OAFC or FC United?

The much aired fans criticism of the decision to move to Failsworth could be refuelled by the news that FC United have submitted their planning application for their new ground in Newton Heath.

Will that lead to a ground share option with the Latics when the owners finally admit to not having the finances to develop their own ground?

Or will perhaps they do a Wimbledon and relocate OAFC to somewhere in the Yorkshire dales?

The much aired fans criticism of the decision to move to Failsworth could be refuelled by the news that FC United have submitted their planning application for their new ground in Newton Heath.

Will that lead to a ground share option with the Latics when the owners finally admit to not having the finances to develop their own ground?

Or will perhaps they do a Wimbledon and relocate OAFC to somewhere in the Yorkshire dales?

You mean Saddleworth :wink:

what is it with latics fans and creating misery from nowhere?

Ive seen nothing to prove they are going to do this, the only reason people have to dount is a few rumours travelling by word of mouth, probably started by a united "fan" who could barely keep on his stool in a bar

You mean Saddleworth :wink:

I would like to propose a ground share with my parents back garden. Its deceptively large, however there may be issues with gregans turning circle, and the penalty spot for the goal would be next door.

I'd say the capacity would be roughly 8-10. Though Teas and Pies would be better, and all spectators would have easy access to beer. Possibility of shoving a couple of more on top of the frame for the swing (possibility for away fans)

Sorted.

They wish to fund it by issuing a community share scheme for £1.5m which is very ambitious considering the times that we are in. As far as I am aware they do not want one investor to ‘buy’ the club as it goes against what they are trying to achieve.

As for sharing a ground with us, I can’t see it happening as it doesn’t make sense.

They wish to fund it by issuing a community share scheme for £1.5m which is very ambitious considering the times that we are in. As far as I am aware they do not want one investor to ‘buy’ the club as it goes against what they are trying to achieve.

As for sharing a ground with us, I can’t see it happening as it doesn’t make sense.

Thanks to Jimsleftfoot for at least one serious contribution to this very significant issue.

The reason I raised the topic on this forum is to raise the awareness amongst fans of the very real prospect that the club's financial state will prevent ANY move to a new stadium unless a considerable investment in the club is made - whether that's one individual (haven't seen Roman Abramovich wandering down Sheepfoot Lane as yet) or a supporters investment group (as per FC United) doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, there are significant barriers to that required investment - the club have no assets as the land is owned by a holding company (courtesy of the recently resigned directors) and I would assume there are significant outstanding loans to these individuals and presumably any influx of funds from whatever source will go towards repaying these loans.

So, on the face of it, any new owner(s) would not only have to meet the cost of existing debts but also stump up the money for the ground move and I would suggest that's going to cost a lot more than £1.5m. The other alternative that seems to be in the offing is for OMBC to have a financial involvement - they are already contributing by providing the land in Failsworth but that in itself won't be enough but given the current financial climate and the proposed cutbacks in council spending, I cannot see any way that the council would finance the building of a new stadium.

One final thing - Jimsleftfoot comment ends with 'it doesn't make sense' - unfortunately, nothing that the Latics board can do will make any sense given the state of the clubs finances and, from that perspective, I have a great deal of sympathy for their position. That said, however, I do wish they would be more forthcoming with sharing their plans - the proposed BP redevelopment was announced with great enthusiasm and when that fell through the push to find an alternative was equally well publicised - but now ????

The best thing that the public of Oldham can do is to continue to support the Latics through these difficult times. As I've said before on the Chron's website, if the product is good enough and priced correctly, the fans will return.

Not a bad idea, merge the two towns and build a joint stadium on Kingsway. :wink:

I still think the Kingsway idea is a good one. Why do we need different grounds?

On the other side, I couldn't care if it is Dale or MiniScummers who we are sharing with.

I'm not sure Lazio or Roma are friends, so why the hell should some made up non-league team and a third division garbage team harbour any problems?

Not a bad idea, merge the two towns and build a joint stadium on Kingsway. :wink:

I understood we were already merged - something called Greater Manchester I believe.

Unfortunately the dinosaurs that comprise the FA impose silly rules about encroaching on competitors territory - doesn't apply to the big boys of course - only newcomers who threaten the 'Status Quo' (and I don't mean the ageing rockers)

Thanks to Jimsleftfoot for at least one serious contribution to this very significant issue.

