England in the World cup

When will England exit the world cup?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. just for fun

• Before the semi's
    • Will reach the semi's
    • Will reach the final

Well guys I have just made a bet with my other half with regards to when England will exit the world cup.

I believe we'll be out before the semi's, Tangerine dreams believes we will reach the semi's and beyond.

A night of romance for the winner (for Tangerine dreams he'll get a 4 pack and a curry and he won't have to wash up -yes aren't I generous)

So, now I need to gauge the opinion of us fans.

So chaps/chapesses when will England be coming home.......hmmm

Edited by underdog

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put on the lunatic hat then and say we can go a long way in this competition.

Group, easiest bar Italy's.

Round 2 vs Ghana. Should win.

1/4 Finals v France. Should win.

Then it's the semi's and no idea who we'll face (Ivory Coast? Spain? Portugal? Brazil?), but there's no one there that we will automatically lose to. Whoever it is will be good.

Then it's Germany in the final. Which we'll lose.

Most importantly is the climate which is perfect for us to run about like idiots for 90 minutes, unlike that passing play sunshine lark.

We will WIN it .....

Lets get in the mood to win it !!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I make no excuses for my inability to technical difficulties.

The usual, quarters or semis, probably going out on penalties.

But Germany will get no further.

And Brasil will win it.

It wouldn't surpriseme if Brazil didn't even make the Second round.

Not an easy group at all.

Then there may be Spain in round 2.

Not sure about them doing all that well myself.

Bettingwise I'm thinking Germany and Holland look fairly long odds.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

We will blow it simply because out "stars" will be more interested if they can get more money next year by moving to another club. We should be choosing second class players who will die for the shirt. Like latics really.

Semis for me- should top the group, second round game looks tough though (1 of Germany, Oz, Ghana, and Serbia- I really can't pick who comes second there). Q/F should be easier (probably France). Semis we are in serious trouble- the Dutch or Brasil.

I really can't see past Spain to win though- they've got that bad performing monkey of their back with the last Euro win. They've got the best forward partnership in the world, the best midfield in the world (their second choice midfield is probably top 5), they've got 3 of the best 10 goalies in the world. OK their defence isn't great but it looks better than most. In comparison with us (and remember I think we will get to the Semis) only Ashley Cole gets in their team. The Brazilians are for the first time in ages better than the sum of their parts, the Argies have the best player in the world. The Dutch are looking good (awful QF for them though)- nice group and awesome second round though. We've got a decent team but we've had a decent team for the past 2 world cups (we were the second best team in 02 but met the best in the QF). Our team this time is probably better than those- simply because they play more as a team than a bunch of individuals but there are other teams who are better than us.

doubt we'll win it, mexico outplayed us to remind me of the point we arent very good as a team. saying that we've got an easy route in theory to the semi's so i reckon we'll be beat in the semi's

The thing that encouraged me about that game was that, despite being average, we never looked like loosing. In the past that game would have finished 1-1. Now, thanks to Capello, we have that 'play bad and win' thing that all Champions need.

That's not to say we'll win - as others have said Spain have it to lose - but that I think we can do well.

The thing with England I have noticed is that we seem to go flat around the 60 minute mark and it takes us a good 5 minutes to regroup, now the better teams in the competition will have also have seen this and will adjust around that mark and hit us hard around that time, I hope the players have noticed this and do some accordingly........we shall see. ETID

doubt we'll win it, mexico outplayed us to remind me of the point we arent very good as a team. saying that we've got an easy route in theory to the semi's so i reckon we'll be beat in the semi's

No Lampard, Terry, Cole, Barry against Mexico - it was midfield where we lost out in the main - so I don't think that you use the Mexico friendly as a barometer of form - this is a good England team and should be able to make at least the semi-finals - if all play to their potential then it will be a final against Argentina. :wink:

The thing that encouraged me about that game was that, despite being average, we never looked like loosing. In the past that game would have finished 1-1. Now, thanks to Capello, we have that 'play bad and win' thing that all Champions need.

That's not to say we'll win - as others have said Spain have it to lose - but that I think we can do well.

That is something Capello seems to have sorted, whether it's a good or bad thing? I do think we can go all the way, it's just whether some of the players believe or want to.

Mexico out played us for a time but that doesn't show why we aren't very good that shows that Mexico (who've got quite a decent record in recent world cups) are not that bad. However, unluckily for them they're in the same group as the hosts and I can't remember the last time a host failed to get past the group stage.

It wouldn't surpriseme if Brazil didn't even make the Second round.

Not an easy group at all.

Then there may be Spain in round 2.

Not sure about them doing all that well myself.

Bettingwise I'm thinking Germany and Holland look fairly long odds.

Brazil will get through that group with no real problems. Portugal are pretty poor, Ivory Coast are decent, but Brazil rarely lose. They dont have as much flair as in the past, but they know how to win.

England... quarters I reckon. But it's definitely winnable.