Tom Eaves

This talk about how he should "show loyalty" to us for "giving him his chance" is total bollocks. We aren't a charity, if he wasn't cutting the mustard we'd have binned him off like we do with loads of other kids, he's doing better than average so he is considering offers from elsewhere, what's the difference? We have the youth scheme because it makes financial sense, not because we like to see the smiles on their little faces. And how did we get Porter again?

...and Stephens?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree. u realy think an 18 year old player who has made a handfull of subs appearances and scored no goals should be encouraged to get whatever he can out of a small football club who have given him the chance in the first place? he should be greatfull we gave him a chance and helped develop his ability and show some gratitude and sign a contract thats on offer

well put there,A little loyalty now and then please .We the fans do our bit can the players show some consideration to us during there carreers..

sign the fcukin contract or fcuk of to barrow young man...

Our record with promising young youth lads who've scored in the ressies and youth for fun isn't exactly great though is it. Hall, Barlow, Wolfenden, Brooke & Alessendra.

Not exactly great? It's awful.

At what point is it all going wrong? Is Philliskirk making crap players look good? Are we playing too softer a game in the youth/reserves? Are the fans too much for the kids to handle? Are we just not blooding them at the right time?

I understand if the club feel that Eaves wants to leave they are not putting him in the shop window by playing him in the last two games of the season, but on the flip side if he was to score a couple before the end of the season perhaps his valuation would go up just a little bit more.

Either way, I'm not too fussed about Eaves, we've got bigger fish to fry. As BigFin said in another thread, how are we going to convince the quality of players we need to improve our squad drastically, to join us at the end of the season, and how will we afford them over potential competition.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

well put there,A little loyalty now and then please .We the fans do our bit can the players show some consideration to us during there carreers..

sign the fcukin contract or fcuk of to barrow young man...

Were the club loyal to Parker when they let him go after a year, presumably using a clause within his contract, despite it being widely publicised he was on a two year deal (including the article on the official site when he signed)? No.

Loyalty is a two-way street. We've let Parker go as we think we can do better, why should young Tom not be allowed to do the same, if he thinks he can do better?

Were the club loyal to Parker when they let him go after a year, presumably using a clause within his contract, despite it being widely publicised he was on a two year deal (including the article on the official site when he signed)? No.

Loyalty is a two-way street. We've let Parker go as we think we can do better, why should young Tom not be allowed to do the same, if he thinks he can do better?

I think the Paul Warne situation would have been a better example than Parker.

Is that really true ???? Havent we let Parker go because we opted not to trigger the second year of his contract because Parker should no interested in playing for us and his performances were embarrassing??

If a player shows committment to the cause or shown he can perfomr at the level the fans and management isnt that only then we should opted to allow his second year to be activated.. i.e, Les Poggy?

parker was hounded out of this club by the fan's and that's a fact...Incidently i myself never wanted him to leave .but when he was substituted during his last game for us At that point i felt it best all round that he left ...the booing of him was dispicable

I think the Paul Warne situation would have been a better example than Parker.

I wanted to choose a less emotive example.

Is that really true ???? Havent we let Parker go because we opted not to trigger the second year of his contract because Parker should no interested in playing for us and his performances were embarrassing??

If a player shows committment to the cause or shown he can perfomr at the level the fans and management isnt that only then we should opted to allow his second year to be activated.. i.e, Les Poggy?

You've proved my point though... contractually both Parker and Eaves are free agents and can do as they please, conversely Latics can choose to offer a contract to either, both or neither.

We have no right to demand loyalty from Eaves unless we're willing to offer contracts to every player we have ever let go. It's ludicrous.

Parker was hounded out of this club by the fans and that's a fact...Incidently I myself never wanted him to leave, but when he was substituted during his last game for us; at that point I felt it best all round that he left ...the booing of him was dispicable

Wow, there's an alternative viewpoint.

Parker is one of the biggest disgraces to pull on the shirt I've seen.

The best moment of this season by a long way was him leaving.

Because he's an 18 year old kid who knows :censored: all about how football works and should have no opinion on tactics or stadium facilities.

His only concern should be training well and getting on the pitch.

Sod off Coco. Even an 18 year old kid can see a club on its arse.

As you say. His only concern is training and getting on the pitch. And i'm sure a club which actually knew what the hell it is doing would do a better job at it.

What has he got to stay for? 20 Minutes at the end of games against teams that are playing us off the park, in a team which hasnt a :censored: ing clue how to attack? Whist being booed by your own fans?

Again. Dont blame him for a second. Go somewhere which will actually develop you as a footballer.

Again. Dont blame him for a second. Go somewhere which will actually develop you as a footballer.

I appreciate what you're saying, and as above I've agreed that we should have no beef with him looking at his options first, but I think you're being unfair on the Youth and Reserve set up.

He has and will continue to progress with Latics. Perhaps less so than elsewhere, but he'd still progress and someone like Philliskirk is an ideal teacher for Eaves, given they're both in the 'powerful forward' mould.

