Joe Jacobson

Another excellent display by Joe Jacobson tonight against a strong Man Utd outfit (including a fine headed goal).

If PD is true to his word about giving in form players a chance Jacobson must be taken of the transfer list and added immediately to the first team squad.

Very good performances too in particular from the giant trialist French centre back Julian Cherel and Matty D Carr.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be a little unfair to him, but I'd like to see him in the first team, either at full-back with Black ahead of him or on the wing with Black behind him. One of them might suffer but given Smalley's non-performance I'd like to see one of them given a go with Taylor on the right. (Or, assuming Furman and Stephens stay in the middle, drop Taylor to the bench and play Jones on the right.)

Another excellent display by Joe Jacobson tonight against a strong Man Utd outfit (including a fine headed goal).

If PD is true to his word about giving in form players a chance Jacobson must be taken of the transfer list and added immediately to the first team squad.

Very good performances too in particular from the giant trialist French centre back Julian Cherel and Matty D Carr.

What baffles me at the moment is.......we are trying, through the trust, to raise enough money to sign Dikaba on a one year contract and yet new trialists seem to be popping up every week in our reserves.

If we unearth another Gem what will we do then?

If we have no money.......... then we have no money!!

What baffles me at the moment is.......we are trying, through the trust, to raise enough money to sign Dikaba on a one year contract and yet new trialists seem to be popping up every week in our reserves.

If we unearth another Gem what will we do then?

If we have no money.......... then we have no money!!

The French trialist certainly looked the part, strong in the air, confident (probably more so than Mvoto) and composed, I also noticed how quick he was to get back to his centre back position after going up for set plays.

Div 1 would hold no problems for him.

Edited by BP1960

agreed with getting joe jacobson of the transfer list he is the only decent crosser of the ball

We will see if PD is true to his word and reward Jacobson for his recent outstanding performances.

If he's not on the bench at least on Saturday then something is sadly wrong.

It's often forgotten he is also good in the air, very useful on set plays for and against.

You beat me to this...excellent stuff from JJ tonight! A little shaky in the first 5 or 10 minutes as he twice let the lad up against him outmuscle him...after that though, he won everything and pushed forward aplenty. Grew with confidence, cracking free-kick which hit the bar and scored with a neat header (although their keeper should've saved it...was a Brill-esque gaff).

As for Cherel...my, this lad was good! If there's one thing we lack a bit at the back, it's pace. This lad has it in abundance. One funny moment (for those who spotted it) was when we won a FK near our box and Cherel legged it 50yds upfield wanting the ball played long to him. Nobody cottoned on so he looked a bit stupid, but the pace he showed was lightning. He also won everything in the air...even against Rio in the 1st half at a corner. Stuck one of their lads into railings in the 2nd half. And rarely allowed Macheda any room at all...The Scum ended up with plenty of possesion around our the final 3rd but going nowhere (reminded me of us trying to get into Shrewsbury last night) and finally ended up resorting to pot shots. Sadly, 2 of them went in...their pot shots were a bit better than ours last night.

But I agree, JJ is earning another chance. I really couldn't choose between him and Cherel as to who was MOTM for us. These two put Worthingtons performance to shame...he barely touched it in the 1st 20mins and when he did, there was nothing there. Clueless and disinterested for 70 minutes...got into it a little late on as the Scum made their subs. But he looks happy and content to con a wage for the next 8 months. Shame we've no money to pay him off with as he's taking a kids place in that reserve team!

JJ barring injuries is a top left back in league one, ok if he cant play at left back lets have a left footed winger, im sure he will do a good job for us.

im just baffled to see him on the transfer list

He did allow a lot past him at times last season and that penalty he gave away at Swindon will forever by an X-File as to why he did it...BUT...he has talent. And when confident, he's a decent player. Clearly wants to stay here and grew in confidence throughout the whole game tonight. Jury was out for me on if we should keep him or not but his attitude and that tonight says he deserves another chance. I know the Smalley thing has been discussed a bit in the last 24 hours but if ever there were 2 contrasting examples of players, this is it...one player sitting pretty but not in the side and just mulling about, the other wanting to be shifted out and busting a gut to change the managers mind. Although they're in different positions, I'd be swapping the names on that transfer list tonight.

