New Ground Opposition gathering momentum - The games begin...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious answer... I dont know... but I get your point...

You reckon its as low as 80 ? It is going to be a lot higher...

Traffic will be a big concern for a whole host of people as well... and I reckon you will have a few united and city who will more than happy stick the boot in...

I aint defending them, or even saying I agree... You just ignore them at your peril...

If it becomes an election issue we have a problem...

I understand the answer to the serious question is the nearest houses (approx 17) are about half a mile away, which is not close enough to qualify for formal planning consultation.

The Traffic assessment will have to be carried out, as before, based on how many cars people can drive at the same time. :wink:

If it becomes an election issue, and candidates opposed to the proposal are elected in Failsworth, they will be outvoted by the other councillors in whichever political group is in control. I cannot see any political group opposing the principle of this type of development in that area of the Borough.

Well for those who went to the forum

SC said that BA were in serious talks with a group re the land at the lancaster club, and this other group wanted to put industrial units on there.

So I can see this going one of two ways, it gets approved, and a community stadium along with community facilities get built.

OR

It doesnt, latics drop even lower, the land owned by BA is sold, industrial units are built of somesort, failsworth and oldham is left with

-1 green area

-1 cricket pitch

-3 football pitches

clayton fields pt 2.

its not theirs to sell!

The Advertiser has reported previously:

Cllr Mohib Uddin, cabinet member for regeneration, said the council believes the additional land of 11.75 acres – which it is proposed will be leased to Oldham Athletic – does not form part of Lower Memorial Park.

"When the council checked the status of this land with the Charities Commission they advised that the identified development site was ‘not held upon specific charitable trusts’ and they would therefore ‘not need to be involved or advise on its disposal’.

"Furthermore, upon checking the deeds within the proposed stadium site, officers have advised that the land does not hold any legal connection to those who died in the First World War.

"However, it is also possible – if the development eventually receives detailed planning permission – that Oldham Athletic might be asked to make a contribution to the improvement of the formal Lower Memorial Park area which is, of course, to be retained."

I understand the answer to the serious question is the nearest houses (approx 17) are about half a mile away, which is not close enough to qualify for formal planning consultation.

Yet 80 people turned up last night pissed off.... It is not wise to ignore people with issues...

The Traffic assessment will have to be carried out, as before, based on how many cars people can drive at the same time. :wink:

:lol:

If it becomes an election issue, and candidates opposed to the proposal are elected in Failsworth, they will be outvoted by the other councillors in whichever political group is in control. I cannot see any political group opposing the principle of this type of development in that area of the Borough.

Oh come on Diego... Like the way Oldham Sports park didn't get opposed...

Anyway, ALL I am saying is we ignore people at our peril...

I am pissed off how little people are gauging our thoughts as fans... Goodness knows how badly the local residents of failsworth feel...

Edited by oafc0000

I would imagine at that stage the 80 would be much higher...

Generally speaking if 80 people are prepared to gate crash a meeting you tend to find a greater level of annoyance behind them...

It's only ever relatively small groups of people who involve themselves in campaigns anyway. It doesn't mean they don't have broad support.

Anyway, ALL I am saying is we ignore people at our peril...

People make representations against development but effectively get ignored all the time in the planning process. The Council has to do what's best for the Borough as a whole, based on its Development Plan and planning guidance from the Government.

People make representations against development but effectively get ignored all the time in the planning process. The Council has to do what's best for the Borough as a whole, based on its Development Plan and planning guidance from the Government.

:petesake:

If only it did....

Does anyone have a clue which bit of the land the club proposes to build the stadium on? Is it going to be built on the current patch owned by BA or is it going to be built on the council owned bit?

If I've understood what's been said so far, and in the absence of plans which have not yet been prepared, the stadium would be built on BA land, with the allotments and other Council land needed to provide satisfactory access to the site.

Senor Coco is right about this. It's predictible, NIMBYism. And without the plans which are in the process of production it's impossible to assess the impact on the local area. On about 25 days of the year ( or parts of 25 days) there will be extra traffic. That's probably all that can be quantified. Hardly the world being turned upside down. It's not as though it's an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that's going to be despoiled.

I wonder if any of our own anti-Failsworth OWTB members will get involved with whatever local opposition there is....?

Senor Coco is right about this. It's predictible, NIMBYism. And without the plans which are in the process of production it's impossible to assess the impact on the local area. On about 25 days of the year ( or parts of 25 days) there will be extra traffic. That's probably all that can be quantified. Hardly the world being turned upside down. It's not as though it's an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that's going to be despoiled.

I wonder if any of our own anti-Failsworth OWTB members will get involved with whatever local opposition there is....?

Also, I can't imagine a latics game to attract any more traffic than when there is a game on at eastlands.

Also, I can't imagine a latics game to attract any more traffic than when there is a game on at eastlands.

Considering the road layout around there, the residents are barking up the wrong tree...

I also disagree with their concerns about fan trouble...I am sure police figures can show we have little issue with this...

I also do not see how a £20 million development would effect their house prices in a negative manner...

Maybe if someone took the time to speak to them...

Edited by oafc0000

Considering the road layout around there, the residents are barking up the wrong tree...

I also disagree with their concerns about fan trouble...I am sure police figures can show we have little issue with this...

I also do not see how a £20 million development would effect their house prices in a negative manner...

Maybe if someone took the time to speak to them...

I've posted the following on the Chron website: "Latics have already had an open forum that certain individuals decided not to attend. Traffic links in Failsworth are better than at Boundary Park, so 23 home matches a year will not be a problem. There is no evidence that house prices will fall, and they may even increase as a result of regeneration. Latics are also a family club with a history of well behaved fans. Do these 80 people represent the whole of Failsworth, and why should they halt a much needed multi-million regeneration project?"

Don't let the NIMBYs win.

:ranting:

I've posted the following on the Chron website: "Latics have already had an open forum that certain individuals decided not to attend. Traffic links in Failsworth are better than at Boundary Park, so 23 home matches a year will not be a problem. There is no evidence that house prices will fall, and they may even increase as a result of regeneration. Latics are also a family club with a history of well behaved fans. Do these 80 people represent the whole of Failsworth, and why should they halt a much needed multi-million regeneration project?"

Don't let the NIMBYs win.

:ranting:

Its not just 23 matches a year... The development will result in increased traffic during all hours...

The rest is fair to say ...

Edited by oafc0000