Gutted for the guy. The 1 player who everyone knows wants to do whatever he can for England. Will definitly miss his influence behind the scenes and his ability to come off the bench and either score or set someone up from a set piece.

Thanks for the memories Becks

I'll never forget the celebrations after that goal against Greece for as long as I shall live. Oh and the one's that followed the goal against the Argies either. He turned it round after the incident in 98 and went on to be a great servant for England. Just a shame he couldnt have one last hurrah.

I'm not sure this will be the end of his career- its not like he was a pacy midfielder and he's not that old. However, I can't see him playing again for England, certainly not in another major tournament.

I initally thought he was overrated but he got us to Japan on his own (simply by being the only Englishman who gave a :censored: when we played Greece) and he has been a good servant for his country from the 6 months after France 98.

Cheers Becks and if this is the end of your career you had a good one.

Would have been in the squad and would have made a good sub.

Saying that though England shouldn't have to rely on a 32 year old who's best days are behind him. We have wide players in abundance (Wright Phillips, Lennon, J Cole, Bentley, Downing, Walcott, Young, Joe Colbeck).

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Saying that though England shouldn't have to rely on a 32 year old who's best days are behind him. We have wide players in abundance (Wright Phillips, Lennon, J Cole, Bentley, Downing, Walcott, Young, Joe Colbeck).

:lol:

You clearly do not recognise the importance of having experience in and around the dressing room....

Gutted for the guy but can't see why it's a massive blow. If he's such a great dressing room presence then make him a nominal coach and he can still come, job done. But I don't believe we were or should be relying on a one-paced midfielder at the twilight of his international career, no matter how good he once was.

Gutted for the guy but can't see why it's a massive blow. If he's such a great dressing room presence then make him a nominal coach and he can still come, job done. But I don't believe we were or should be relying on a one-paced midfielder at the twilight of his international career, no matter how good he once was.

I don't we was relying on him... People are says its a massive blow to the squad overall...

Your other idea is a fine one, if he can be arsed...

32? If he was 32 he'd be starting! He's just short of 35 and, for me, still worthy of a place in the squad on merit. The other players you mention, maybe bar Cole and SWP, are so far short of the standard that Sky pundits have duped the English public into believing they are that it's comical. :laught16:

On the brightside, no Beckham means no nagging guilts about my lack of good wishes toward the 'England' team.

It's tough on him as a player, but the media circus surrounding Beckham may have detracted from the squad's togetherness. Now he will be able to act as the F.A.'s ambassador in South Africa, to attend the many functions and photo-opportunities, and continue his his role in promoting England's bid for the 2018 World Cup. It will take the media pressure off Capello and the squad.

Also Posh and the kids will be able to accompany him.

His next photo-opportunity has already been announced on the news this morning - it's 2:00pm today in Finland.

Was a good player but overated, yes was an excelent free kick against Greece, but he screwed up the Argie game, and took that awful penalty against Portugal a few years later. They say his experience would have been an asset in the world cup but I feel we have more than enough experience in the likes of, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry and Owen (if he makes it). We wont miss him that much, time to move on.

Edited by RoytonLatics

His England experience mainly comprises of failure to deliver on the biggest stage. He was a good player in his day, but he is past it now and he isn't really that big a loss to the squad. It's a shame for him that it's ended like this, but he has had a good career and made a hell of a lot of money...he won't be getting too much sympathy from me.

It's just no where near the "blow" that people are making it out to be. He's over the hill. He'd have been a good sub, and yes a great presence in the squad but at the end of the day we've got other players who should step up to the plate.

As I've said before, if England do anything at this World Cup it will be because of Rooney.

Was a good player but overated, yes was an excelent free kick against Greece, but he screwed up the Argie game, and took that awful penalty against Portugal a few years later. They say his experience would have been an asset in the world cup but I feel we have more than enough experience in the likes of, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry and Owen (if he makes it). We wont miss him that much, time to move on.

Gerrard should be allowed no where near the England squad, you want overrated....look it up in the dictionary you will see Gerrard's name.