• I am fully behind it
    • Yet to make my mind up
    • I am dead against it

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please define wisely.

And is asking them to spend big but wisely not spending other people's money by another name.

And what if Bolton, or Hull drop 2 divisions?

Otherwise it wcould be Leeds. Are you advocating some sort of Leeds style adminsitration as a back up plan if spending big wisely does not work.

surely you must have a plan B if PLan A (spend bg but "wisely"does not work?

Wisely? Isn't it obvious? Targetting the right kind of player as opposed to splashing out willy-nilly.

Don't know what you mean by your second sentence. It's a bit incoherent.

Don't give two tosses where Bolton or Hull end up. Don't see that what might (or might not) happen to them should be used as an excuse for why we have to remain where we are or drop further. Better to have tried etc.

I'm not advocating anything. It's all academic. As I said, we're knackered. All the interest disappears when we've resigned ourselves to merely treading water at this level (even if the nodding dogs pretend there's still ambition left, it's given the lie by a lower division capacity.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Wisely? Isn't it obvious? Targetting the right kind of player as opposed to splashing out willy-nilly.

Don't know what you mean by your second sentence. It's a bit incoherent.

Don't give two tosses where Bolton or Hull end up. Don't see that what might (or might not) happen to them should be used as an excuse for why we have to remain where we are or drop further. Better to have tried etc.

I'm not advocating anything. It's all academic. As I said, we're knackered. All the interest disappears when we've resigned ourselves to merely treading water at this level (even if the nodding dogs pretend there's still ambition left, it's given the lie by a lower division capacity.)

But you have used them as an example of what can be achieved with ambition. Make your mind up.

A lot of focus on what corp thinks...

People might want to note the 40% of people here who also are not yet backing the stadium plans...

I do see OWTB has a snap shot of the support. We do have a reasonable cross section of the fans base posting on here I feel and if this poll carrys over to the general support then I would suggest there are plenty more corps out there... Which I would suggest is very worrying...

Edited by oafc0000

People might want to note the 40% of people here who also are not yet backing the stadium plans...

I do see OWTB has a snap shot of the support. We do have a reasonable cross section of the fans base posting on here I feel and if this poll carrys over to the general support then I would suggest there are plenty more corps out there... Which I would suggest is very worrying...

Sorry 0000 but there's absoulutely nothing empirical to back that up.

On the other hand 60% are. As for plenty more Corpse out there, I'd say there are millions.

I have, on the other hand, suggested that the only way to re-establish the club in the Championship is by spending big (and wisely).

Isn't that a bit like saying the key to being rich is having lots of money?

"Jeez, "spend big and wisely" <slaps forehead> why didn't we think of it sooner?"

So that was your alternative plan - don't buy duffers.

Now, flesh it out a bit - how do you avoid spending big and un-wisely? Or:- What happens if you spend big but they turn out to be "un-wise"-buys? What's the risk? What is the potential adverse outcome?

Come on CJ, if your plan is so good, you must have thought it through. Or will you fall back on "it's not for me to say" or your other refrain "it's just my opinion (which everyone knows, you only have to spend 10 mins to tell it's a FACT)"

Only 20% are "against" it.

"not yet backing" - call new labour now! It's not very substantial, but they need all the help they can get.

Sorry 0000 but there's absoulutely nothing empirical to back that up.

We have 3,037 registered members

Sat 21 Colchester Attendance 3,607

I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest we have a reasonable cross section of feeling.

Note that we never heard about from Barry regarding this "wider" audience he was seeking via the newspaper moaning he did a few weeks back. I know of no better source of opinion on the current state of Oldham Athletic than OWTB. If you know of a better source then please say...

Edited by oafc0000

We have 3,037 registered members

Sat 21 Colchester Attendance 3,607

I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest we have a reasonable cross section of feeling.

Note that we never heard about from Barry regarding this "wider" audience he was seeking via the newspaper moaning he did a few weeks back. I know of know better source of opinion on the current state of Oldham Athletic than OWTB. If you know of a better source then please say...

...and how many of the 3,037 are from other clubs?

Only 20% are "against" it.

