Time to plant the feet in reality

A lot is being made of Pawel Abbott's departure and there are a fair few who have misgivings as he was 1 of the 2 players who are the reason we are playing in League 3 this season and not replacing the Dale in League 4. The other being El Capitano.

Until his operation, Abbott showed why he has had a decent career at this level, particularly over the hill at Town. The flip side is that since his return at Hartlepool, he has struggled. Maybe due to being brought back too soon and being continuously played by an increasingly desparate DP. He has however had a full summer to regain fitness and sharpness and the question needs asking has he? Clearly the manager has not been impressed and his performance for the stiffs at Leyland last Saturday quite frankly left a lot to be desired.

Will we miss Abbott? Well the Abbott of August to early November 09 will be clearly missed, whereas the Abbott of 2010 would not catch this seasons stiffs.

Thanks for your efforts last season Pav, good luck for the future you won't be forgotten, but both you and us need to move on.

In terms of this season and having seen all the games to date with the exception of Barrow, two things in particular have struck me. The first is the change in direction in terms of style, attitude, commitment and togetherness. PD stated early doors that he wants to see a high tempo style of play where we start defending in the opposition half forcing opponents into errors so that we gain possession much higher up the pitch to create more chances. He also said that he wants a team of young hungry players to put the plan into place. He needs time to build his team. The 6 weeks he has had to date is clearly not enough. He needs to get out of the club the players who he sees as having no future and replace them with players that he has identified as being able to improve us. Some of this will happen before this transfer window closes, some through the loan system, some in the January window and the rest at the end of the season. In the short term he works with what he has got within his budget.

The second thing that has struck me is, at the moment, a concern that I have in the back of my mind following the game against Falkirk at Northwich. The 3 games to date at BP have seen us play higher division opponents and the boys are obviously up for this sort of game in front of their own fans with a new manager. The Falkirk game was very different and is THE reality check of this pre season to date. Whilst it is important that we once again make BP a fortress this season, which on its own would ensure we are more than safe, I fear that it will be results away from BP that will make a real difference to our season. Whilst DP was capable of frustrating home teams and their fans at places like Charlton and Southampton, it is highly unlikely that PD will set up to frustrate and we will have to gain points with a much more attacking system, which leaves us more susceptible

So, after the depths of the last 12 months we have the optimism of this pre season, but thats all it is. The results to date mean nothing, the perfromaces to date do not get us any points in the league, but are an indication of what we should expect come next Saturday. Today will give us a clearer picture again and I would expect to see a lineup very similar to Wednesday night. Unless we manage to get one or more of the transfer listed players out beforehand, I would expect to see only 1 or 2 new arrivals over the next 7 days and so todays teams will probably be 80-90% of next weeks 1st 11.

Give the boys a viewing today if you have not been so far. It's been entertaing in the 3 games at BP, something that just didn't happen last season, and long may it continue.

He also said that he wants a team of young hungry players to put the plan into place. He needs time to build his team. The 6 weeks he has had to date is clearly not enough.

A good post Harry, but this part quoted really needs to be rammed home to the morons who undoubtedly after the first misplaced pass commence with a volley of bile and verbal abuse and quickly adjust it towards the manager and who usually keeps it up until said manager gets sacked.

For me I'm not a fan of PD, and I never have. Hated, nay despised him as a player and his Citeh connections, but I've been mildly impressed with his attitude and enthusiasm since he got the post. I'll certainly be giving him time, and over the course of the season I may even begin to like him. He's made a huge, huge gamble on getting rid of Abbott, which he'll be judged on over the course of next season. I can understand the reasoning, gets a major wage bill off the books of a player who I'll be surprised makes more than 25 starts this season.

Mind you, any more needless berating of the manager after 2 weeks of the season and another chunk of love I have for the club will be going where the other lost chunks have gone over the last few seasons. It don't have grind that.

In all respects the acid test arrives at Tranmere next week.

I too am a little concerned about how we'll get on away from home with PD's tactics. Like Harry says, being up for a home match against higher league opposition is one thing, putting the same effort in away at Tranmere, Yeovil or wherever is wholly another. You can generally pull off the high tempo style of play successfully provided you've got the players to do it, but our squad, as it stands, doesn't have much strength in depth.

I can see a couple of beatings this season, especially away from home but do you know what? If that's the price of seeing some entertaining football and sufficient wins to keep us safe, I'm with PD all the way.

The pinch me years were built on you score 3 and we'll score 4. Home and away. No matter who the oppo were. Remember this, the side that wins most matches home and away tend to win the league. A side that wins 2 and loses 2 finishes above a side that never loses. Bring on the attacking exciting football home and away.

I too am a little concerned about how we'll get on away from home with PD's tactics. Like Harry says, being up for a home match against higher league opposition is one thing, putting the same effort in away at Tranmere, Yeovil or wherever is wholly another. You can generally pull off the high tempo style of play successfully provided you've got the players to do it, but our squad, as it stands, doesn't have much strength in depth.

