Eaves going to Blackpool?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eaves should be given the chance in our first team, we have him on a 5 year contract and if he does start firing goals in for fun then we are in a strong position to watch a bidding war start with these premierleague teams rather than sell one of our better youngsters now. I would rather see the lad play for Oldham than see 200k disappear into somebodys back pocket.

What he said.

If my auntie had balls...Harrison fell through a greenhouse in Liverpool, freak accident. You can't say that would have happened if he'd stayed at Oldham. Turning your argument around what if Harrison had remained with us and scored 50odd goals in 3 seasons then gone for half a million or more?

1. Your Aunty probably did have balls.

2. What was the point of brining Harrison into things then? You said "Remember Wayne Harrison?". If your point wasn't that things could have been different (i.e a load of "ifs") then what was it? That we got a bundle of cash for a player whose career went nowhere? What exactly was your point about him?

3. How's your tendonitis?

People have quickly forgotten Eaves "holding out" on a contract. How many wanted to see the back of him when he wouldn't sign?

I was speaking to Aaron Chalmers towards the back end of last season and asked him about Brooke and Eaves and he was firmly in the Brooke camp. He said he had never seen anyone that was as much a natural finisher as Brooke and rated him more than Eaves...he said that Eaves had potential but that he would take Brooke anyday.

Seeing as he would have trained/played with both I'll take his word for it....500k would do for me.

Royle also said something about Brooke being one of the most natural finishers he has seen at the club. He's a bit small at the moment, still needs a couple more years to develop.

I'd say this is Alessandra's last year to do something otherwise we can show him the door.

1. Your Aunty probably did have balls.

2. What was the point of brining Harrison into things then? You said "Remember Wayne Harrison?". If your point wasn't that things could have been different (i.e a load of "ifs") then what was it? That we got a bundle of cash for a player whose career went nowhere? What exactly was your point about him?

3. How's your tendonitis?

People have quickly forgotten Eaves "holding out" on a contract. How many wanted to see the back of him when he wouldn't sign?

1. My Auntie Brian did but we don't talk about her.

2. My point was Liverpool paid 250k twenty odd years ago for a player with 'potential.' If there are Premier League clubs sniffing we should be looking at a damn sight more than 200 grand, though thinking about it that figure could be explained away in 'running costs' - anymore and questions would be asked as to where it would go cos Dickov sure won't see any of it whatever he's sold for.

3. I'm in agony.

That's the contract he signed the day Dave-DEFENCE!-Penney left, right? :wink:

Ryan's one of the best finishers I've seen in Latics' youth/ressies... a classic striker of the ball, very clean. He's got a stunning volley on him. But he very much relies on the time and space to pull that off.

Tom, on the other hand, is a natural talent on a multitude of levels. He benefits greatly from natural strength, size and pace. However in the short run he had last season he learnt the hard way that those natural gifts don't instantly translate to first team football. Overpowering another 17 year old is much easier than overpowering a 15 year lower-league veteran. Only time can teach him that.

Given the right coaching he could comfortably hold his own in the premier league, assuming he's willing to put the effort in.

Let's even think outside the box for a change, Keep 'em both, whack 'em in the 1st team and let them continue to develop their potential and then in 12/18 months if they are reaching their potential as higher league footballers, sell them for a shed load of pound notes.

Hey, the team may even benefit from that - now that's novel.

Given the financial straits at the club I can't see that we can afford to turn down any sensible money that is offered for a player, and considering that Bostock went to Spurs for just £750k I cannot see that Eaves is undervalued at £200k. Like a lot of people have said, he's only 17 and has clearly got some gifts that could enable him to be succeed - but he hasn't shown glimpses of wonderkid status in the performances that I've seen. That isn't meant to be a criticism by the by, but players of real class have shone at this level - even when they were callow youngsters you could see the class in Zamora and Defoe. By that token, if Eaves were to be the second coming I'd expect him to be showing glimpses by now.

I'd rather see him play and score some goals for us, but if the money is truthfully being offered then I cannot see that he won't be sold.

Given the financial straits at the club I can't see that we can afford to turn down any sensible money that is offered for a player, and considering that Bostock went to Spurs for just £750k I cannot see that Eaves is undervalued at £200k. Like a lot of people have said, he's only 17 and has clearly got some gifts that could enable him to be succeed - but he hasn't shown glimpses of wonderkid status in the performances that I've seen. That isn't meant to be a criticism by the by, but players of real class have shone at this level - even when they were callow youngsters you could see the class in Zamora and Defoe. By that token, if Eaves were to be the second coming I'd expect him to be showing glimpses by now.

