Sheff Wed v Latics

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

solid performance, cant help but feel 3 points were there for the taking though. Wednesday gave up just after the hour mark, looked dreadfully short of confidence and lightly dissapionted we didnt expose them to a bit more pressure. broke well a few times but fizzled out too quickly when we should have gone for the jugular. Sets us up for a good tilt at Orient on satuday though.

Ratings

Brill 7, Distribution still poor and needs to get the ball out more quickly at times but went about what little business he had to do comfortably

Black 7, Got turned a few times but is a good scrambler when he looks in trouble

M'Voto 8, MOM, solid as a rock, hard done to by the ref a few times when winning towering headers

Hazell 7, Also very solid, one minus was the booking he picked up

Lee 7, Not too much going forward but you'd expect that away from home, another competant performance

Alessandra 7, Bright start and some good runs, hopefully a run of games will continue to bbost his confidence

Furman 6, Quiet again but made a few solid tackles

Stephens 6, Also quiet, helped in the defensive effort but definitly needs a rest imo, not pulling the strings like he was early in the season

Jones 6, Not sure why every kick from the back goes to him as he isnt great in the air, a chance in the centre of the park might benifit him?

Taylor 7, Got into good positions frequently and went closest for us but his one footedness is still a big problem and stiflies his own attacks at times

Tounkara 6, Worked hard with little reward in the first half but was clearly shattered before coming off, still looks a threat though and will score his fair

share, espeically at home

Am i the only one who thought Tounkare got two bookings? One in the first half for playing on after the whistle had gone for an offside & then the second (which is the only one i can find any mention of) for the foul shortly before being taken off.

didnt see a card brandished for the first one, just a quiet word i think

i thought he'd been booked twice.....although my mate said it was their player in the first half who had complained about a hand ball 60 seconds earlier....

not a bad performance tonight - just lacking that killer instinct! far too many times, we broke forward and then ended up turning backwards as we had no-one to give the ball to.

M'voto absolutely outstanding. Taylor good too. Good team performance but just wish Dickov had shaken it up a little bit earlier, they were there for the taking.

A very entertaining 0-0.

Disagree there, thought it was one of the poorer 0-0's i've seen, neither keeper made a telling save, that sums it up, was end to end in a fashion but never neared any end product.

Sort of happy with a point, had it been early September yes, but just remember Wednesday have lost four in a row, a Southampton team that hadn't won for yonks won there, Carlisle won there recently and they've lost 2 on the road.

Edited by oafcshuck

I thought we did really well and worked hard for the point. Wednesday not the best team we will see. Thouight at times we took the wrong options and could easily have scored with a bit more composure. Lost the ball too easily as well. The workrate however was breathetaking and the team spirit is there for everyone to see. Not an easy ground to play and the point is a good one.

M'Voto was different class tonight and I thought Taylor played very well. Furman worked his socks off.

Overall I think we could have snatched it on the break.

Barry

Sort of happy with a point, had it been early September yes, but just remember Wednesday have lost four in a row, a Southampton team that hadn't won for yonks won there, Carlisle won there recently and they've lost 2 on the road.

agree. think the team were in the mindset that it was a point against one of the big boys in the league but wednesday looked a really poor side and we probably could have taken advantage if we'd have been a little bolder.

it was a poor game in terms of chances and shots but thats because there were very few mistakes, we were quite neat and tidy on the ball but even though they have been on a poor run i expected alot more from them

We wont do anything this season. We dont have enough firepower and are far too slow in our ability on the counter attack.

Only plus point of the trip was Yorkshire police telling people to just buy alcohol from nearby shops and drink on the street rather than any of the local pubs. Jackpot!

We wont do anything this season. We dont have enough firepower and are far too slow in our ability on the counter attack.

not many teams in this league have explosive firepower, certainly not on a consistant basis anyway! agree we need to be a little quicker in the final third but its something to be worked on, not gonna write us of just yet!

come away pleased, not at the result because they were there for the taking, but because every player gave their absolute all and so i have no complaints.

Final ball was lacking but everything else was there, bashed him so far this season but taylor has found his spot in the AM role, much more suited centrally and worked his balls off as well to be fair.