I can see a couple of beatings this season, especially away from home but do you know what? If that's the price of seeing some entertaining football and sufficient wins to keep us safe, I'm with PD all the way.

ive said for the last couple of years, if we get beat but the football is half decent and the effort is there to see then i will take that.

whats been on show over the last season and a half is not what i want to see

if you get beat by the best team on the day fair enough but to crumble like we have been doing is not on

we will lose games this season , but one things for sure we wont just lie down and die

Edited by palmer1

An excellent post.

+1, excellent Harry. 1hr to KO and I can't wait. yes Falkirk was a reality check and yes food for thought about the difference about playing at home and away.

It should not make a difference should it? You pull the shirt on, put a shift in and win/lose if the players can do that then its 100% better than last season already.

See you all BP

I think this may well form a big crux of our forthcoming season, in two ways;

a. Will those fans who say all they want is to see entertaining, attacking football regardless of whether we win, not be on PD's back after a couple of hammerings away from home, or even at BP, or will they be getting the 'Get out of my club, blah blah blah' shouts out?

b. After a couple of those hammerings, will our (thin and young) squad still be up for the fight? Hopefully PD and GT, will be making sure that the right arms are around the right shoulders and the right feet are up the right backsides, but who knows, time will tell.

I think this may well form a big crux of our forthcoming season, in two ways;

a. Will those fans who say all they want is to see entertaining, attacking football regardless of whether we win, not be on PD's back after a couple of hammerings away from home, or even at BP, or will they be getting the 'Get out of my club, blah blah blah' shouts out?

b. After a couple of those hammerings, will our (thin and young) squad still be up for the fight? Hopefully PD and GT, will be making sure that the right arms are around the right shoulders and the right feet are up the right backsides, but who knows, time will tell.

After the pre season, I am thinking how our squad is not that deep once the injuries and suspensions kick in!

After the pre season, I am thinking how our squad is not that deep once the injuries and suspensions kick in!

Hopefully at least some of the Abbott wage will be available to make sure it is not TOO thin, when that time comes.

.Hopefully Taylor is back next week. To ease the injury situation.

My team vs Tranmere:

Brill

Holdsworth

Gregan (if rubes is out)

JJ

Black

Jones

Furman

Stephens

Taylor (if the chron is right and hes back)

Alice

Eaves

If Taylor is out I'd go with Alice in midfield and Eaves up top with Kelly.

Hopefully with a big turn out it can feel like a home game.

Edited by pukka

The stiffs game at Leyland last Saturday summed up why PD wants to remove a number of players from the squad and replace them with players of his choice. The likes of Abbott, Colbeck Fleming and Lomax (together with Worthington, although he pulled out injured) were selected for the game and given an opportunity to prove the manager wrong and for me not 1 of them took their chance. Abbott didn't get on the pitch on Wednesday either and now he and Colbeck are gone. Hopefully the others will soon follow allowing the manager to bring his choices in.

What the Liverpool reserve game showed was that although the squad is deep enough in terms of numbers, there are not enough of the type of player PD wants within those numbers. Thats why certain players are being shipped out. So that he can replace with his type of player.

The likes of Brooke Stephens and Allesandra are the epitomy of what the manager seems to be trying to create. Young, dynamic and hungry, with a sprinkling of experience thrown in.

I'm not sure I'd like Jones to be played out wide, he's a central midfielder. I hope Dickov isn't going to try and accommodate Furman, Stephens and Jones in the same team rather than having two proper wingers playing.

Got to say that Abbott was the laziest git I have seen at Latics for many,many years and Dickov getting money for him must go down as the deal of the century.

Got to say that Abbott was the laziest git I have seen at Latics for many,many years and Dickov getting money for him must go down as the deal of the century.

Not chasing every ball down doesn't equate to being lazy, he semi-fit and reserving energy for when he could do something with the ball. He ran into the box to try and make headers, he ran to get on the end of through balls, but you have to understand Abbott is not a pacey striker, he's like Teddy Sheringham, Dimitar Berbatov or Luciano Becchio, he's a target man with a nice touch and technical ability. He's not a headless chicken like Paul Warne.

Not chasing every ball down doesn't equate to being lazy, he semi-fit and reserving energy for when he could do something with the ball. He ran into the box to try and make headers, he ran to get on the end of through balls, but you have to understand Abbott is not a pacey striker, he's like Teddy Sheringham, Dimitar Berbatov or Luciano Becchio, he's a target man with a nice touch and technical ability. He's not a headless chicken like Paul Warne.

No he's just a headless chicken.

Abbptt was crap, couldnt trap wind and only looked good by converting pens.

In a decent league 1 side he would at best be a sub...........

Pennys buddy and yes he did keep us up , but Dickov obviously thinks the same.

If we can get Jose Baxter in and young Tom or Fenney going it should be much more productive......

roll on Satday...

Oh Ian moore...............

The stiffs game at Leyland last Saturday summed up why PD wants to remove a number of players from the squad and replace them with players of his choice. The likes of Abbott, Colbeck Fleming and Lomax (together with Worthington, although he pulled out injured) were selected for the game and given an opportunity to prove the manager wrong and for me not 1 of them took their chance. Abbott didn't get on the pitch on Wednesday either and now he and Colbeck are gone. Hopefully the others will soon follow allowing the manager to bring his choices in.

