General Election

I have always objected to people not using their vote.

I fear spoiling my ballot paper might be the only way of expressing myself.

Spoiling your paper in my eyes is voting, as you say, it is something of a protest and the number of spoiled votes are recorded. Not bothering to get out of bed and use what little power we have is the wrong thing in my eyes.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always objected to people not using their vote.

I fear spoiling my ballot paper might be the only way of expressing myself.

Towards the end of the election count, the candidates gather round to look at the all the spoiled papers to agree that they have indeed been spoiled. If you want to send a personal message to your future MP, a note scrawled on the ballot paper is perhaps the best way to do it.

I think you should make a choice though. You don't get what you want, but then no one does. That's the beauty of making a positive decision.

Billy Bragg has a chat with BNP Candidate: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/ap...chard-barnbrook

It's a shame Labour isn't what it used to be. In the eighties you knew what Thatcher was saying and where the Tories where coming from. And on the other hand one also understood the Labour stance with Foot/Kinnock - there was a definitate contrast in their politics.

Now they're all the same Blair, Brown, Cameron, all talk the same old - too similar.

Billy Bragg has a chat with BNP Candidate: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/ap...chard-barnbrook

It's a shame Labour isn't what it used to be. In the eighties you knew what Thatcher was saying and where the Tories where coming from. And on the other hand one also understood the Labour stance with Foot/Kinnock - there was a definitate contrast in their politics.

Now they're all the same Blair, Brown, Cameron, all talk the same old - too similar.

That's the nature of the beast. When the Government spends half the country's money, employs (directly or indirectly) a massive swathe of the working population, subsidises millions more not to work, has a finger in controlling every aspect of national life through regulation and legislation, and most of this done at a centralised or international level, no party can hope to change much. Look at the fuss made over the NI tax thing, it's really fairly marginal either way when you look at the size of government spending/debt but it was made out to be some huge political chasm

Labour isn't what it used to be? Without Blair's reformation of the Labour party and the removal of clause 4, Labour would never have been elected again in a million years. Cameron has not and will not reform his party, or his parties laissez faire approach to free market, which has now proved to be flawed.

There are huge differences between the Labour party and the Conservative Party; I would suggest spending a bit of time reading both parties' manifesto if you don't agree. It appears that most people have become obessed with the X Factor Presidential style debates, where leaders are not giving anything away, which could lose them votes.

Under Blair Labour where very much a centre party... Under Brown it has drifted left again but is still very much centrally grounded. It is a long way from the far left party it was pre Blair etc.

Problem (if it is one) with politics is the parties are all very centrally based as that is where the votes are at the moment but there are some differences still between them all.

Edited by oafc0000

That's right, that's what I said. Labour isn't what it used to be. Was it too difficult to grasp without asking me to read current manifestos? (something which I have done).

You clearly haven't read them in enough detail, if you believe that both parties will Govern the country in the same manner, with the same policies. I'm not going to repeat myself, as to the reasons why Labour had to change however, for fear of patronising you.

You clearly haven't read them in enough detail, if you believe that both parties will Govern the country in the same manner, with the same policies. I'm not going to repeat myself, as to the reasons why Labour had to change however, for fear of patronising you.

I see what you're getting at love, I'm just glad others have explained it better than you did. Thanks for trying anyway.

politics! brings out the best and worst in everyone! I personally do not know who to vote for, I can see some huge flaws in every system,

Tories- promises galore and no news about how it will be paid for, which is extremely worrying

Lib Dems - seem to have a few policies which are questionable, and their is a real risk factor surronding them, dont seem to be putting everything up front for all to see

Labour - see past 13 years, some good policies, but seem to have a bit of a reluctance to explain their actions on questionable ones, seems that with labour you only get answers to your questions and concerns when;

1) its too late and its already done

2) its election time

all parties dont seem to be trying to be the best leaders for the country, they seen to be trying to do just enough to win, being the lesser of 3 evils so to speak

Take a look at this... http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

Conservatives 66.6%

UKIP 16.7%

BNP ?? 16.7%

Not surprised I stacked up on Tory polices but UKIP and BNP ??

Apparently I agree with the BNP on welfare and UKIP on the Ecconmy so its not too bad

Still voting for Labour mind

Actually I dont understand how it came out like that so heavily for the Torys as I don't agree with there qouta idea etc or there idea to set up those stupid schools.

Edited by oafc0000

25% each for Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem and Green Party.

Didn't bother expanding though. Might give it another go later.

I glazed over when I started reading.

I am really not remotely engaged politically, possible for the first time since I was about 10 years old.

MAybe we should ask Gordon, it's him that has lead us to the state where not only has the headline unemployment figure is rising and likely to continue to go up

Headline unemployment? Is that the same as the official figures, the latest of which showed a decline in unemployment?

In the year to February, CPI inflation fell to 3.0%, from 3.5% in January. Downward pressure came mainly from average gas bills being lower than a year ago."

So now that you know the truth, are you going to vote for the macro-economic success story?

VOTE LABOUR

I was of course aware that they had been a statistically insignificant drop in the last reported unemployment figures. They will rise again. It’s an odd definition of success to be on the verge of bankruptcy, it’s certainly not the End of Boom and Bust.

And on here too. LL clearly repeated the nonsense he'd read on unemployment, make-believe jobs, statistical scams and repossessions and got them all wrong.

UK unemployment increases to 2.5 million

Job centre

The latest figures give a mixed picture of the UK labour market

The number of people unemployed in the UK rose by 43,000 to 2.5 million during the three months to February, official figures have shown.

The jobless total is now at its highest since 1994.