He did allow a lot past him at times last season and that penalty he gave away at Swindon will forever by an X-File as to why he did it...BUT...he has talent. And when confident, he's a decent player. Clearly wants to stay here and grew in confidence throughout the whole game tonight. Jury was out for me on if we should keep him or not but his attitude and that tonight says he deserves another chance. I know the Smalley thing has been discussed a bit in the last 24 hours but if ever there were 2 contrasting examples of players, this is it...one player sitting pretty but not in the side and just mulling about, the other wanting to be shifted out and busting a gut to change the managers mind. Although they're in different positions, I'd be swapping the names on that transfer list tonight.

Have Smalley in stiffs and on the bench.. He has missed the last two pre-seasons through injury.. he got chucked back into the team last season without being fully fit (like most of the players)..

should have until january to start proving himselff along with taylor, more than enough time the get back match fitness.. if still rubbish say they can go

edit; agree about JJ has talent and is a decent player, would like to see him and black combo down the left, both like to get forward and have decent left foots, but i imagine him being on transfer list may be due to wages

Edited by RobOAFC

Like i said:

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON (At LB)

TAYLOR - Back where he started vs Forest and tore them to bits the only game apart from hudds away in the playoff year with shez where he has looked truly awesome.

Furman

Jones

BLACK (at LW - can cross a ball and best a man)

Tounkare

Kelly

Edited by shefflatic

Like i said:

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON (At LB)

TAYLOR - Back where he started vs Forest and tore them to bits the only game apart from hudds away in the playoff year with shez where he has looked truly awesome.

Furman

Jones

BLACK (at LW - can cross a ball and best a man)

Tounkare

Kelly

No Stephens? As for the left side, I'd probably prefer Black at LB and JJ at LW.

Just asked a mate who was stewarding tonight. Tells me he was there, but he couldn't find him (he's a City fan and wanted his autograph)

Yeh he was there, he was sat in the directors area at the back. Paul Scholes was there also.

Edited by oldhamains

No Stephens? As for the left side, I'd probably prefer Black at LB and JJ at LW.

Has Stephens been all that influential? Even in the Tranmere game he he scored to cracking goals, but he wasn't much in the game. He's a great passer and good with set pieces, but I'd like to see him get stuck in a bit more become somtimes it's like he's not even on the pitch until a set piece occurs.

I'd starts Furman and Jones in the centre next match.

Edited by PlayItLivo

JJ barring injuries is a top left back in league one, ok if he cant play at left back lets have a left footed winger, im sure he will do a good job for us.

im just baffled to see him on the transfer list

Baffled? Really?

He was out injured for most of the season; and when he was fit and played; the negative tactics employed meant he couldn’t venture past the half way line; his confidence fell and he made a few defensive errors.

He was signed on a 2 year deal; on a decent wage.

It’s a simple combination of (relatively) high wage; poor from & poor injury record = transfer list.

Fair play if he’s looking to knuckle down and try to work his way into the 1st X1; trying to change the Management team’s mind. Have to say that the last reserves game I watched him in (Burnley the previous week) he was displaying a ‘can’t be fussed’ attitude. All power to him if he’s turned that around.

As for the French Centre Back; if we have no money to sign Dikaba; then surely we’ll have no money to sign this lad either; so whilst he may have had a good game; is it to zero end as we won’t be able to offer him a deal financially wise?

Baffled? Really?

He was out injured for most of the season; and when he was fit and played; the negative tactics employed meant he couldn’t venture past the half way line; his confidence fell and he made a few defensive errors.

He was signed on a 2 year deal; on a decent wage.

It’s a simple combination of (relatively) high wage; poor from & poor injury record = transfer list.

Fair play if he’s looking to knuckle down and try to work his way into the 1st X1; trying to change the Management team’s mind. Have to say that the last reserves game I watched him in (Burnley the previous week) he was displaying a ‘can’t be fussed’ attitude. All power to him if he’s turned that around.

As for the French Centre Back; if we have no money to sign Dikaba; then surely we’ll have no money to sign this lad either; so whilst he may have had a good game; is it to zero end as we won’t be able to offer him a deal financially wise?

In that case trials are a waste of time, no matter how good the player (and he was good).

In that case trials are a waste of time, no matter how good the player (and he was good).

I haven't said trials are a waste of time carte blanche have I though? Re-read my post again if you have to.

Unless this French lad is prepared to sign up on a miniscule non-contract basis; with a view to signing proper if / when funds become available; then he’s really not likely to get taken on by us; as you might have noticed but we're pretty skint!

I fully advocate the use of trials; both in terms of inviting players to train with us & playing them in reserve games – always have & always will; but presently with our club; if we as fans are being asked to pay towards a player the manager wants to sign but the club can’t afford; then there’s not likely to be any monies available to sign up this lad either; regardless of how he may have played in a reserve team game is there?