"not yet backing" - call new labour now! It's not very substantial, but they need all the help they can get.

20% are against... a further 20% are yet to back the plans... That leaves 40% still questioning the logic of Failsworth. and 60% fully behind it...

I would be worried that such a great move is not more heavily backed at this stage. Each to there own.

I do understand Corps concerns. And in a way I agree with him.

But the simple fact is that of those stadiums stated, 2 are heading for the Champioship, and 1 has someone who jsut wants to spend his money on his club.

Hull have a huge catchment area, but a good idea of building a big stadium, but have debts of £30m and £40m wage bill.

And if they get relegated, to the Championship.....

Wigan have a guy who just wnated to throw money at his club. without him, where would they be? We do not have that luxury.

And Bolton are repostedly £60million in debt. And they pay £40m a year in wages. In the Championship, maybe? In fact, Bolton is the way not to do it.

The sutainable approach is the best way. I do agree it consigns us into the lower leagues for a while but to say it is forever is ludicrous. It is a solid base to build.

The key is sustainabity, without that, and we are heading for oblivion faster than even Corps states.

Corp is advocating Gordon Browns Fiscal policy, spending other peoples money like there is no tommorow.

Not Boom and Bust; Bust, and Buster.

totally one hundred percent behind a new stadium couldn't care less as to weather it's a five ten fifteen twenty or twenty five thousander it's a stadium for US not tom dick and harry who attend every blue moon...it's US that go now that needs new facilities....

Peter Mandleson has nothing on you.

:petesake:

So you are actually suggesting that more fans of other clubs signed up than latics ? :censored: me jesus wept...

I find it hilarious how Latics fans some how manage to undermine there own shred of power. With the death of the supporters club, with the complete and utter failure of the trust, to not recognise the collective influence a heavily backed fan site like this one can have is amazing.

We have latics fans from all across the country, from all across the world!! We have people aged 12 to 65!... You can say what you want without being chased out of the main stand with threats of the boys coming around or having to meet for a "friendly" pint...

OWTB is a pretty powerful tool... Shame some of you do not realise it...

Edited by Zorrro

:petesake:

So you are actually suggesting that more fans of other clubs signed up than latics ? :censored: me jesus wept...

I find it hilarious how Latics fans some how manage to undermine there own shred of power. With the death of the supporters club, with the complete and utter failure of the trust, to not recognise the collective influence a heavily backed fan site like this one can have is amazing.

You are guessing at figures to attempt to provide statistics. As for the blasphemy, I thought you bothered the fella upstairs, make sure you go to confession before midnight mass.

I don't believe failsworth is the right destination for us at all, but as it seems that is our only offer on the table...what can we do?

It seems re-development is out of the question so i'll follow the club to failsworth......grudgingly, but how many more feel the same and how sustainable will their support be if we continue to serve up the dross we've had to endure in recent times. As we've seen recently fans are more prepared than ever to turn their backs on the club if the product on the pitch continues to disappoint.

You are guessing at figures to attempt to provide statistics. As for the blasphemy, I thought you bothered the fella upstairs, make sure you go to confession before midnight mass.

We don't do "confession"...

I am not guessing at anything... Out of the sample above you have an answer... If it applies further a field is a matter of debate. I have seen exit polls based on lower numbers though.

I am not guessing at anything... Out of the sample above you have an answer... If it applies further a field is a matter of debate. I have seen exit polls based on lower numbers though.

The Church I was Baptised into does.....but that's beside the point.

You said there are 3,037 on this board. I questioned how many are not Latics, you said "For the argument sakes lets say 500... How the hell would I know..." You can't have an argument based on figures which are unknown.

Personally I find that mass numbers debating where to go with a decision ends up with no decision being reached.

I have always found that it is better to have a small number of people make the decision and I believe that you should have a committee/board consisting of an uneven number of people to make the decision.

Oh and consisting of no more than 2 people :wink:

Step forward Simon Blitz

You said there are 3,037 on this board. I questioned how many are not Latics, you said "For the argument sakes lets say 500... How the hell would I know..." You can't have an argument based on figures which are unknown.

I think its fair to assume the vast majority are Latics fans,..