All this talk of why people DON'T go - some of us DO and WILL always go. Why?

Personally, I don't care how bad the team is, how poor the atmosphere is or how big a dump the ground is - it's part of who I am.

In my opinion, going to watch my LOCAL team, week in, week out makes me better than most other people, certainly most other so called football fans.

There is nothing, nothing that anybody could do - owner, manager, player, fellow so called supporter - that would make me cut my nose off to spite my face and stop going.

The worse it gets the more steadfast I become.

The worse it gets the better the last minute winners, the little chinks of light get.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't care how bad the team is, how poor the atmosphere is or how big a dump the ground is - it's part of who I am.

In my opinion, going to watch my LOCAL team, week in, week out makes me better than most other people, certainly most other so called football fans.

There is nothing, nothing that anybody could do - owner, manager, player, fellow so called supporter - that would make me cut my nose off to spite my face and stop going.

The worse it gets the better the last minute winners, the little chinks of light get.

i came away from brighton gutted ruined my weekend tbh as every loss does, i wholeheartedly agree with all u have said above, OAFC 4 LIFE and no one will change that through thick and thin i will be there

+1

It's what I do. I go watching Latics. I don't go because I expect value for money (though it would be nice). I don't go expecting us to be good (thought it would be nice).

I go because I love football and I am from Oldham.

I go because I love football and I am from Oldham.

Exactly what me and my dad agreed on at saturdays game. We was talking about the 3,800 attendance and he was like so what? im here, i love oldham, im from oldham. thats all. So yeah, well said like i said.

Agreed Oldham Athletic is a big part of my life although not everything revolves around it. Some of my best mates are people i have met thru watching Latics.

I enjoy my away trips yes i could watch results in the pub on Sky Sports news and on TV but i get angry and annoyed at not being there.

However it does not mean i have to agree with the club policies or the people that run it? i can also fully understand reasons why fans have stopped going and most cases agree.

However its down to each individual at the end of the day.

Edited by oafctom

At the end of the day. I'm just glad im supporting my local team, where i was born. And loving looking forward to going to boundary park regardless of the state of the ground & away days. I'll always support Oldham and continue to go regularly. Yea, theres going to be bad times and there also going to be good times. Im very proud in calling myself a loyal Oldham fan. Keep the faith.

100% spot on. Oldham is my home town and I've been a Latics supporter since my Dad first took me 60 years ago. I wish I could get to every game, home and away, but it's not possible. I get to every one South of Birmingham (normally) and 3 or 4 trips to BP each season. How I wish it was more. I've seen the highs (Premier league and a Wembley final) and the lows (applying for re-election to the old 4th Division), but I'll never waver from supporting the club I love and grew up with. If I can't get to a match, Latics Player and the chat room is a must and I'm a right miserable git if anything stops it.

Latics, through & through. Simples.

To be fair until this post, I thought you we just a wind up merchant.......Alas I think I understand you better!

..........and this post perfectly sums up my attitude towards everything Latics

Pretty much how I see it. If people don't want to turn up - it's their loss!!

Im clinically insane and so are all of you!!

Thats the only logical explanation i can think of anyway :grin:

Seriously, similar explanations to everyone else, its in my blood and what have you, il still be going if we drop down the divisions and according to some we will do! (also thats if there is a club to support at all according to others). I don't think it makes me anymore of a fan though than some of those who can't go/won't go, i still believe they love the club, it's just a matter of time till for one reason or another they return to the nut house full time!! lol

Edited by Oafc88

I'd happily sit on the stone block opposite the main stand in any weather conditions as it is to watch Latics.

I'd happily stand in a muddy field with it p***** it down to watch Latics.

Those who complain about the facilities just have it as an excuse to not go anymore, can't exactly class yourself as a fan just because of the facilities on offer.

I'd happily sit on the stone block opposite the main stand in any weather conditions as it is to watch Latics.

I'd happily stand in a muddy field with it p***** it down to watch Latics.

Those who complain about the facilities just have it as an excuse to not go anymore, can't exactly class yourself as a fan just because of the facilities on offer.

I suppose that is it... You won't find many people happy to sit on a stone block in any weather...

This should be saved and put up on the front page of OWTB and pinned in the forum...THIS is probably the best post ever on here! Sadly, I think it's a minority who have this view nowadays. Fast life, greed, the X-Factor "boo" if you don't like it, the me, me, me and "I'm a customer"...that's 2010. People can point to the early 80s when crowd were as low but the worry is, the costs and constraints in 2010 are a lot heavier than they were in the early 80's. we recovered once...I just don't see it happening again because society has become weak, fickle minded, and impatient.

I'll be there though...as long as it says Oldham Athletic and the boys in blue are playing...I'll be there. I don't want a Blue Peter badge for it. I'll get my reward at places like Everton...that meant more to me than any fickle-dom whose 1st game of the season it was!

:applause1::applause1::applause1:

Excellent post, couldn't agree more.

This should be saved and put up on the front page of OWTB and pinned in the forum...THIS is probably the best post ever on here! Sadly, I think it's a minority who have this view nowadays. Fast life, greed, the X-Factor "boo" if you don't like it, the me, me, me and "I'm a customer"...that's 2010. People can point to the early 80s when crowd were as low but the worry is, the costs and constraints in 2010 are a lot heavier than they were in the early 80's. we recovered once...I just don't see it happening again because society has become weak, fickle minded, and impatient.