That said I think given the potential he's shown he's going to get some pretty interesting offers and you wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere.

Should we feel like we've missed out? Sure. Should we be spouting hateful bull:censored: on OWTB? No.

Does it have anything to do with loyalty? Hell No!

Should we feel like we've missed out? Sure. Should we be spouting hateful bull:censored: on OWTB? No.

:lol:

So thats our brilliant record of develoing youth strikers then? Or any position really. Look at how the likes of Jigsaw, Wolfenden, even smalley are blossoming - all loved by the fans.

Hateful rubbish. Sod off. This club is a shambles. Everyone bang on about our wonderful youth set up? In terms of results is it actually any better than any other at developing players into our first team?

IN ADDITION: I utterly stand by my comments regarding why the hell would any youth player want to actually play for us. I'd be running tot he hills.

Edited by BigfinLatic

Disagree with the guys on here who claim that Eaves is well within his rights I'm afraid - football is not and cannot be run like that. I'm sure we have screwed players over in the past, but there is a fundamental difference when it comes to kids from your youth team because if there is no reward for us then why bother?

Long and short of it is that if players do the sort of thing that Eaves seems to be doing now then there will be a collapse of clubs' youth policies, because if you are getting peanuts for your best who walk away then how can you break even? So by doing things like this, players like Eaves directly threaten every trainee's position and the very fabric of the club system.

Basically, it is :censored:house behaviour and a poor career move. If he was good enough to get a game at a higher level then by signing and playing he would get bought anyway, and if he isn't good enough yet then he'll be in the reserves doing a Carl Serrant and disappearing entirely. Football and footballers are quick to hide behind the "not a normal business" line themselves whenever it suits and there has to be some payback for that. Plus, I wouldn't treat my employers like this because I feel loyalty to them as you should when they pay your wages on time...

So thats our brilliant record of develoing youth strikers then? Or any position really. Look at how the likes of Jigsaw, Wolfenden, even smalley are blossoming - all loved by the fans.

Hateful rubbish. Sod off. This club is a shambles. Everyone bang on about our wonderful youth set up? In terms of results is it actually any better than any other at developing players into our first team?

Sorry, the hateful bull:censored: was aimed at others, not you. You were rational and literate as always mate.

I know what you mean, but sometimes I think that players find their level. I think Tom's is higher than Deane, Lewi or the Wolf could ever hope for.

Disagree with the guys on here who claim that Eaves is well within his rights I'm afraid - football is not and cannot be run like that. I'm sure we have screwed players over in the past, but there is a fundamental difference when it comes to kids from your youth team because if there is no reward for us then why bother?

Long and short of it is that if players do the sort of thing that Eaves seems to be doing now then there will be a collapse of clubs' youth policies, because if you are getting peanuts for your best who walk away then how can you break even? So by doing things like this, players like Eaves directly threaten every trainee's position and the very fabric of the club system.

Basically, it is :censored:house behaviour and a poor career move. If he was good enough to get a game at a higher level then by signing and playing he would get bought anyway, and if he isn't good enough yet then he'll be in the reserves doing a Carl Serrant and disappearing entirely. Football and footballers are quick to hide behind the "not a normal business" line themselves whenever it suits and there has to be some payback for that. Plus, I wouldn't treat my employers like this because I feel loyalty to them as you should when they pay your wages on time...

:censored:house behaviour of the highest order.. I hope that the fleas of a thousand camels infest his bedding when he hops off to barnsley reserves...

Nah, it just becomes an open market. The best players choose to be in the youth set up at better clubs. Simple as that. Unfortunately whether you like it or not, your reputation of your clubs first team and management structure will always influence whether you want to play as a youth player at a club.

I'm sorry. You may disagree but Tom has seeen what has gone on in matches this season. He isnt blind. Fair enough if he is good enough he will get bought - but what if he is forgotten about as instantly as Penney seems to forget about players. What if he is made to look awful by pitiful tactics. What if he is playing for the worst team in the division?

Just like companies. You only sign a contractwith an organisation that has a reputation for being a decent employer. With a boss that isnt an utter idiot.

Edited by BigfinLatic

Sorry, the hateful bull:censored: was aimed at others, not you. You were rational and literate as always mate.

I know what you mean, but sometimes I think that players find their level. I think Tom's is higher than Deane, Lewi or the Wolf could ever hope for.

Oh. Ok. :blush:

I am being a little spiteful and vindictive though.... I need to go away and watch a rom com or summat... signing off...

Sod off Coco. Even an 18 year old kid can see a club on its arse.

As you say. His only concern is training and getting on the pitch. And i'm sure a club which actually knew what the hell it is doing would do a better job at it.

What has he got to stay for? 20 Minutes at the end of games against teams that are playing us off the park, in a team which hasnt a :censored: ing clue how to attack? Whist being booed by your own fans?

So then he'll go to a Wigan or Newcastle, spend three years there without even a look at the first team squad before being released and then bum around various lower league clubs on non contract basis like another former youth teamer.

He isn't better than us, he's an 18 year old who's yet to make a real impression.