trip in the chron, when the bloody problem is right at the club and the way its being run!

i'd suggest this scenario to you on your last point...what if the failsworth project goes tits up on the planning stage...hold ups etc etc etc?

thats right! back to square one with a dump of a ground and lots of shiny new houses being built around the place.

priorities eh..

Well, that seems to make sense, after all it should be the full time aspect that matters - I wonder how many (few) people are over 21 f/t students? Bet they both wished they could get student rates.

I still won't be going to citeh, even for £15.

Maybe this is somewhere the trust could take some burden from the club - set up and police some schemes to promote the club - FT students of any age, maybe some for unemployed, dunno.

maybe they could allow 4 cheap tickets a season for unemployed fans (£5? £7? £8 £10?) - bring proof of benefits and full ID, to register, ticket issued on match day to prevent (dissuade) people passing it on at a profit?

Oh, forgot to say - that reply above about the £2 ticket discount being pretty worthless and needing dropping for a "book" scheme - that would make more sense. Better to discount for repeated purchase than for pre-purchase.

You shouldnt have to register for anything. You should be able to show your NUS either at the turnstile or the ticket office and get your student ticket. You can at other clubs. It takes very little effort to introduce. Im not even a student but a valid NUS or university card should allow student prices doesnt matter if your full or part time.

but isn't marketing the club probably the most important factor to any type of business??

why was the lookers losing money?...because there was no marketing to get those bums on seats to make the lookers profitable.simple...and that why barry has had another ego trip in the chron, when the bloody problem is right at the club and the way its being run!

i'd suggest this scenario to you on your last point...what if the failsworth project goes tits up on the planning stage...hold ups etc etc etc?

thats right! back to square one with a dump of a ground and lots of shiny new houses being built around the place.

priorities eh..

The surrounding land is gone. That is not part of the club anymore. So houses being built are irrelevant.

If the Failsworth project goes tits up I fear for the club in keeping its league status. I reckon we'll go the way of Halifax. Simple as that.

I don't see it (the building of the stadium) going that way myself. But it could happen, I agree.

The Lookers was losing money in the same way the other three stands are losing half a million a year.

As mentioned earlier. the marketing is :censored: and needs sorting.

I'm not going to defend Barry or the Trust as I see them as an insignificant factor in the scheme of things.

I've not read this entire thread, but why don't these people just quit smoking, somebody please enlighten me what the benefits of smoking are? Before someone says "well maybe they don't want to quit", that automatically makes them a total moron. You're paying money to shorten your life and reduce the quality of it on the whole, why would you not want to quit?

I am not a smoker, BUT, Everybody has a habit of somekind, so how about i tell you to give it up- or you are a moron!

In all my time I've had more phone calls off Southend* than I've had off Oldham.

They were looking for sponsorship of their youth team. I've been and gone as an Oldham ST holder three seperate times now, and never even had an enquiry as to why, or how/if I could be retrieved.

*I went to a game there a year and a half ago. Compared to Oldham's twenty years I've clocked up.

Same here and I have been there 3 times

The Southend marketing of the club in recent years has worked wonders, they have had a two promotions which we have not but up in the early 2000's southend were averaging 3-4K per game..... They peaked at 10K in the championship but even the other 3 years in this division they have averaged 8000.

The surrounding land is gone. That is not part of the club anymore. So houses being built are irrelevant.

but it is relevant!

the land is now a separate entity from oldham athletic ...so that land,with its shiny new houses, will in the event of failsworth being delayed or even rejected by planning / whoever, mean that the move it being forced..whatever the decision!

forget it..i give up.

the club is a mess, and its its bloody fault .

fans are sick of it and the club needs to look at the way its run, before getting mouthpiece barry to do some shouting in the chron.

market the club locally...regenerate interest from the lapsed latics fans of yesteryear. offer intensives to go back. find a way to get a bum on 90% of all seats at EVERY game.

8,000 x £14 =£112,000

4000 x £20 = £80,000

8,000 x £14 =£112,000

4000 x £20 = £80,000

Figures like that look good, but we all know that dropping the admission to £14 would nowhere near double the attendance.

But like you say, the marketing simply has to be ramped up quite a few notches. I'd like to see all kinds of different offers every matchday, because then at least it'd visibly show the club are actually trying to get new fans through the door.

Get your act together Latics.

but it is relevant!

the land is now a separate entity from oldham athletic ...so that land,with its shiny new houses, will in the event of failsworth being delayed or even rejected by planning / whoever, mean that the move it being forced..whatever the decision!

forget it..i give up.

the club is a mess, and its its bloody fault .

fans are sick of it and the club needs to look at the way its run, before getting mouthpiece barry to do some shouting in the chron.

market the club locally...regenerate interest from the lapsed latics fans of yesteryear. offer intensives to go back. find a way to get a bum on 90% of all seats at EVERY game.

8,000 x £14 =£112,000

4000 x £20 = £80,000

The houses are relevant in the way that it is irretrevable (never start a word you can't spell), and there is no going back. But they are irrelevant in that they are not there now. That land is gone, and is not part of BP either. I agree the club is hopefully heading to Failsworth, no matter what - as the other option isn't worth contemplating.

