England in the World cup

When will England exit the world cup?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. just for fun

• Before the semi's
    • Will reach the semi's
    • Will reach the final

Mexico out played us for a time but that doesn't show why we aren't very good that shows that Mexico (who've got quite a decent record in recent world cups) are not that bad. However, unluckily for them they're in the same group as the hosts and I can't remember the last time a host failed to get past the group stage.

SA are gash - I'd be surprised if they got out of their group.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about England this time is that for the first time I can remember we do have one of the geniune world class match winners in our side in Rooney. In the past we've always hyped up our main man or men way beyond their ability a la Beckham, Gerrard,etc, even going way back to the likes of Robson and Keegan.

For me the only one to compare with him is Gascoigne, and he came from nowhere in 1990 and was never the same after that tackle in the 1991 FA Cup final.

If everyone plays to their absolute maximum and Rooney is and can stay 100% fit then we have a chance, but I still feel we'll cock it up somewhere along the line and that Spain, Brazil and possibly Holland are better than us anyway.

SA are gash - I'd be surprised if they got out of their group.

I would heartily agree with you but South Korea weren't very good in 02 and they got to the semis. The Yanks were awful in 94 and they got to the second round. Mexico were bad in 86 and 70 and they got to the QF.

Home advantage plays just as big a role in international games as it does in domestic games.

oh bugger!!!!!!!!!

On the basis on the votes so far, I'm going to lose...damn and blast...tut.

My hubby is on for romance then......this is no good for my image at all. :unsure:

But I have got to say I agree (ye gods!!) with 0000 - quarters if we're lucky. We have a very dodgy defence when the ball goes straight down the middle we open wider than a lady of the night.

Needs sorting please

Edited by underdog

Mexico out played us for a time but that doesn't show why we aren't very good that shows that Mexico (who've got quite a decent record in recent world cups) are not that bad. However, unluckily for them they're in the same group as the hosts and I can't remember the last time a host failed to get past the group stage.

The hosts have never failed to get pasted the group stage.

what a shame it would be if Capello plays Gerrard on the left

second half against Mexico he was one of our best players

play Gerrard behind Rooney, or give them free roles and its the semi's at least for us

The thing about England this time is that for the first time I can remember we do have one of the geniune world class match winners in our side in Rooney. In the past we've always hyped up our main man or men way beyond their ability a la Beckham, Gerrard,etc, even going way back to the likes of Robson and Keegan.

For me the only one to compare with him is Gascoigne, and he came from nowhere in 1990 and was never the same after that tackle in the 1991 FA Cup final.

If everyone plays to their absolute maximum and Rooney is and can stay 100% fit then we have a chance, but I still feel we'll cock it up somewhere along the line and that Spain, Brazil and possibly Holland are better than us anyway.

From a less partial perspective, the world media is salivating over what Rooney might do. I've seen at least two Emirati papers pick him out as the man who might make the difference in the whole tournament, although they go down the Spain consensus about who are clearly the best team (and they are). If he tears it up then the rest of them might be good enough for us to pull it off with the wind behind us on a downhill gradient. If not, I think we will be :censored:e.

Rooney will break a metatarsal 15 minutes into England's first game and Peter Crouch will finish England's top scorer.

I don't know why but i'm completely convinced this will happen.

Rooney will break a metatarsal 15 minutes into England's first game and Peter Crouch will finish England's top scorer.

I don't know why but i'm completely convinced this will happen.

You read my mind about the first bit. I was hoping he would break it 3 months ago to give him time to get back up to speed. We could have won 2004 if he had been OK, he was making that much of a difference. Incidentally the only time I was really excited about a tournament and the last time I smoked a legal cigarette.

You read my mind about the first bit. I was hoping he would break it 3 months ago to give him time to get back up to speed. We could have won 2004 if he had been OK, he was making that much of a difference. Incidentally the only time I was really excited about a tournament and the last time I smoked a legal cigarette.

:grin: :grin: :grin: Keep yer chin up fella :grin: :grin: :grin:

:grin: :grin: :grin: Keep yer chin up fella :grin: :grin: :grin:

Think we're being overhyped, I'd love to be wrong but I think we'll go out in the 1/4s - even progressing beyond the second round may be a struggle as we are likely to be playing Australia or Germany. AND if we don't beat USA 57-0 in the first game, the tabloids will destroy the team as per usual....