I'd rather see him play and score some goals for us, but if the money is truthfully being offered then I cannot see that he won't be sold.

read it in 3 different rags now that we turned down 300k from lashers.and other clubs sniffing around...im sure he has got some potential,but being in the position we are then considering he hasnt set the world on fire just yet,shouldnt we stick out for 500k plus incentives ala micha richards????

im sure if he does start the season with us,and manages a few golas his value will soar...

Bostock's fee was decided by tribunal, though.

True, so it gives an independent view of a young player's value. Granted, I thought it was harsh on Palace but that was the considered opinion of the jury and so that is what he went for. If a lad like Bostock, England youth player apparently followed by no less a club than Barca in the past, is worth £750k then I would have thought that £200-250k for Eaves is a fair sum.

I'd be surprised if we actually got that much to be honest; more likely to be structured offers for a young lad.

Eaves should be given the chance in our first team, we have him on a 5 year contract and if he does start firing goals in for fun then we are in a strong position to watch a bidding war start with these premierleague teams rather than sell one of our better youngsters now. I would rather see the lad play for Oldham than see 200k disappear into somebodys back pocket.

What if he doesn't start firing them in, though?

I say a bird in hand is worth two in the bush - cash in our pocket with sell-ons has got to be the safer option. Let another club see what they can do with him as I get the feeling he could be the next Scott Vernon if he stays here.

I've got a mate who used to play with Stephens and thought he was average. Just because someone's played with someone, doesn't mean they are always a good judge of a player....

Fair point, but I'd class Chalmers as more knowledgeable than me and you.

That's the contract he signed the day Dave-DEFENCE!-Penney left, right? :wink:

Ryan's one of the best finishers I've seen in Latics' youth/ressies... a classic striker of the ball, very clean. He's got a stunning volley on him. But he very much relies on the time and space to pull that off.

Tom, on the other hand, is a natural talent on a multitude of levels. He benefits greatly from natural strength, size and pace. However in the short run he had last season he learnt the hard way that those natural gifts don't instantly translate to first team football. Overpowering another 17 year old is much easier than overpowering a 15 year lower-league veteran. Only time can teach him that.

Given the right coaching he could comfortably hold his own in the premier league, assuming he's willing to put the effort in.

That's where I'm at basically.

I've seen both of them a fair bit for the youth & reserves - and initially I thought Brooke was going to be the 'one' but the more I watched Eaves the more impressed I was. He has the physical size & strength; and as well as scoring really good goals from all around; he also seemed to have the 'Porter' knack of being in the right place to tap home.

He has struggled to make the step-up at 1st team level; as I think he was possibly expecting to bully & out-muscle CB's as he had away from 'big boy' side.

Last season will have (hopefully) done him the power of good - and I'd hope he'll kick-on this season.

As for Brooke; I've been impressed with his pre-season so far. His attitude has been spot on and he's working on the physical side of his game; putting himself about and not getting buffetted off the ball as much as at times last season. On the showings of pre-season; I'd have Brooke ahead of Lewis and Eaves in the pecking order.

As for the Eaves transfer stuff - every player has their price; and whilst I'd be more than miffed if he's sold 'on the cheap' a la Eardley - I'd fully underdtand the club taking an opportunity to cash in a saleable asset.

You really know how to make your point Sly!!!

You might need to post again just to make sure :wink:

I think it is a good point about muscling in, and kikcing on this season.

Further to that, I would have thought Dickov would be the ideal person to get a player to "impose" himself and not be bundled off the ball easily and fight for the ball.

He could do a lot for Eaves (and Brookes) career

What if he doesn't start firing them in, though?

I say a bird in hand is worth two in the bush - cash in our pocket with sell-ons has got to be the safer option. Let another club see what they can do with him as I get the feeling he could be the next Scott Vernon if he stays here.

Well if he is the next scott vernon i wouldnt mind him being top scorer in double figures for the club in a season. And also if we can trade him for another wellens like we did we vernon, thats business well done :wink:

Well if he is the next scott vernon i wouldnt mind him being top scorer in double figures for the club in a season. And also if we can trade him for another wellens like we did we vernon, thats business well done :wink:

Ha! Fair point. I think I was being a bit generous with the Vernon comparison, anyway. Eaves has yet to score against City, for starters. After he's done that for us we can swap him for a Wellens........or even a Whittaker!

Ha! Fair point. I think I was being a bit generous with the Vernon comparison, anyway. Eaves has yet to score against City, for starters. After he's done that for us we can swap him for a Wellens........or even a Whittaker!

Or a Jason Euell. He's 32 now... <_<