Penney Must Go

It's a change in playing style that's needed to a more attacking mindset, the manager has had plenty of chances since pre season to bring in those most needed - a creative midfielder and a goalpoacher on a permanant basis.

If those type of players had been signed I'm sure Latics would be in a far better position than now.

It has been said the manager has bodies who can fill in, but IMO you can't keep putting square pegs into round holes and expect good results.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Penney:

Pros:

Organised team

Good team spirit (off the pitch)

Has got the best out of the team.

Cons:

Offer nothing in attack

Made some very questionable signings*

Hasn’t got the best out of individuals

* Brill – less said the better

Parker – awful

Worthington – Just seems to run around getting booked

Holdsworth – definitely no replacement for Eardley

Colbeck – seems to be improving but still not adding anything to the team.

Harsh on Worthington and Holdsworth

Worthington is injured

Whoever came in for Eardley was not going to be an adequate replacement unless we splashed a few 100k. He was a class right back especially at our level despite what a lot of numpties following us seemed to think.

Harsh on Worthington and Holdsworth

Worthington is injured

Whoever came in for Eardley was not going to be an adequate replacement unless we splashed a few 100k. He was a class right back especially at our level despite what a lot of numpties following us seemed to think.

Maybe a little harsh on Holdsworth but it is still a backwards step in terms of the team.

Worthington has played enough games this season for me to realise that he has bundles of energy but very little talent.

We know DP is working to the same budget that JS was. JS mange to build a team capable of promotion. Lets give it to March and then review it all then.

As for the TTA and budgets, I think they put enough in for team building.

i havent got a clue what shez budget was....but whenever he asked for a player,he got the cash.

i do know pennys budget at the start of the season was 1.7 million....as reported the other week in an interview with mr corney.

Worthington – Just seems to run around getting booked

One of the things I realised last season, was that I wasn't prepared to watch a team, full of players who had no concept of the words "fight" and "battle", yet had every understanding of the terms "wag£s" and ":censored: it, I'll get another club after this :censored:hole". I was well and truly fed up of the revolving door policy, with nothing but mercinary players coming in, picking up a wage, doing nowt and buggering off. To tell the truth, that hurts me more than losing.

You just can't level something like that at Worthington, so for me he's an adequate replacement for the outgoing midfielder we had; Mark Allott. He's never a midfielder in a million years who'll drive us to promotion, but whenever we did seem to go a goal down when he was playing, you could hear Worthington's voice trying to gee the players back up. He's clumsy, low-quality and a bit ugly, but he gets stuck in. It'll do for me, unless we magic up a load of money for a clearly better player.

Penney thus far has frustrated and appeased in equal amounts as far as I'm concerned. We're seeing less of the casually strolling about not caring whether we lose or draw attitude which sapped us like a parasite last season, so deep rooted even Big Joe couldn't quite shift. But by the same token he's brought in perhaps 2 or 3 players who clearly can't cut it at this level and who ironically have managed to stay clear of injury. It's ludicrous to judge him after just 3 months of a season, especially since we've been decimated by injuries and illness.

I honestly don't think Penney has that bit extra to get us promoted. Even with a bigger budget I fear he'd blow a fair bit of it on the wrong players. He needs time, at least to get a fully fit squad, with well rated players like Abbott, Purdie and Taylor back in the team, and perhaps the addition of another striker like a fit Lewis Alessandra back with a fresh challenge and a clean slate. I honestly reckon with a fully fit squad at his disposal we're a good match, bit I worry slightly at the long term prospects with penney at the helm still.

i havent got a clue what shez budget was....but whenever he asked for a player,he got the cash.

i do know pennys budget at the start of the season was 1.7 million....as reported the other week in an interview with mr corney.

Well like I said, DP and JS had the same budget... Barry confirmed it...

Edited by oafc0000

:lol: Now now...he took the time to answer a very important question today :D

But are you really sure he answered it accurately? Was he talking about the wage bill at the start of the season, is and was there a pot for loans, what is the bonus structure, does he know? Has he asked?