You really think we'll get anywhere near 8,000 with £14 go? We got little more at £2 a go when crowds were bigger.

I say little relevance. What I really mean is that in football there are many mistakes made in appointing managers. Someone is right, someone is wrong. It happens. I haven't liked some decisions (Sheridan being sacked when he was is the main one for me), but you live with it. However, when have TTA really shown that they aren't backing us? That they are doing the dirty?

To me, they have backed the team as well as they can with regards the team on the pitch.

As mentioned, give me someone better and I'll argue their case, but there is no one really wanting to jump on the back of a near bankrupt third division side that attracts 4,000 people.

TTA have been brilliant and despite what a lot say on here have backed all their past managers 100%.....It's easy to critisise but perhaps we should have spent a few bob on getting the right manager in the begining and stuck with him for the last 6 or 7 years. We might now be reaping the rewards with promotion and consolidation in the championship.

TTA unfortunately were not experienced football people and had to rely on other peoples judgment regarding managerial recruitment eg. Brian Talbot ( who admittedly looked a good appointment at the time ) however Alan Hardy had been at the club for a fair few years and you would think that with his experience he could have put together a short list of potential candidates.

I think Penney is a good appointment but perhaps they have rather less money to throw around at players now and it's going to be difficult to compete with the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and Charlton.

The premiership years and pinch me seasons were brilliant where the club shop was filled to the rafters with fans spending their cash and every aspect of the club was thriving, but it has pushed up the bar of expectation and we are now suffering as a result.

We have been producing dire entertainment in this division for fifteen years and the harsh reality is that a new ground with top facilities alone is not going to tempt the Oldham public to get off their backsides and support their local team.

The move to Failsworth will be irrelevant because the way I see it..........Producing a good, entertaining, and successful team is now the only way we are going to put bums on seats and survive as a football league club in this town.

That Stitch bloke isn't welcome though. Him and his dodgy stuff that I wouldn't like to try outside Charlton at some point. At all.

Or Brighton, Darlington, Brentford, Dagenham, Spurs, Oldham, Olhdam again, Doncaster, did I mention Oldham...

Ahem, each to there own! :) I’ve smoked up in the back corner of the Lookers on quiet occasions. Not in a scally manner mind, always alone, away and minding my own business….and in the days when you could smoke fags in your seat. I never did anybody any harm but did get the occasional funny look. :grin:

Anyway, I’m disappointed I missed this topic when it was all going off, I would have got well stuck in. As it is I tend to reserve OWTB for working hours, as when I’m at home I’m preoccupied with smoking crack. Soft drugs lead to harder ones don’t you know?

To comment on the addictiveness of smoking debate, in my personal experience it isn’t that addictive at all. I smoked my first cigarette aged 7, I was first caught by my mum aged 8 and I was smoking daily and ‘taking it back’ by 12. Sounds crazy to many but it’s true. Anyway, I gave up cigs when I was 22 and it was the easiest thing ever! I quit quite simply because I stopped enjoying it - I grew to dislike it and realised I was just smoking out of habit, not need. I was suddenly repulsed at the prospect of a cigarette - I suppose that was lucky. Strangely, I do still smoke and enjoy fags when I’m drunk, it just goes hand in hand to me.

Allowing smoking at the ground today? The rule for public smoking areas is that 50% of the surrounding space (walls/roof) must be open. I know this having been responsible for 250+ pub smoking areas. Unless football grounds are under different regulations there is nothing to stop a smoking area being designated in both the Rocky and Chaddy, without hassle. The mainstand might not be so easy however.

Finally, did you know that a 40 year old heroin addict with a clean supply (largely unheard of then ) is healthier than the typical 40 year old life smoker? So, if anybody has access to any please PM before Friday’s Warehouse Project. Cheers.

The houses are relevant in the way that it is irretrevable (never start a word you can't spell), and there is no going back. But they are irrelevant in that they are not there now. That land is gone, and is not part of BP either. I agree the club is hopefully heading to Failsworth, no matter what - as the other option isn't worth contemplating.

You really think we'll get anywhere near 8,000 with £14 go? We got little more at £2 a go when crowds were bigger.

8,000 was an example figure.

heres another.

6,000 x £15 =£90,000

4,000 x £20 = £80,000

I am not a smoker, BUT, Everybody has a habit of somekind, so how about i tell you to give it up- or you are a moron!

Read the rest of the debate about smoking, my habits generally aren't having such a dramatic detrimental effect on my health. We've discussed drinking etc already, but thanks for playing.

In all my time I've had more phone calls off Southend* than I've had off Oldham.

They were looking for sponsorship of their youth team. I've been and gone as an Oldham ST holder three seperate times now, and never even had an enquiry as to why, or how/if I could be retrieved.

*I went to a game there a year and a half ago. Compared to Oldham's twenty years I've clocked up.

Similar thing here. I bought tickets for ONE Blackburn game 3 years ago. Now I can't stop them writing to me, advertising their season tickets and other offers they have going. I don't know anyone who has had contact from Latics after not renewing their season ticket.

