Tom Eaves

So - 'a :censored: hole club like ours'? wtf? This is the club that you (supposedly) support and you come out with a comment like that? We may have a few problems at the moment (three sided ground, dwindling support, dodgy dave in charge etc.) but this is still a decent club with good people and does not deserve that sort of comment.

As for the 'get narky with him' comment - I prefer to see it as adopting a strong approach that let's Tom know where he stands - he has great potential but should accept that he has not yet done anything in this game - yes he has the right to make his own decision but I still believe his approach and attitude are poorly advised.

And as for making the kid think about moving on - I think he is way beyond that at the moment :blink:

Stole my thunder with that……

‘Penney handling (sic) of this is childish & stupid’ – your opinion obviously; but mine is that you are massively wrong in that. I think that he’s absolutely bob on with how he’s decided / the club has decided to go. If Tom isn’t prepared to sign the tabled contract and is just waiting to sign on for anyone else; then IMO it’s absolutely right that he is kept away from the 1st team picture; as what benefit would it have to us for him to be involved?

- If clubs are interested in signing Tom; then they will have no doubt had him watched on a number of occasions previously so any more appearances from him will make little difference to their scouts opinions.

- If he plays & gets a bad injury; then it will potentially jeopardise any transfer

- It sets a really poor example and a shocking precedent for other youth team lads to follow; a ‘I’ll knock the club’s offer back – but I’ll continue to be aloud to play for the 1st team whilst I wait for my big move’.

- We might as well use the remaining fixtures; both 1st team & reserve to look at the likes of Brooke & Lewis A getting 90mins; as they might be here next season – it looks increasing likely that Tom Eaves wont be; so what’s the point in playing him?

As for the “:censored: hole club” comment; then it really has to be said that if you seriously believe that; then you really might as well completely distance yourself from OAFC; and go the hole hog and do-one completely; instead of just not attending any games at all…….

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the “:censored: hole club” comment; then it really has to be said that if you seriously believe that; then you really might as well completely distance yourself from OAFC; and go the hole hog and do-one completely; instead of just not attending any games at all…….

You might have a point... Thing is, I don't think a lot of people disagree with me :( I don't want to pack it in... I just want it to sort itself out...

Just to correct you though, I did attend one game last season...and it would of been one or two more if it was not for circumstance working against that...

Edited by oafc0000

OK, Eaves was an Oliver Twist type street urchin until kindly great-uncle Philliskirk adopted him and took him into the bosom of his family. Now he has repaid him by shagging his daughter and running away with the silver candlesticks. I say he should be shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...ble/default.stm

I suppose the table lies <_<

Don't make me pull up the results pages :) This is meant to be a family friendly forum... We don't need any horror story's :)

:huh::unsure:

Sorry, you've lost me with that.

I was commenting on you calling Latics a :censored: club (even though you are supposed to be a fan) from your computer in Warrington, you're comments would carry at least some credibility if you got your arse down to BP more than once a season.

Incidentally as this is the Tom Eaves thread, have you seen him play even one minute of football?

I don't think he was involved in the Exeter home game this season. :wink:

:huh::unsure:

Sorry, you've lost me with that.

I was commenting on you calling Latics a :censored: club (even though you are supposed to be a fan) from your computer in Warrington, you're comments would carry at least some credibility if you got your arse down to BP more than once a season.

You know something stopped me from going you know.... I used to go to every game <_<

Incidentally as this is the Tom Eaves thread, have you seen him play even one minute of football?

Is that relevant ? Penney dropped him due to not signing a contract and not due to his abilities...

Edited by oafc0000

You know something stopped me from going you know.... I used to go to every game <_<

Is that relevant ? Penney dropped him due to not signing a contract and not due to his abilities...

He has never actually started a first team game so dropping him might be slightly overstating his case a little, he was effectively only dropped from the bench.

Currently he is not ready for the first team, as he proved when he played the second half against Southend.

Penney has got this one right for me, Eaves is getting ideas above his current station, he is a long way from being in the big time yet, as I said further up the thread he needs to get some first team starts and some first team goals under his belt before he starts demanding more money.

He has never actually started a first team game so dropping him might be slightly overstating his case a little, he was effectively only dropped from the bench.

Currently he is not ready for the first team, as he proved when he played the second half against Southend.

Penney has got this one right for me, Eaves is getting ideas above his current station, he is a long way from being in the big time yet, as I said further up the thread he needs to get some first team starts and some first team goals under his belt before he starts demanding more money.

I'll say it again! How do you know what ideas Eaves is getting ideas of!?

For all we know he's just looking at his options and will eventually accept the contract already offered to him! There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! He's probably only had the offer on the table for a month or so... that's not all that long to consider an offer really.

You and many others are attacking with some vigour a kid, based on no evidence of any kind.

So likewise, stating he won't be played seems fool hardy and does nothing to encourage him to stay. Maybe the club want him to go ? No doubt we will be due some healthy compensation if he did go ?

Edited by oafc0000

For all we know he's just looking at his options and will eventually accept the contract already offered to him! There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! He's probably only had the offer on the table for a month or so... that's not all that long to consider an offer really.

You and many others are attacking with some vigour a kid, based on no evidence of any kind.

He's an 18 year old youth team player with 0 first team starts and 0 first team goals, he is the only one of the group offered deals that has not signed.

Anyone can read into that what they want, he is as yet not good enough for a first team start at a lowly league 1 club, now to me he either wants a better offer or he wants a better club, I don't think its unreasonable to draw that conclusion.

