Eaves going to Blackpool?

What Hallam said. Maybe he won't cut it, but we have the luxury of time to see. No need to take a cheap bid now; by all means sell if we get a bid we can't refuse (£400,000? £500,000? I have no idea), but I'd rather take the risk that he fails than we sell now too early.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but according to the Sun (i know, i know) Eaves is now wanted by Sunderland and Blackburn.

they could be in a position to offer us more, if they think he is worth it

good news for us really

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6276020,00.html

Eaves to Blackburn Sunderland and Blackpool

It must just be me who doesn't get this. I've seen nothing at all in Eaves which would warrant any interest. Personally I think £200k is an absolute steal and we should take that offer it is true. I'd love to be proved wrong naturally but apart from this lads physical attributes he just doesn't seem to have the footballing sense. The lad is meant to be a striker and he's not looked like getting anywhere near the goal. Please Tom make me eat my words but I just can't see it happening

It must just be me who doesn't get this. I've seen nothing at all in Eaves which would warrant any interest. Personally I think £200k is an absolute steal and we should take that offer it is true. I'd love to be proved wrong naturally but apart from this lads physical attributes he just doesn't seem to have the footballing sense. The lad is meant to be a striker and he's not looked like getting anywhere near the goal. Please Tom make me eat my words but I just can't see it happening

Im of a similar stance on this. I feel if a Prem club gets him for 200k then they will be able to develop him much better than Latics, and like any kid who has height, a bit of pace and is strong with the right training he could quite easily become a star. However at latics he wont develop like this because he will be thrown in at the deep end when not ready, make mistakes and then not be given any more chances and be thrown on the scrap heap like many other young talents we have had over the years. Therefore I think we should sell now, hes not likely to bang in 20+ goals next season for us and then be worth a mill or 2 so cash in while hes still worth something I think

Can't believe the people on here who don't rate Eaves. He's not even 18 yet for gawd's sakes. Potentially he could develop into a Premier League player and thats why the likes of Blackpool and Sunderland are sniffing round - potential. Remember Wayne Harrison? It's a gamble but if it comes off 200k will be regarded as a steal. if it doesn't it's a drop in the ocean for a PL club.

If he stays he'll get games this season and imo he'll prove what a good player he is and his value will rise accordingly. If the club do sell I hope Corney has the brains to start the bidding at 500k minimum and include appearance and sell on clauses.

And as for Brooke being better than Eaves, get a grip. :grin::lol:

Can't believe the people on here who don't rate Eaves. He's not even 18 yet for gawd's sakes. Potentially he could develop into a Premier League player and thats why the likes of Blackpool and Sunderland are sniffing round - potential. Remember Wayne Harrison? It's a gamble but if it comes off 200k will be regarded as a steal. if it doesn't it's a drop in the ocean for a PL club.

If he stays he'll get games this season and imo he'll prove what a good player he is and his value will rise accordingly. If the club do sell I hope Corney has the brains to start the bidding at 500k minimum and include appearance and sell on clauses.

what he said

I'm in no doubt that Brooke is a much better footballer than Eaves. He has hit the back of the net more often for a start and probably has not had much more game time. Took a great goal last season by getting in where it hurts and the application pre season especially in the Burnley game (incidently where I thought we have seen the best of Eaves) has been a step up from Tom. I'm not knocking the lad by the way. I am equally as bemused by the people who think it is brilliant that we have offered him a 5 year deal. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more youth players making it through and we got severely spanked with the Eardley deal. Eardley was easily one of the best full backs in this division so I didn't understand the grief he got.

I was speaking to Aaron Chalmers towards the back end of last season and asked him about Brooke and Eaves and he was firmly in the Brooke camp. He said he had never seen anyone that was as much a natural finisher as Brooke and rated him more than Eaves...he said that Eaves had potential but that he would take Brooke anyday.

Seeing as he would have trained/played with both I'll take his word for it....500k would do for me.

I was speaking to Aaron Chalmers towards the back end of last season and asked him about Brooke and Eaves and he was firmly in the Brooke camp. He said he had never seen anyone that was as much a natural finisher as Brooke and rated him more than Eaves...he said that Eaves had potential but that he would take Brooke anyday.

Seeing as he would have trained/played with both I'll take his word for it....500k would do for me.

Doesn't the Wayne Harrison comparison suggest we should cash in now rather than take the risk?

If Harrison hadn't been sold and then had his succession of accidents whilst playing for Latics, the club would have got nothing for his "potential". If you apply the same logic to Eaves' situation, we should sell him before something goes wrong.

You could say the same of countless latics players who were "rated" at £x,000 but ended up going for a quarter of what the top value was. Take Taylor as an example. Bids turned down, but with hindsight, maybe they should have been accepted? He's hardly set the world alight in the last 12 months.

Edited by real

Doesn't the Wayne Harrison comparison suggest we should cash in now rather than take the risk?

If Harrison hadn't been sold and then had his succession of accidents whilst playing for Latics, the club would have got nothing for his "potential". If you apply the same logic to Eaves' situation, we should sell him before something goes wrong.

You could say the same of countless latics players who were "rated" at £x,000 but ended up going for a quarter of what the top value was. Take Taylor as an example. Bids turned down, but with hindsight, maybe they should have been accepted? He's hardly set the world alight in the last 12 months.

If my auntie had balls...Harrison fell through a greenhouse in Liverpool, freak accident. You can't say that would have happened if he'd stayed at Oldham. Turning your argument around what if Harrison had remained with us and scored 50odd goals in 3 seasons then gone for half a million or more?

If the club sell Eaves then so be it. At least we can all rest safe in the knowledge Dickov will be given the proceeds to strengthen the team. Not.

If Rochdale are blasting Boro for bidding £750k for Craig Dawson* we should be looking to get more than £200k for Eaves especially if 3 prem teams are interested.

* according to today's sun

Eaves should be given the chance in our first team, we have him on a 5 year contract and if he does start firing goals in for fun then we are in a strong position to watch a bidding war start with these premierleague teams rather than sell one of our better youngsters now. I would rather see the lad play for Oldham than see 200k disappear into somebodys back pocket.

I've got a mate who used to play with Stephens and thought he was average. Just because someone's played with someone, doesn't mean they are always a good judge of a player....