I'll be there though...as long as it says Oldham Athletic and the boys in blue are playing...I'll be there. I don't want a Blue Peter badge for it. I'll get my reward at places like Everton...that meant more to me than any fickle-dom whose 1st game of the season it was!

You don't want an award maybe but least your not greedy, weak minded of fickle like the rest of society...... hah!!!

Great post Harry. Like many I travel miles each week to watch our team. I sometimes question my sanity, but never consider not attending. As you say its part of who we are. Its the easiest thing in the world to follow one of the big boys, but does that really give you the feeling of belonging that you get when you follow your local team. I think not!

Long Live Latics, and Long Live the loyal band of supporters, however few of us there are

Great post Harry. Like many I travel miles each week to watch our team. I sometimes question my sanity, but never consider not attending. As you say its part of who we are. Its the easiest thing in the world to follow one of the big boys, but does that really give you the feeling of belonging that you get when you follow your local team. I think not!

Long Live Latics, and Long Live the loyal band of supporters, however few of us there are

It's my 25th season this and the 8th out of the last 9 I've had a season ticket. I'd say to those complaining about the facilities (and to be fair i've done my fair share of this) yes I agree the facilities are poor but are they any worse than when you started going? When I started coming to games you pissed against a wall in the Chaddy End and as a kid you often had to cling to the fence to get a good view! Choice of food and beverages was meat and tater pies, hot drinks and a bag of crisp if you were lucky, and maybe clix chewing gum that blew your head off. We had a squad of 14 if we were lucky. So what's different?

The ground has lost a bit of soul with the loss of the Broadway Stand and it does still feel strange even though this is the third year since it was dropped, for those that want a matchday experience, I've always rolled up at ten to three, watch the game vent my frustration and sod off at the final whistle and whinge, celebrate or commiserate in the pub. A lot of things have changed since the good old days, some for the better - some definitely for the worse.

One thing that has never changed is that no matter how :censored:e we are there's always that sense of anticipation and trepidation when walking down Sheepfoot Lane on matchday. Despite the doom and gloom around the club over the last few years, Oldham Athletic are my club, it's what I do at least every other Saturday - I don't want a medal, same as I don't want to hear why people are not going - we know why! You've simply given up, got better things to do, got bored with it. I've been on the brink but Oldham Athletic are my team and I'll still be watching them if they end up playing the likes of FC United and Marine. I'll be honest, partly down to finances, part disaffection has seen me reign in my away days (although I'm going on Saturday and should have gone last week but for illness)

The biggest issue we have, and it's not facilities, the smoking ban, the prices, Beelzebub Hardy, Corney and Co, Stands being dropped, over zealous stewarding, pies running out, Chavvy kids in the RRE, The drum etc etc etc - these reasons don't help of course but I think the biggest single reason for disaffection is 14 years in this division. There's no freshness, its the same teams year after year, everybody can beat everybody and we're seen to be treading water. Every false dawn that goes tits up 02/03, 06/07, 08/09 added to the complete balls made of the Oldham arena project adds to the growing apathy and that's key to the falling attendances. The fanbase is there, it is just incredibly dormant. In the late 80s our swashbuckling cup-runs rekindled interest in our crappy little club, unless we can do something similar - certainly a promotion or PO Final/JPT Final then we'll continue to see attendances hover around the 3,500 mark.

What does bother me is the club seem to have given up trying to entice people to BP, I hope Failsworth happens as it is a new start - hopefully with new vibrant ownership that do not promise the world, then give up at the first sign of not getting their own way like TTA did in 2006.

Those that ask me "Why do you go and watch Oldham?", "We're not the greatest, never have been, never will be but they're my team and an integral part of my identity. My Grandad was a fan, my dad is, I am and my two kids are."

Like others have said, I don't support Latics for glory, I support them for that split second of unbridled joy such as Frankie Bunn nicking the winner at Villa, Stitch equalising at The Dell, Roger Palmer's last minute at home to WBA, Ian Marshall's late winner v Notts County, Ian Olney's late goals v Leeds and Tottenham, Neil Adams late, late brace at Goodison, Stitch's late winner v Middlesbrough, Andy Holt's winner at Wrexham, Steve Whitehall's winner v Millwall, Tipton's equaliser v Bury, Colusso v Bury, Butcher's winner v Colchester etc, etc most of those games meant nothing in the grander scheme of things but to us Latics fans for that fleeting moment (and a good few days afterwards) they mean everything and that's why we support a lower division team. ANY win means the world to us!

And of course there's the real special moments too that many of still dine out on Wembley Twice, THAT Penalty, wins at Maine Road, beating United at BP and numerous giant killings. And the reason why so much of this is buried in our deepest consciousness is that for every late-goal or giant-killing there is a Bradford Cup Replay, a hammering at Oxford or Spurs, not turning up at home to Southend, hammered at Rotherham or Reading or not scoring in 20 odd games like last season.

I'm a Latics fan, because you never know what you're gonna get. Yes we can try and predict what will happen and sometimes we're right but the one thing you get from being an Oldham Athletic supporter is variety! If I wanted to win every week I'd follow United, City or Liverpool (Ahem :grin: ) I think many of the stayaways should stop thinking of reasons not to go and think about why they're Latics fans in the first place. At the end of the day it's 90 minutes football if you want to go, go...

Edited by oafcprozac