Although I think that some of the various figures that are quoted to justify schemes/offers on here are way out, I can't fault the general feel that there is no desire by the club to market itself. Underlying this lack of desire are undoubtedly a less than long-term view (both in location and ownership)...but also the number of long-term (but good) staff at the club. Many suggestions are auto met with 'we've tried that before' view.

If you continue to do what you've always done you'll get what you always got!

I took it on myself last summer (08) to write a 15 page report/marketing strategy for the club, on the back of another one of these debates. inc research into other clubs etc. It didn't just cover 'ideas', it actually set out a comprehensive view of how to develop the necessary strategy (in real life not just text book rubbish!!).

To be fair Alan Hardy was very good (he is much underrated) and we have had a number of discussions since. However, very little has changed since...and that was before another raft of ideas with regards to partnership with Sweet Shop to try and enhance revenue streams, catering and shop products. Some of this may be happening, eventually. As a fan and a business owner I'd like to help bring the club into the 21st Century, but continually hit a brick wall of 'old' thinking.

The frustrating part is that there is so much that can be done if there was a clear marketing strategy in place. ps. anyone else know that it is the 20th anniversary season of the 89/90 cup run...talk about opportunity missed!!!! Bunn's 6 v scarborough for a start at the end of this month (??)

An addition to this (and on from some other points about other clubs). I've had a lot of conversations with Latics, offering my support and that of my business, yet have not been contacted once. I had a 2 min conversation with a marketing guy from Burnley FC at a random event and within 2 weeks we have agreed a deal which cost next to nothing allowing me to be an exclusive partner (accessing their 17K ticketholders) and as a result we're also supplying their corporate/hospitality depts and shop. To the point that they are including our products in all kinds of other promotions where they see an advantage to do so (I don't do anything). They are taking advantage of the additional revenue they can gain from our products.

I've offered Latics a way of generating a new income without it costing them anything and....nothing.

To repeat my above point, old thinking (and lack of planning) are the main issue. Not every 'idea' is practical to be acted on, but with a proper marketing plan it makes it easier to evaluate and put some in place. The club themselves will admit that when ideas have been tried in the past they've not done proper reviews/tracking/analysis of them. What they haven't ever done is get the the heart of what the issues are.... there are accepted to be 3 types of fans/customers at football clubs - Followers / Supporters / Fanatics as a broad brush...each has specific needs. Goodness me it isn't black magic.

An addition to this (and on from some other points about other clubs). I've had a lot of conversations with Latics, offering my support and that of my business, yet have not been contacted once. I had a 2 min conversation with a marketing guy from Burnley FC at a random event and within 2 weeks we have agreed a deal which cost next to nothing allowing me to be an exclusive partner (accessing their 17K ticketholders) and as a result we're also supplying their corporate/hospitality depts and shop. To the point that they are including our products in all kinds of other promotions where they see an advantage to do so (I don't do anything). They are taking advantage of the additional revenue they can gain from our products.

I've offered Latics a way of generating a new income without it costing them anything and....nothing.

To repeat my above point, old thinking (and lack of planning) are the main issue. Not every 'idea' is practical to be acted on, but with a proper marketing plan it makes it easier to evaluate and put some in place. The club themselves will admit that when ideas have been tried in the past they've not done proper reviews/tracking/analysis of them. What they haven't ever done is get the the heart of what the issues are.... there are accepted to be 3 types of fans/customers at football clubs - Followers / Supporters / Fanatics as a broad brush...each has specific needs. Goodness me it isn't black magic.

Why don't you send your report to New York Boss, maybe he'll read what you have said on here but just in case.....

I don't even know who wardlelatic is, so why he would make statements as to how I feel or how club decisions are made is beyond me.

Scary as to how little a senior member of the trust knows about the club.

Thank you to all those who have made their points. Some very valid comments.

Just to make sure this is rumoured to be one of TTA right?

Why don't you send your report to New York Boss, maybe he'll read what you have said on here but just in case.....

happy too, although at least 2 of his colleagues have had a copy already. And if it is Mr Blitz then he can give me some tips on setting up in North America.

I havent been so far this season.... After give or take 20 years of back to back seasons...

Interesting. I asked you whether you would be going to MK dons and/or Yeovil and you said yes.

Rationalise your absence as much as you want, you are not giving any support to the team at present, nor helping the club's financial situation. Yet, as has been pointed out you, you have posted opinions over 5000 times.

It's up to you but you've got to expect raised eyebrows .

Interesting. I asked you whether you would be going to MK dons and/or Yeovil and you said yes.

Rationalise your absence as much as you want, you are not giving any support to the team at present, nor helping the club's financial situation. Yet, as has been pointed out you, you have posted opinions over 5000 times.

It's up to you but you've got to expect raised eyebrows .

You waffle without making a point....

Raised eyebrows about what ? I am totally pissed off with all things Latics right now... Does that mean I stop having a opinion or stop caring ??

Once you stop going should we just disappear into the background and not give a :censored: ?

Well ???