Stadium Plans Thread

... I'm just filling in for Terry/DS while he and Mrs S. go look at the proposals! :lol:

OK we're back. Thanks for holding the fort. :grin:

Here we go. I’ve glanced through some of the other posts. Nobody stopped me taking pictures, although when I asked if I could take a picture of the drawing showing all the different uses on the site I was told “no but thanks for asking“.

I was there for about one and three quarter hours and heard explanations of the proposals from Alan Hardy and Anna Kocerhan.

The consultation on the initial plan is proceeding on the basis of the Council having told the Club that the Memorial Park land can be leased to the Club on a long lease for the sole use as a stadium. This would mean that the Club could not sell the land for any other use. Having been assured of this twice by the Charity Commissioners, the Council is still awaiting a third and final (‘belt & braces‘) response from the Charity Commissioners to ensure that there will be no comebacks if the proposed development proceeds.

Phase 1 is for a stadium of four separate stands with a capacity of 12,000. Because the orientation of the stadium has to avoid the sun shining into the main stand, it means that the main stand will not be visible from Broadway. This is a shame because the main stand façade is the most impressive.

4331025630_a71fe6de8e_b.jpg

It is to be designed to reflect Oldham’s heritage as a mill town. This will be done by the use of red bricks (instead of the normal concrete blocks clad in uPVC panels), windows rounded at the top and towers with a feature on top to resemble the lines of the towers on the corner of cotton mills. There will be a wall of commemorative bricks for purchase by fans.

4331025104_7b0c245377_b.jpg

The main stand will include at ground level all the facilities housed in the main stand at BP, plus a Restaurant, Mascots’ Room and a Sports Bar, the latter being open also on non-match days for fans to drink and watch TV sport. At the upper level will be the function suites to raise income.

4331024566_1f46c4e2f4_b.jpg

Also to raise income all year round will be an area of five-a-side pitches and a commercial leisure area.

Phase 2 of the stadium development will see the corners filled, increasing the capacity to 16,000 - the drawings/pictures show two of the corners completed.

4331026704_7bb5d88569_b.jpg

4330288665_e531c6688f_b.jpg

The facilities in the corners could include a hotel, offices, etc., dependant on the partners who are willing to use those areas. If partners come onboard early the corners could be included in the planning application. If not, there would have to be a separate later planning application for the known uses.

The Lancaster Club (Listed Building) may be used a a pub/restaurant.

Discussions have taken place about traffic arrangements and the Club may have to provide a traffic light junction on Broadway.

Discussions have also taken place about the inclusion of a Metrolink station, but this is doubtful because of the relatively close proximity of two existing stations.

After considering the comments from this consultation, a further consultation opportunity will be announced soon, possibly to be held at the Lancaster Club, and there will be a leaflet-drop for residents.

Hope this helps those who couldn't attend.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go. I’ve glanced through some of the other posts. Nobody stopped me taking pictures, although when I asked if I could take a picture of the drawing showing all the different uses on the site I was told “no but thanks for asking“.

I was there for about one and three quarter hours and heard explanations of the proposals from Alan Hardy and Anna Kocerhan.

The consultation on the initial plan is proceeding on the basis of the Council having told the Club that the Memorial Park land can be leased to the Club on a long lease for the sole use as a stadium. This would mean that the Club could not sell the land for any other use. Having been assured of this twice by the Charity Commissioners, the Council is still awaiting a third and final (‘belt & braces‘) response from the Charity Commissioners to ensure that there will be no comebacks if the proposed development proceeds.

Phase 1 is for a stadium of four separate stands with a capacity of 12,000. Because the orientation of the stadium has to avoid the sun shining into the main stand, it means that the main stand will not be visible from Broadway. This is a shame because the main stand façade is the most impressive.

It is to be designed to reflect Oldham’s heritage as a mill town. This will be done by the use of red bricks (instead of the normal concrete blocks clad in uPVC panels), windows rounded at the top and towers with a feature on top to resemble the lines of the towers on the corner of cotton mills. There will be a wall of commemorative bricks for purchase by fans.

The main stand will include at ground level all the facilities housed in the main stand at BP, plus a Restaurant, Mascots’ Room and a Sports Bar, the latter being open also on non-match days for fans to drink and watch TV sport. At the upper level will be the function suites to raise income.

Also to raise income all year round will be an area of five-a-side pitches and a commercial leisure area.

Phase 2 of the stadium development will see the corners filled, increasing the capacity to 16,000 - the drawings/pictures show two of the corners completed.

The facilities in the corners could include a hotel, offices, etc., dependant on the partners who are willing to use those areas. If partners come onboard early the corners could be included in the planning application. If not, there would have to be a separate later planning application for the known uses.

