Random European holiday ideas?

leeslover

I've got loads of time to take off and no particular plans, so am thinking I might just piss of somewhere or a few places on my own. Any suggestions? I like a bit of history and culture and interesting regional food, although by the same token I don't mind cheap strong lager and lots of tits either. Would want to do it on a budget and wouldn't at all mind travelling around a bit.

I've got loads of time to take off and no particular plans, so am thinking I might just piss of somewhere or a few places on my own. Any suggestions? I like a bit of history and culture and interesting regional food, although by the same token I don't mind cheap strong lager and lots of tits either. Would want to do it on a budget and wouldn't at all mind travelling around a bit.

belgium..home of bloody great beer!

i'm planning a trek in may,doing 2 barca games in 5 days,starting at barca v.tenerife (h) on wed night,then travel down to sevilla for the away game that weekend..take in the city,beer, food etc etc.

Budapest... Great place, good beer...

Always fancied there. Some cheap as chips deals as well, I'm temped to book now but don't know if I might have a job interview in Feb :unsure: lastminute.com appears to be a really :censored:ly designed website, incidentally

Always fancied there. Some cheap as chips deals as well, I'm temped to book now but don't know if I might have a job interview in Feb :unsure: lastminute.com appears to be a really :censored:ly designed website, incidentally

We flew Jet2 from Manchester.

Stayed here: http://www.expedia.co.uk/pub/agent.dll?qsc...amp;&tpid=3

Was a good hotel in a good location.

Budapest is actually made up of two cities... Buda and Pest... Buda is the old historic side and Pest is the newer side. You want to stay in Pest as this is where the pubs / town centre is. But a visit to Buda is a must. Go from April onwards and the weather should be lovely :)

Edited by oafc0000

Brussels (no more than 4 days - you'd be bored otherwise, unless you combined it with Bruges)

Bruges

Budapest (better in the summer - some decent open-air clubs by the river)

Lisbon (awesome in the sun, especially Belem)

Cologne (perfect in the cold - and great, great beer in the Kolsch breweries - good modern art musem too)

Prague (even more perfect in the cold, although a bit touristy now)

Paris (why not?)

• 1 year later...

Sofia's ok for maybe a day or two but nothing particularly special. Watch out for stray dogs, and be wary that if you shake your head at a skanky prostitute it actually means 'yes'. Some of the beer's pretty decent mind.

Skopje is a cool place, but if you want even better take a 3 hour bus ride from there and stay at Lake Ohrid. It can be a little touristy around there, though it's mostly Macedonian tourists who go, but they're very appreciative of foreign visitors. You'll find everyone says 'zdravo' to each other in the street and then they'll try to strike up conversation with you when they realise you're not from round there. Everything's rather cheap as well.

Not sure what it'd be like at easter but I went to the above places in Sept 2009 and it was mid-30s celsius.

Edited by Nervous_Tic

My dad did some work in yugoslavia just before it all went off, for years he was telling me i should go to montenegro. Completely different people to the slavs, apparently all the women are 6 foot tall, slim, stunning and large breasted. And its a nice place.

MAy I suggest Rhodes

Lots of culture, history

And Faliraki

Cyrpus has similar. Lots of ruins just around the place, and Aya Napa for your dirty secret..

MAdeira is nice but less of the female form

Edited by singe

I'd do eurostar, stop in Paris, stop in Brussels train to Bruges. take it from there.

Definitely do Berlin if you get the chance great city. Cheap too. Budapest is quality. I quite enjoyed Rotterdam but I wouldn't stay there for too long.

Krakow is a lot of fun with some really interesting stuff to see.

Europes your lobster

Sofia's ok for maybe a day or two but nothing particularly special. Watch out for stray dogs, and be wary that if you shake your head at a skanky prostitute it actually means 'yes'. Some of the beer's pretty decent mind.

Skopje is a cool place, but if you want even better take a 3 hour bus ride from there and stay at Lake Ohrid. It can be a little touristy around there, though it's mostly Macedonian tourists who go, but they're very appreciative of foreign visitors. You'll find everyone says 'zdravo' to each other in the street and then they'll try to strike up conversation with you when they realise you're not from round there. Everything's rather cheap as well.

Not sure what it'd be like at easter but I went to the above places in Sept 2009 and it was mid-30s celsius.

Is that what she told you?

• 3 weeks later...

have you done it yet??

if not, for food, culture & history on a budget - Spain. the Spanish bits that is.

My brother in Law did a coach tour which took in something like 14 countries in 21 days.

In 2005 I did this:

Flew into Budapest, got train to Bucharest, got train back to Budapest, boat down the Danube to Bratislava, got bus to Prague, train to Krakow, flew back from Krakow... in two weeks.

I'd recommend Bucharest. Bit of a strange mix of culture that you wouldn't expect, old eastern block style poverty and some general weirdness. Had a heart attack trying to withdraw 10,000 Lei and got 100,000 instead. After thinking I had just withdrawn approx £1k, i shortly found out they had just revalued their currency.

Dbrovnik in croatia is a good base for good beaches and a bit of history culture and you can still do day trips to Mostar (Bosnia) and Kotur (World Heritage Site) and Budvah in Montenegro.