The rate of unemployment now stands at 8% - the highest since 1996 - the Office for National Statistics said.

However, the total number of people claiming unemployment benefit fell in March by 32,900 to 1.54 million - a much sharper fall than expected.

The ONS figures showed youth unemployment rising, with 929,000 16 to 24-year-olds out of work in the December to February period - a rise of 4,000 on the previous three months. Unemployment among the over-50s rose by 7,000 to 396,000.

CHANGES IN UNEMPLOYMENT TOTALS ACROSS THE UK

Yorks/Humber: Up 13,000 to 253,000

East Midlands: Up 13,000 to 180,000

North West: Up 11,000 to 290,000

East: Up 11,000 to 198,000

South East: Up 11,000 to 284,000

Wales: Up 10,000 to 131,000

Scotland: Up 6,000 to 208,000

South West: No change - 170,000

Northern Ireland: Down 1,000 to 53,000

North East: Down 3,000 to 120,000

West Midlands: Down 6,000 to 253,000

London: Down 22,000 to 363,000

Source: ONS

Unemployment in graphics

There was also a rise in the number of people classed as economically inactive - those out of work and not seeking work.

They rose by 110,000 to a record total of 8.16 million, equivalent to 21.5% of the population.

UK inflation rate rises to 3.4%

Higher petrol prices have contributed to the rise in inflation

The UK inflation rate rose sharply to 3.4% in March from 3% the month before, official figures have shown.

The rise in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) inflation rate was greater than analysts had expected.

Retail Prices Index (RPI) inflation, which includes housing costs, also rose sharply to 4.4% in March from 3.7%.

Whoops.

Whoops.

When you first said that, you were wrong. WRONG. You just made it up. You've obviously learned to wait for the stats before pronouncing a load of old rubbish.

Confirm or correct the notion that 8% unemployment is lower than during the Tory recessions?

I'll give you a clue. It's much lower.

Whoops.

The Tories deliberately created unemployment, and would do again given half a chance.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

When you first said that, you were wrong. WRONG. You just made it up. You've obviously learned to wait for the stats before pronouncing a load of old rubbish.

Confirm or correct the notion that 8% unemployment is lower than during the Tory recessions?

I'll give you a clue. It's much lower.

Whoops.

The Tories deliberately created unemployment, and would do again given half a chance.

If you look a little more closer, you will see that the number of people claiming the dole fell, whilst the number of jobless rose. Care to say anything about your rubbishing of my claim that Gordy has been finding ways to disguise the real totals through made up jobs and other scams?

As for what the Tories did in 1981, it's got very little to do with where Gordy has taken us to now. I believe that the Tories did know that there would be much higher unemployment in the 1980s, it's a genuine shame that so many people had been tricked into having a safe job that was build on borrowed sand, just as it is now.

If you look a little more closer, you will see that the number of people claiming the dole fell, whilst the number of jobless rose. Care to say anything about your rubbishing of my claim that Gordy has been finding ways to disguise the real totals through made up jobs and other scams?

As for what the Tories did in 1981, it's got very little to do with where Gordy has taken us to now. I believe that the Tories did know that there would be much higher unemployment in the 1980s, it's a genuine shame that so many people had been tricked into having a safe job that was build on borrowed sand, just as it is now.

You originally said that the headline rate of unemployment had risen when it clearly had not. You made up one set of stats and now claim that you've been vindicated by another. Such bull:censored:.

What's your explanation for the fact that more people are economically inactive and yet there are fewer claimants? Mine's education, which isn't a bad thing, unless you're a Tory and you prefer people to be on the dole, communities to go to :censored:, old people to get mugged, families torn apart and general social chaos.

Take a look at this... http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

Interesting.

I haven't actually read any of the manifestos yet, but I reckon I could attach the parties to their lists of policies across all those subjects and get it maybe 80% right.

I tried to view each set of policies with a neutral eye and select the best overall combination in each case. Sometimes there were individual policies that I'd agree with more strongly, but they'd be listed alongside other policies I disagreed with completely.

Lo and behold, it turns out I'm 100% Lib Dem. I thought I may gain a hint of blue and green... although mostly I'm just glad I didn't slide into the red. :wink:

What's your explanation for the fact that more people are economically inactive and yet there are fewer claimants? Mine's education...

My explanation is a combination of inaccurate statistics, incompetence in the DWP and the inexorable rise of the NEET (young adults Not in Employment, Education or Training) under Labour.

Edited by garcon

What's your explanation for the fact that more people are economically inactive and yet there are fewer claimants? Mine's education, which isn't a bad thing, unless you're a Tory and you prefer people to be on the dole, communities to go to :censored:, old people to get mugged, families torn apart and general social chaos.

The point is that they are on the dole, you plank. You have the stats at your fingertips, give us the annual year by year figures for people on the sick (in all it's forms) over the last 20 years? And education is bollocks, what makes you think it's a good thing if people who want a job are forced to stay on doing something they didn't think was worthwhile, just because Gordy has screwed the jobs market?

The point is that they are on the dole, you plank. You have the stats at your fingertips, give us the annual year by year figures for people on the sick (in all it's forms) over the last 20 years? And education is bollocks, what makes you think it's a good thing if people who want a job are forced to stay on doing something they didn't think was worthwhile, just because Gordy has screwed the jobs market?

Why don't you look them up since you're the one making the assertion about them?

Would it make you angry (or angrier) if there has been an increase in the number of people not working because they are incapacitated? Basically, you would like people who are sick or injured or who have suffered industrial accidents to be made poor as a result. Shame on you, Tory Boy.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill