100 greatest stand up comedian

boboafc

The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups

Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time!

Announcements

Monday 18 January 2010

Pick your top 10 favourite stand-up comedians!

We want your vote for the greatest stand-up comedians of all time. Back in 2006, we produced the definitive list of the top 100 comedians to take to the stage - four years on we want to see what's changed - who has still got them rolling in the aisle ...vote here i voted for ross noble

Edited by boboafc

The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups

Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time!

Announcements

Monday 18 January 2010

Pick your top 10 favourite stand-up comedians!

We want your vote for the greatest stand-up comedians of all time. Back in 2006, we produced the definitive list of the top 100 comedians to take to the stage - four years on we want to see what's changed - who has still got them rolling in the aisle ...vote here i voted for ross noble

Ditto, he's class.

The fact that Bill Hicks is not on that vast list of comedians says it all. Christ, he got something like #3 on a similar TV top 100 list not too long ago.

I voted for Daniel Kitson.

He's on the list just under Bernard Manning :blink: and he got my vote by a long way

A few great comments on there:

"I think this vote is only going to be dominated by the nutters who vote for Bill Hicks over and over again. Like me." :grin:

My ten (just in the order they are on the list) :

Bill Hicks

Billy Connolly

Frankie Boyle

Jimmy Carr

Les Dawson

Richard Pryor

Robin Williams

Steven Wright

Stewart Lee

Tommy Cooper

A few great comments on there:

"I think this vote is only going to be dominated by the nutters who vote for Bill Hicks over and over again. Like me." :grin:

My ten (just in the order they are on the list) :

Bill Hicks

Billy Connolly

Frankie Boyle

Jimmy Carr

Les Dawson

Richard Pryor

Robin Williams

Steven Wright

Stewart Lee

Tommy Cooper

Tommy Cooper, how could i forget!! always like the fact he made people laugh without swearing (i know back in those times he wouldnt have been on tele if he did, but still). Dont get me wrong i like some comedians who swear a lot in their acts but i think i appreciate Tommy more for not doing so. Also like how he implemented his use of magic tricks in his show.

Edited by Oafc88

Tommy Cooper, how could i forget!! always like the fact he made people laugh without swearing (i know back in those times he wouldnt have been on tele if he did, but still). Dont get me wrong i like some comedians who swear a lot in their acts but i think i appreciate Tommy more for not doing so. Also like how he implemented his use of magic tricks in his show.

Used to work at the Broadway Club in Failsworth and at the Golden Garter in Wythenshawe

Was fortunate enough to see TC and others including Ken Dodd, and many of the "Comedians that appeared on the Granada show

Without doubt one of the best ad libbers around had to be Bob Monkhouse

I have two very different sets of favourites were comedians are concerned, the old school comics and the new breed of comedians.

Of the old school I liked Roy Chubby Brown & Bob Monkhouse.

Of the newer comics I like Sean Lock, Frankie Boyle, Jason Manford and Ross Noble.

Although one of my all time favourite comedians who I think falls somewhere in between the 2 categories is Frank Skinner, extremely funny man, and a special mention for Bill Hicks who was brilliant.

He could even make people laugh without doing anything, absolute class.

Another Hicks fan here. I was lucky enough to see him in 92/93, he was fantastic. Just a shame he hasn't been around in the late 90s/00s - would have loved to see what he thought of the war on terror, the celebritisation of everything. Although I think he would have imploded when Dubya was elected.

the big yin.

i love observational comedy..and he's the master at it.

bernard manning/chubby brown..saw them once,both great,saw them both again years later and it was if it was virtually their same act again.see once,don't bother again(try that with manning now!)

stan boardman-saw him twice in a week and he was absolute brilliant.another observational comedian,who unfortunately seems to only associated with the "fokker" joke.."the germans bombed our chippy!" on both occasions he started the same act with the same opening 5 mins warm up,but he feeds off the audience for ideas and it completely took a different path after that..it takes guts to not really have an act sorted and planned inside your head everytime you perform IMO.

eddie murphy - delirious ...classic...peaked way to early.

Racist. :blink:

I preffered his work on big break to be honest

Lee Mack is quality, Tim Vine I saw at the lowry and laughed alot - Corny but funny.

One of the best routines has to be the Stewart Lee one about the Diana Memorial, hit the nail on the head

Edited by longtimeblue