What the Liverpool reserve game showed was that although the squad is deep enough in terms of numbers, there are not enough of the type of player PD wants within those numbers. Thats why certain players are being shipped out. So that he can replace with his type of player.

The likes of Brooke Stephens and Allesandra are the epitomy of what the manager seems to be trying to create. Young, dynamic and hungry, with a sprinkling of experience thrown in.

That was always going to be the case though wasn’t it? We have some pretty poor players on our books; left-overs from Shez & Penney poor signings.

All over the pitch; we’re struggling if the 1st choice(s) isn’t available:

This is what I see at present:

RB – If not Lee; then Holdsworth comes in. That’s OK for me that is; one of the only positions where we have 2 decent players for the 1 position.

CB’s – Injury free its Greegs & Hazell. If either of them don’t make it; Jarrett comes in; playing in a new position; lacking in experience etc. Or its Matty D Carr who is a raw, young kid yet to play a competitive 1st team game and who himself is a relative new-comer to the CB position having switched from CM.

LB – if not Black, then Lomax comes in. Worrying!

RM – If not Jones, then its Millar & whilst he shows a bit of promise; he’s just a inexperienced & pretty lightweight kid.

LM – if not Lewis (who’s already playing out of position); then its McGrath. See Millar.

CM’s – Furman & Stephens are definitely the front runners; but if either of them drops out; we’re into Worthington (who’s poo) and Purdie (who’s a crock). Worrying.

ST’s – with Brooke out for what I’d expect to be for a fair chunk of the season and with Abbott offski; AT PRESENT we only have Feeney (not much pre-season behind him & coming back from a knock), Eaves & Dickov.

Add into that the GK position where we have either Brill (who I have no confidence in), Fleming (who I have slightly more confidence in; but is still an error prone GK) and an 18 year kid in Josh who’s yet to play a 1st team game.

If injuries bite; or suspensions kick in – we’re in trouble. Our squad has the numbers; what it doesn’t have is any quality or strength in depth. If 1 or 2 of ‘dead wood’ come into the side in key positions and we’re a poor side because of it………..

Edited by slystallone

That was always going to be the case though wasn’t it? We have some pretty poor players on our books; left-overs from Shez & Penney poor signings.

All over the pitch; we’re struggling if the 1st choice(s) isn’t available:

This is what I see at present:

RB – If not Lee; then Holdsworth comes in. That’s OK for me that is; one of the only positions where we have 2 decent players for the 1 position.

CB’s – Injury free its Greegs & Hazell. If either of them don’t make it; Jarrett comes in; playing in a new position; lacking in experience etc. Or its Matty D Carr who is a raw, young kid yet to play a competitive 1st team game and who himself is a relative new-comer to the CB position having switched from CM.

LB – if not Black, then Lomax comes in. Worrying!

RM – If not Jones, then its Millar & whilst he shows a bit of promise; he’s just a inexperienced & pretty lightweight kid.

LM – if not Lewis (who’s already playing out of position); then its McGrath. See Millar.

CM’s – Furman & Stephens are definitely the front runners; but if either of them drops out; we’re into Worthington (who’s poo) and Purdie (who’s a crock). Worrying.

ST’s – with Brooke out for what I’d expect to be for a fair chunk of the season and with Abbott offski; AT PRESENT we only have Feeney (not much pre-season behind him & coming back from a knock), Eaves & Dickov.

Add into that the GK position where we have either Brill (who I have no confidence in), Fleming (who I have slightly more confidence in; but is still an error prone GK) and an 18 year kid in Josh who’s yet to play a 1st team game.

If injuries bite; or suspensions kick in – we’re in trouble. Our squad has the numbers; what it doesn’t have is any quality or strength in depth. If 1 or 2 of ‘dead wood’ come into the side in key positions and we’re a poor side because of it………..

Taylor can play LM or RM. Smalley RM. Jones can play CM, as can Jarrett. Alice and Smalley can go up top.

A good post Harry, but this part quoted really needs to be rammed home to the morons who undoubtedly after the first misplaced pass commence with a volley of bile and verbal abuse and quickly adjust it towards the manager and who usually keeps it up until said manager gets sacked.

For me I'm not a fan of PD, and I never have. Hated, nay despised him as a player and his Citeh connections, but I've been mildly impressed with his attitude and enthusiasm since he got the post. I'll certainly be giving him time, and over the course of the season I may even begin to like him. He's made a huge, huge gamble on getting rid of Abbott, which he'll be judged on over the course of next season. I can understand the reasoning, gets a major wage bill off the books of a player who I'll be surprised makes more than 25 starts this season.

Mind you, any more needless berating of the manager after 2 weeks of the season and another chunk of love I have for the club will be going where the other lost chunks have gone over the last few seasons. It don't have grind that.

Spot on FMS! Exactly how I feel about him...I hope one day we call in "Our" legend and not the :censored:ty legend he currently is. This chunk of love gone missing is the same here...with added Failsworth drizzle all over it :wink: This season could be make or break...both for Latics and myself personally.