Stephens does look tired, passing was poor even short sideways balls, looked the passing of someone physically drained.

would keep it the same saturday, obviously jarrett/gregan in for hazell, but would put jones in place of stephens and dikaba right back and push lee up to right wing.

brill

Dikaba Gregan/Jarrett Mvoto Black

Lee Furman Jones Alessandra

Taylor

Tounkara

Edited by shefflatic

Disagree there, thought it was one of the poorer 0-0's i've seen, neither keeper made a telling save, that somes it up, was end to end in a fashion but never neared any end product.

Agree with the first point. Think people are thinking it was better than it was because it was a fairly good result and quite a good atmosphere. The game itself was dire! Thought they were poor and we were happy with a draw although I think we should have gone for it a bit more as the 3 points were definately there for the taking. Dissapointed in Stephens at the moment, can't remember him having a good game since he signed his contract; gave the ball away a lot and slowed down a couple of promising attacks

Was sure its was the Wednesday player who was booked first half, not Tounkare.

Definitely had at least one shot on target.

For about 30 minutes in the first half we couldn't pass water and consistently gave the ball to a (thankfully for us) a poor Wednesday side - do that aginst a decent team and we'll be punished.

Got into the game the longer it went on and could have nicked it.

Worst part of the night for me - after about 20 minutes Morrison went down in the box, and was rightly booed and jeered by our fans. However a small minority then sang the Ooh Roger Palmer chant at him, emphasising the "Ooh", I have heard this before and its a pathetic veiled racist taunt. Using the chant of the all time leading goal scorer as a racist taunt is sickening and sad - get a life!. And I do realise that we use the same chant for Tounkare with altered word - this was not the case at this moment at the game (though we did use it later on).

I thought sheff weds looked rather average. they wont go up and wont go down, as me and Davebuckley was saying last night they have probably one of the strongest teams on paper but that counts for nothing if they carnt play as a team.

they was there for the taken and we should have buried them. no shots on target was pretty poor and i dont understand why we play one up front !

it was a game inbetween two penalty boxes as we had nothing when we reached it and thankfully, they didn't either.

We seem to lacking the first touch control that seemed to go to every Weds player, couldn't get the rub of the green at all and seem to be a bit off the pace in the first half.

I agree with everyone else on here, wasn't the greatest of game, hardly any shots on target for either,

Mvoto is like a brick wall and muscles everyone off it - its great to see. Lewi was our main threat for me and they picked up on this quickly as he got two markers everytime he got it

Special mention to Weds fans - I'd be worried if I was you

Special mention to the ref - your were diabolically and don't give up your day job.

Special menttion to us fans - we were emense. The atmosphere was the winner for me.

Roll on Sat. Lets hope we can grab a goal at some point

come away pleased, not at the result because they were there for the taking, but because every player gave their absolute all and so i have no complaints.

Final ball was lacking but everything else was there, bashed him so far this season but taylor has found his spot in the AM role, much more suited centrally and worked his balls off as well to be fair.

Stephens does look tired, passing was poor even short sideways balls, looked the passing of someone physically drained.

would keep it the same saturday, obviously jarrett/gregan in for hazell, but would put jones in place of stephens and dikaba right back and push lee up to right wing.

brill

Dikaba Gregan/Jarrett Mvoto Black

Lee Furman Jones Alessandra

Taylor

Tounkara

the only thing i would change there is lee and jones,put lee cm leave jones where he is

Was sure its was the Wednesday player who was booked first half, not Tounkare.

Definitely had at least one shot on target.

For about 30 minutes in the first half we couldn't pass water and consistently gave the ball to a (thankfully for us) a poor Wednesday side - do that aginst a decent team and we'll be punished.

Got into the game the longer it went on and could have nicked it.

Worst part of the night for me - after about 20 minutes Morrison went down in the box, and was rightly booed and jeered by our fans. However a small minority then sang the Ooh Roger Palmer chant at him, emphasising the "Ooh", I have heard this before and its a pathetic veiled racist taunt. Using the chant of the all time leading goal scorer as a racist taunt is sickening and sad - get a life!. And I do realise that we use the same chant for Tounkare with altered word - this was not the case at this moment at the game (though we did use it later on).

Most don't even bother changing the words!

How many Latics last night ? Someone has mentioned 1200 in this thread - is that a guess or actual following. Looked about 800 to me.

Bob said there was 1200 there - sat at his computer in Tel Aviv.

I would say 800-900, we had 2 blocks of seats which held 500 each.