Discussions have taken place about traffic arrangements and the Club may have to provide a traffic light junction on Broadway.

Discussions have also taken place about the inclusion of a Metrolink station, but this is doubtful because of the relatively close proximity of two existing stations.

After considering the comments from this consultation, a further consultation opportunity will be announced soon, possibly to be held at the Lancaster Club, and there will be a leaflet-drop for residents.

Fantastic Diego, as ususal and Mr Hardy must like you to allow you to get some piccies, he defo ask two fans there not to take any. Thanks.

See you at Tranmere

Pretty much the gist I got too Terry, if you can go public with your pics then so can I! :grin::wink:

Mr Hardy must like you to allow you to get some piccies, he defo ask two fans there not to take any. Thanks.

Pretty much the gist I got too Terry, if you can go public with your pics then so can I! :grin::wink:

I wasn't stopped from taking pics and I didn't ask for permission, but I did ask about taking one of the land use drawing.

anyone ever ventured around batley or some of the london suburbs....oldham for all its problems has some loverly countryside some down to earth folk and a bloody good footie club...open your eyes and stop seeing what u want to see that's what i say

although a very large chunk of that lovely countryside only became part of Oldham at the same time as Failsworth!

I like the red brick mill town theme but I'm not keen on those air vent looking structures that are supposed to look like the corners of mills, they wouldn't be seen from the ground anway.

If they want to go the Cotton Mill hertitage way then they shoud include a prominent tower like all mills seemed to have

maple-mill-1.jpg

A mill chimney at each corner of the ground used as floodlight pylons would be nice too :grin:

Having been one of the most questioning people of the move to Failsworth I though I would let you know my thoughts. Take them or leave them.

Only just got back after going to BP and popping in to see the parents on the way back.

I must admit I am very impressed. What I thought was being delivered and what I saw tonight where somewhat different. It looks good and there seems to be a real ambition to include some really good facilities. Something that won me over was the look in Alan Hardys eye when I was talking to him on his way home. He seems really excited and sold on the whole project. Don't ask me why but he filled me with some confidence over the whole development.

What I was told by Alan was the plan is to have a 12,000 minimum stadium in phase one (this might mean something slightly smaller like 11,700 depending on the configuration). Alan said they are not sure on the exact configuration for various reasons might be four stands or four stands with corners but they would look to start with 12,000 seater. No one mentioned 10,000 to me tonight. I told Alan that for me personally it really needs to be more in the region of 12,000 than 10,000.

Like to add that the position in Failsworth will it make much easier for me to get to and will enable me to go to night games.

Diegos post joins up with everything I was told tonight. I was told to stop taking Photos :)

I like what is being included in the main stand in phase one and I like what would follow in phase two.

Now it comes down to will this vision be delivered or will it be downscaled. Who knows... But I think if they make this vision (and I know its only an early vision) then it would have my backing and I think we would be left with something ok.

Alan joked at me on the way out, I know you weren't sold on it when you went it but you are now aren't you. I think I am...

Now its over to the TTA to break there six year habit and bloody deliver something.

Still got some concerns / questions but I am defo one foot off the fence now and one foot in the yes camp...

Sorry for rambling.... Back to my cave now... :)

They said though depending on the backing they get, the two corners may be filled in from the off

i hope they do because that would create a decent atmosphere and seperate the away fans. maybe a big scoreboard like they planned at one point could go in one of the empty corners...

and the designs look nice. i would prefer to be a little closer to the actoin or tiers but i would be happy to go to that ground and support oldham

Yeah, it looks nice. It's good to see it but that means very little. That isn't actually what it'll look like and it'll still be outside Oldham.

Can't help thinking it's just pretty pictures to impress those in support of the move; win over a few fence-straddlers; and maybe raise the volume of their opinion a little, over that of the objectors. And 'consultation' is just a euphemism for "This is how it's gonna be (or at least how we want you lot to think it's gonna be)".

I won't be able to convince you otherwise, but there were forms available which people were being encouraged to complete stating their views and suggestions.

Excellent stuff Diego. I'm quite impressed with that main stand design - I was hoping some traditional Lancashire brickwork might be incorporated somehow.

I LOVE the idea of using red brick as it is a great symbol of Oldham etc... The plans looked more yellow than red though... Hopefully that yellow/browny will become red brick :)

I like the red brick mill town theme but I'm not keen on those air vent looking structures that are supposed to look like the corners of mills, they wouldn't be seen from the ground anway.

If they want to go the Cotton Mill hertitage way then they shoud include a prominent tower like all mills seemed to have

A mill chimney at each corner of the ground used as floodlight pylons would be nice too :grin:

I would suggest that you, and anyone else with suggestions, email them to the Club ASAP while this consultation process is taking place.