Stadium Plans Thread

seeing the phase 2 plans have ALMOST changed my mind about Failsworth

i think the phase 2 stadium looks fantastic, with the mill town theme/design, and its something we could be proud of

for me anything less than the phase 2 stadium will be a major disappointment, because we will end up with a lego stadium

hopefully we will get outside funding to fill two of the corners in straight away - heres hoping

until then ill wait unitil the actual plans of what is being built are out and then ill fully comment

all we need now is a championship challenging team on the pitch for when (or if) we do move

and as Leesy said, we could do with something on show off Broadway with the main stand not being visible

maybe something to do with our hat making history? then we can invite the Roughyeds to play at our ground?

''we are not sharing with them'' blah blah, ''all they do is ruin the pitch'' blah blah, ''its a football pitch, not a rugby pitch'' blah blah :lol:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some people can foresee what a disastrous move opening a grocer's shop next to Tesco's would be.

Try to think a little deeper than the smart new facades.

Try to imagine yourself sat with 3000 others, while another 5 or 6 thousand others are mowing the lawn because they can't be arsed travelling to join you, or worse still, have decided they might as well go next door to the COMS to watch Premiership football for the same price.

If OAFC haven't got it right on the pitch before BP is closed, then Moston Brook will be as devoid of people on a Saturday afternoon as it is now.

But others would see an opportunity.

To have people coming in becasue:

Tescos ran out of items from time to time so then pople come in

There is not the range of items in Tescos

The serice is better

You have a chat and banter and talk about Oldham with the owner

Sometimes groups of shops bring epople to gether more

There is a green grocers 3 shops down from Tesco Express where I live and people deliverately go inth greengroces

Is this a weird viewpoint?

If phase 2 was to go ahead I would keep the horseshoe shape rather than fill in all 4 corners to keep it unique!!

If Phase 2 were to go ahead we'd have sufficient capacity for fighting it out at the top end of the Championship. If we get to that point I couldn't give a toss about uniqueness...the success enjoyed in the new ground would give us enough history and success there that filling in the remaining corners would be of little significance.

Is this a weird viewpoint?

If phase 2 was to go ahead I would keep the horseshoe shape rather than fill in all 4 corners to keep it unique!!

or when we are second in the Championship and people are being locked out . . . we will need more seats :getmecoat:

well when was the last time we filled boundry park ?

:blink:

The whole point of redevelopment is to improve and grow attendances. To use the attendances of team playing in a criminally underinvested crumbiling ground, as rationale to limit the capacity of a new state of the art stadium with revenue generating facilities, misses the whole point of moving i.e. to increase attendances.

Some great posts on here to enlighten those that could not attend - thanks to all of you that went and have spent the time to put thorough posts on here.

Overall impression is positive. It was never going to be an architechtural masterpiece, but what it looks like is a nice new stadium with decent facilities (bars, views etc) and has a bit of style in the red brick/arched windows design.

12,000 with 4 stands is to be honest more than enough for League One. Each corner appears to add 1,000 to the capacity, so an acheiveable maximum of 16,000. I'd argue that this would be enough for Championship football - may be get a few full houses against the big teams, and if we were doing well (what was the average attendance in our 90/91 season?).

It mi8ght look slight more identikit without any corners, but even so its still a nice stadium. Its not as though we are leaving a masterpice of style and hertigate is it?

I think the location of MetroLink stations is a key thing given the distance from the town centre, not sure of the distance away to the others, but it would be nice to have the dedicated £500k option taken up.

Sublte things could be done with the basic design to give a bit of style / make it look less identkit e.g.

1) The club logos on the mainstand, if these are backlit then will stand out on night matches / winter afternoons. Not very expensive, but gives it a more top division feel.

2) Some mentioned having a mill type tower in one corner, or even all four for floodlights - nice ideas but probably very expensive for pure aesthetic benefit. However one homage to that idea could be putting the stadium name in white brick on the red brick fontage like the mills - with a couple of floodlights illuminating that area so its seen at night.

3) Ambient lighting at the back of the stands / in the concours areas. The KC stadium has this, and I think it gives a different feel to the ground on darker days.

:blink:

The whole point of redevelopment is to improve and grow attendances. To use the attendances of team playing in a criminally underinvested crumbiling ground, as rationale to limit the capacity of a new state of the art stadium with revenue generating facilities, misses the whole point of moving i.e. to increase attendances.

12,000 worst case, with realistic potential to take it to 14,000 and 16,000. If we look back at average attendances when we were in the old second division in the pinch me and promotion seasons for league games - I wonder what they were compared to 16,000?

12,000 worst case, with realistic potential to take it to 14,000 and 16,000. If we look back at average attendances when we were in the old second division in the pinch me and promotion seasons for league games - I wonder what they were compared to 16,000?

If my memory serves me better than it usually does, the start of the pinch me season saw gates 4,500/5000 and by the end with the fantastic cup runs up to around 8,000 for average league games. ST sales the next season soared and we went up.

was it a death trap say 6 years ago?

From what I remember of it, yeah, pretty much.

Has it got worse? Sure. That's the nature of old structures like the Main stand, they deteriorate and the deterioration speeds up over time.

There's only so many times you can paint over the cracks.

I understand that Travelodge was one of the hotel chains with an interest in one of the corners though currently it's not a goer for them. Other chains are maybe interested.

Travelodge already have two hotels in oldham dont they, what was formerly the avant and in chadderton near the boat and horses