We entered a transition period when we appointed Shez as manager, with a long-term goal of Shez forming a good team, etc like we have with Penny. With Shez, though, the players he brought in seemed to be a lot closer to the finished product than what Penny has done so far. Our current transitional period looks like it's going to be a very long one, with even a relegation thrown in between.

Going off our past record, once we're down, we'll be down for good. Just as with the previous relegations everything, including expectations, will be adjusted for life at the lower level, with the usual result. If it happens we will, I confidently predict, be playing non-league football within a decade.

I just hope the owners are not thinking along these lines. What an irony it would be if, after staving off relegation to the basement during all the hopelessness of the Ritchie/Brierley years and the disaster of the Chris Morre aftermath, we are finally sunk by the very people who promised so much.

This club has, in actual fact, been in a transition period since 1994. It's been a transition from being a club perfectly capable of holding its own in the second tier of English football and having a genuine stab at the top flight, to one that counts itself lucky to hold onto third division status. Pathetic.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Going off our past record, once we're down, we'll be down for good. Just as with the previous relegations everything, including expectations, will be adjusted for life at the lower level, with the usual result. If it happens we will, I confidently predict, be playing non-league football within a decade.

I

Historically that's just not true.

In 1960 we were weeks away from closing. the "expectation" was that we would (if you don't believe me have a look at some of the histories of the club or programmes or newspapers of the day).

In fact with astute signings like Lister, Branagan, Williams, Mc Call and , of course, Bobby Johnstone, we turned it around and in 1963 got promoted with an average home gate of over 14000.

In 1969 we were back in the bottom flight (after the ambition of the Bates reign), . Again we got out and in 74 we were in the old 2nd Div.

An outright statement that once down ""going off our past record", we're down for good, simply isn't true.

Make predictions, but don't ignore the historical facts please.

Its down to the manager. An outstanding manager will turn things round, even with limited funds note especially Brian Clough in his first managerial job at Hartlepool. Latics successful times have been under Jack Rowley (1st time) Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle. Well meaning though some of the other managers may have been (eg Andy Ritchie) none have been in the same class as those three. It is still too early to judge DP but there needs to be some good news and results soon or I fear this time the downturn could be for good, due to the completely different and imo unfair current structure of football

Its down to the manager. An outstanding manager will turn things round, even with limited funds note especially Brian Clough in his first managerial job at Hartlepool. Latics successful times have been under Jack Rowley (1st time) Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle. Well meaning though some of the other managers may have been (eg Andy Ritchie) none have been in the same class as those three. It is still too early to judge DP but there needs to be some good news and results soon or I fear this time the downturn could be for good, due to the completely different and imo unfair current structure of football

Jack, Jimmy and Joe? Should we have kept John?

Historically that's just not true.

In 1960 we were weeks away from closing. the "expectation" was that we would (if you don't believe me have a look at some of the histories of the club or programmes or newspapers of the day).

In fact with astute signings like Lister, Branagan, Williams, Mc Call and , of course, Bobby Johnstone, we turned it around and in 1963 got promoted with an average home gate of over 14000.

In 1969 we were back in the bottom flight (after the ambition of the Bates reign), . Again we got out and in 74 we were in the old 2nd Div.

An outright statement that once down ""going off our past record", we're down for good, simply isn't true.

Make predictions, but don't ignore the historical facts please.

I know it isn't. I was referring, as was fairly clear, to the period after 1994-the one which saw the club in exactly the wrong place when all the money was going elsewhere, resulting in it being left so far behind (as opposition fans on here recently noted) that it can never again catch up and is resigning itself to a permanent lower division future.

Professional football was almost a different game in those other eras.

Anyway, as I always say, you don't have to take my word for it. If we do go down just sit back and watch it all unfold.

Before my time Joe joining the club but did he not start off badly? I think he wouldnt have lasted with our current fans.

Pity, by the way, that the club's current plans ensure that we'll never get average gates of 14000 again. Or even any gates at all of 14000.

Isn't it?