The reason I raised the topic on this forum is to raise the awareness amongst fans of the very real prospect that the club's financial state will prevent ANY move to a new stadium unless a considerable investment in the club is made - whether that's one individual (haven't seen Roman Abramovich wandering down Sheepfoot Lane as yet) or a supporters investment group (as per FC United) doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, there are significant barriers to that required investment - the club have no assets as the land is owned by a holding company (courtesy of the recently resigned directors) and I would assume there are significant outstanding loans to these individuals and presumably any influx of funds from whatever source will go towards repaying these loans.

So, on the face of it, any new owner(s) would not only have to meet the cost of existing debts but also stump up the money for the ground move and I would suggest that's going to cost a lot more than £1.5m. The other alternative that seems to be in the offing is for OMBC to have a financial involvement - they are already contributing by providing the land in Failsworth but that in itself won't be enough but given the current financial climate and the proposed cutbacks in council spending, I cannot see any way that the council would finance the building of a new stadium.

One final thing - Jimsleftfoot comment ends with 'it doesn't make sense' - unfortunately, nothing that the Latics board can do will make any sense given the state of the clubs finances and, from that perspective, I have a great deal of sympathy for their position. That said, however, I do wish they would be more forthcoming with sharing their plans - the proposed BP redevelopment was announced with great enthusiasm and when that fell through the push to find an alternative was equally well publicised - but now ????

The best thing that the public of Oldham can do is to continue to support the Latics through these difficult times. As I've said before on the Chron's website, if the product is good enough and priced correctly, the fans will return.

What we are told and why the Oldham Arena fell through is that the land around Boundary park can be developed as housing and can create the money to build the stadium in Failsworth. The development of the boundary park land can fund faillsworth but could not fund the Oldham Arena which is why it was scrapped. So it doesn't depend on new investment to create failswworth. Nevertheless while this is believeable and this is what we have been told it doesn't mean its going to happen like when Simon Blitz said in an interview in May 2010 that they were going nowhere and 6 weeks later he had "severed ties"

What we are told and why the Oldham Arena fell through is that the land around Boundary park can be developed as housing and can create the money to build the stadium in Failsworth. The development of the boundary park land can fund faillsworth but could not fund the Oldham Arena which is why it was scrapped. So it doesn't depend on new investment to create failswworth. Nevertheless while this is believeable and this is what we have been told it doesn't mean its going to happen like when Simon Blitz said in an interview in May 2010 that they were going nowhere and 6 weeks later he had "severed ties"

Thanks for your take on the situation but ......

I still have the feeling that the money raised by developing the land around BP will be swallowed up by the loan repayments to Messrs Blitz & co rather than be ringfenced for the new ground. I hope I'm proved wrong but the current silence is deafening.

Thanks for your take on the situation but ......

I still have the feeling that the money raised by developing the land around BP will be swallowed up by the loan repayments to Messrs Blitz & co rather than be ringfenced for the new ground. I hope I'm proved wrong but the current silence is deafening.

The money made from developing Boundary Park would more than cover the amount we owe in Loans. However I do share some of your concerns about Boundary Park being redeveloped and us not having to go and being forced to share at spotland.

I'll echo the comments there. The money from the ground isn't ours and is gone. The money from Failsworth (when it goes tits u) isn't ours and is gone. Boundary Park isn't ours, and the covenant is soon up and will be gone (thereby increasing the value of the houses, so it isn't going to stay). In short we'll soon have no money, no ground and a shed load of debts.

This is why I will take a ground share with MSCUM or Rochdale (in a new ground*), as our other options are going out of business or sharing with Stockport.

*This is unlikely to happen as their ground is fairly tidy. I guess it depends upon re-organising the Dale/Hornets/Council split of the ground.

The money made from developing Boundary Park would more than cover the amount we owe in Loans. However I do share some of your concerns about Boundary Park being redeveloped and us not having to go and being forced to share at spotland.

What also needs to be factored in is the current (and no doubt increasing) operating losses the club is incurring week on week so even if the BP land sale yielded anything like the amounts owed in ex-director loans, by the time it occurs any excess will have been swallowed up by the ongoing operating losses. :disappointed: