Underrated Latics players from the past

We have all heard about the Latics legends, but there were many unsung heroes from the past who haven't really been given full credit for some sterling performances in a Latics shirt.

One of these that springs to mind is Gary Hoolickin, a fine defender who made over 200 appearances for the Latics and always gave his best.

There were many more like him who have done the club proud, let's have your nominations.

Tony Carrs, Jon Eyre, Carlo Corazzin, Big Les, Neal Eardley there has been loads down the years, and they would probably all get into the team we've got at the min.

Don't think any of them were UNDERrated tbh?

Eardley went for a decent fee and was well rated by most, and the rest had at least their own cult followings whilst they were with us.

Andy Holt.

Never a Latics legend, but a good, solid player for this level. Always chipped in with a few goals and didn't do all that bad really.

Paul Rickers and Scott McNiven, suffered dogs abuse but made hundreds of appearances for the club - McNiven from making his debut aged 16 away to Barnsley and I lost count how many times Rickers scored vital goals, particularly the second vs Reading on the final day escape in '99.

Edited by oafcprozac

Paul Rickers and Scott McNiven, suffered dogs abuse but made hundreds of appearances for the club - McNiven from making his debut aged 16 away to Barnsley and I lost count how many times Rickers scored vital goals, particularly the second vs Reading on the final day escape in '99.

Lee Sinnott. - Scored a brilliant bullet header in a Pre Season fixture with Stockport.

Steven Whitehall - Scored some crucial goals including a late winner on a Tues against Milwall and had a lot of work rate.

John Eyre - Hard as nails.

The most undertalked about player of all time is Nick Henry ........ An absoloute star in the middle and the most determined player I have ever seen. Mr Whittaker please take note.

Arise Sir Nicholas :grin:

+1, harrased an opposition player off the ball with him in Midfield with Milly we commanded the centre, biting at the opposition ankles, threading the ball through to oooooo Roger and Mr Ritchie and the delighful ricky holden on the wing

And if you dare stood infront of a Denis Irwin free kick then you'd best get your life insurance in place if one of them caught you sqaure on..

Aww...days when latics players tackled and scored screamers from free kicks.

Sob...boo hooo :disappointed:

Some choices here I'd question - were Holt, Henry and Armstrong really underrated?

I'll second Scott McNiven. I'll also volunteer David Beharall, who never seemed a bad player when I saw him play.

Yes, I don't think Holt, Henry and Armstrong were legends, but they gave their all for the club.

Ron Futcher possesed sublime control of the ball and was indeed very underrated, maybe because most of the attention was given to his brother.

Ged Keegan, over 150 appearances and rarely a wasted pass.

Edited by BP1960