If either of those scenario's is not the case then why would he stall on signing.

He's an 18 year old youth team player with 0 first team starts and 0 first team goals, he is the only one of the group offered deals that has not signed.

Anyone can read into that what they want, he is as yet not good enough for a first team start at a lowly league 1 club, now to me he either wants a better offer or he wants a better club, I don't think its unreasonable to draw that conclusion.

If either of those scenario's is not the case then why would he stall on signing.

He's also the only one being linked with other clubs, to my knowledge. He's also the only one to have a prolonged run of games from that group - sub or otherwise.

The point remains that you know nothing, or that if you do you're not saying, about the situation beyond a one-sided article on the official site.

What if Tom's thinking about leaving football as it's not for him? Unlikely, but possible. The point is you and many others are going beyond reasoned debate and instead ranting at a teenager over a situation for which you have limited or no 'inside' knowledge of.

Just a couple of things that people seem to be overlooking, apart from the fact thet we really know pretty much naff all about the ins and outs of this topic;

1. The word 'Agent' may be the key factor here. It could simply be that the club are simply refusing to deal with, or pay an agent, which pretty much does seem to be the club's general intention, after the lad has for whatever reason got himself an agent, who it has not been mentioned I don't think whether it is his dad or similar. Tom may not so much be looking at his options, but rather more be stuck in a hole where now, someone has to pay the agent either xx% or £xx, and the club doesn't want to, and obviously taking the hit himself could be devastating for his own wage. Who knows..

2. On the question of loyalty, this is not a situation where loyalty necessarily is an issue, though personally I would say he probably should at least sign his first contract, if possible. The club's investment in him is automatically protected by the fact that he is under 24 and we have OFFERED him a contract; if he goes elsewhere we get compensation, and FA tribunals tend to stick in follow on clauses too (See Stephens' deal). So no matter what, if he signs or goes, we should get payback for his development. In fact, it can be argued as mentioned previously, that him leaving now might leave the club in profit, especially if he does not make it.

Again, who know...

He's also the only one being linked with other clubs, to my knowledge. He's also the only one to have a prolonged run of games from that group - sub or otherwise.

By the same score what knowledge do you have about the multitude of clubs that are interested in Eaves?

The point remains that you know nothing, or that if you do you're not saying, about the situation beyond a one-sided article on the official site.

Would you have done the article with very much a double sided slant, there appears to still be some bitterness about your exit from the club.

What if Tom's thinking about leaving football as it's not for him? Unlikely, but possible. The point is you and many others are going beyond reasoned debate and instead ranting at a teenager over a situation for which you have limited or no 'inside' knowledge of.

Bloody hell I think you're clutching at straws there.

Anyway we are clearly going to continue to disagree about this, so each to his own.

With regards to compensation, Wiki says that we signed him from Crewe at 15 - meaning that our investment in him is minimal and may limit the compensation we receive.

It also puts the 'loyalty' into perspective if he's only been with the club for three years...

With regards to compensation, Wiki says that we signed him from Crewe at 15 - meaning that our investment in him is minimal and may limit the compensation we receive.

It also puts the 'loyalty' into perspective if he's only been with the club for three years...

Yes, and one of the main points of the FA tribunals is to make sure that transfer fees do reflect the investment made, as well as future potential.

Although, I would argue against saying our investment has been minimal. After age 15, isn't he one of quite a small number of trainees in that 'year band', so I suspect there will have been quite a focus on him in the last two or three years.

Most people on here are reading into the club's decision to go public on this and assuming, rightly or wrongly that Eaves is the bad guy.

Other players have taken time to sign new deals but this is the first time I've known a manager (presumably with the backing of the owners), to freeze a player out of the first team.

I'll reserve judgement on the matter but you know what they say, 'there's no smoke without fire'.

Would you have done the article with very much a double sided slant, there appears to still be some bitterness about your exit from the club.

No, I'd almost certainly have written the article from the same stance with whatever information Alan Hardy decided I should have, even if still at the club I would never have been privy to any more information than is available now.

However as a 'consumer' of this information you have to put it into context. It is by its very nature a one-sided story and so people leaping to statements about Eaves' loyalty and the like are premature at best.

Have kept quiet on this thread so far but have to say I agree with Ackey 100 percent, people are birating the kid without a shred of evidence.

At the end of the day, he has apparently had interest in his services from other clubs, and like any right minded person would, perhaps he is merely considering his options and doing what's best for him. Since when has this accounted to someone having an 'attitude problem'?

If he isnt going to be playing regularly here next season then maybe, just maybe, he may think it is better for him to continue his development at a championship club with better facilities and on more money, who will loan him out to a club where he will develop and play week in week out?

Have kept quiet on this thread so far but have to say I agree with Ackey 100 percent, people are birating the kid without a shred of evidence.

Isn't that just the internet though? People commennting only on the full cold facts? Nah, it'll never catch on that.

Comments posted on this thread can only be based on the statement released from the club as that is the only information we have to go on.

No doubt in the fullness of time (whether he stays or goes) more information will come out, it will be very interesting to re-visit this thread at a later date.

Comments posted on this thread can only be based on the statement released from the club as that is the only information we have to go on.

No doubt in the fullness of time (whether he stays or goes) more information will come out, it will be very interesting to re-visit this thread at a later date.

Indeed, and if it turns out that he did act like a total git I will accept criticism of him... for the time being though people who are berating him and using terms like 'disloyal' and 'brat' are, for me, wrong to do so.

So why do you keep going on about if I have seen him play or not :blink::wink: