Where do Latics Fans Live?

Where do Latics fans live?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you live in the Oldham borough?

• Chadderton
    • Failsworth
    • Lees
    • Oldham (town)
    • Royton
    • Saddleworth
    • Shaw/Crompton
    • Outside the Oldham borough

You never know, the planning department might let Latics get away with building on Tandle Hills green belt land. :wink:

F*ck that - I'd be up there complaining and chaining myself to trees if they did.

Anyway, the survey clearly tells us what we already really knew - the team should be playing somewhere outside the borough... :lol:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Wales. The move takes 6 miles off my trip and gets me closer to the M60 - perfect. Can't wait. Add to that the fact that i can sit in comfort in the main stand - brilliant. Bring it on. Anyone refusing to go is simply sums up everything yjay is wrong with this club - idoit fans,

I've lived in Colchester, Manchester, Moorside, Sholver, Shaw, Royton, Wolverhampton, Hollins and Failsworth.

I WILL be going to watch latics, as long as they play in any of the above, except Colchester and Wolverhampton.

As for those who say they won't go as it's 3 miles away from BP? Well, they know what they are.

The poll has highlighted the potential fans outside the Borough and its about time the Latics marketing team tapped into these catchment areas by for example advertising games and making sure match reports are featured in newspapers such as the Tameside Reporter.

the matches are regularly advertised in the tameside advertiser

The Chron reports the City, Man U & Rochdale games - doesn't make me want to go!

Many do though.

But they are most likely the fans (real or armchair) of those clubs who happen to live in the Chron's catchment area - it's a bit of a 'preach to the converted' message for those people.

Having said that, there must be some unattached or floating footy fans in the Tameside area who might be tempted - maybe the club could find a transport partner to offer free or subsidised transport to BP (dread to think what replies this comment might bring :wink:)

The poll has highlighted the potential fans outside the Borough and its about time the Latics marketing team tapped into these catchment areas by for example advertising games and making sure match reports are featured in newspapers such as the Tameside Reporter.

Bingo! I'm not going to bother posting my feelings about the Chron as I've said them often enough.

I live in Failsworth. Literally a stones throw from the Lancaster Club and really hope this new stadium finally comes off. There's 4 Oldham fans on my street alone plus Arsenal, Tottenham and Sheffield Weds fans that say they will go to the new stadium to watch the Latics.

I'm from Galway in Ireland and living in Dublin so as a match always involves a long journey for me, a move to Failsworth won't affect me personally. Having said that, it might be old fashioned now but I always loved the idea of football grounds being as close to the centre of the area they represent as possible. Also old fashioned, I love tradition and would always want to see my team play on the same spot where generations of highs and lows happens. Sadly, these days those things are seemingly impossible to hang on to for a litany of reasons. Right now, what matters to me most is the survival of the club. If a move to Failsworth is the best thing fir the club - a big if as everything seems to be risk-ridden these days - then so be it. No matter what though, I'll still be making my trips to see Latics even if they're playing in someone's back garden with jumpers for goalposts. I don't expect a pat on the back for that, I just think if you support a club, and have a few quid to spare to see them play, then that's exactly what you should do. And the club you support should be one you have a real connection to, not one you like because they win all the time, are always on Sky Sports, and have billions to burn.

I'm from Galway in Ireland and living in Dublin so as a match always involves a long journey for me, a move to Failsworth won't affect me personally. Having said that, it might be old fashioned now but I always loved the idea of football grounds being as close to the centre of the area they represent as possible. Also old fashioned, I love tradition and would always want to see my team play on the same spot where generations of highs and lows happens. Sadly, these days those things are seemingly impossible to hang on to for a litany of reasons. Right now, what matters to me most is the survival of the club. If a move to Failsworth is the best thing fir the club - a big if as everything seems to be risk-ridden these days - then so be it. No matter what though, I'll still be making my trips to see Latics even if they're playing in someone's back garden with jumpers for goalposts. I don't expect a pat on the back for that, I just think if you support a club, and have a few quid to spare to see them play, then that's exactly what you should do. And the club you support should be one you have a real connection to, not one you like because they win all the time, are always on Sky Sports, and have billions to burn.

That's a cracking post by the way, and pretty much sums up exactly how I feel too. I love tradition in football, but have come to accept there's certain things you just can't hang on to.

I'm down in Cornwall now, as i joined the Royal Navy in 92 and spent most of my dry land time in the south west, but still go the games when i can but i must admit there are mainly away games now. Watched the blues 4 times this season twice at home and twice away so i'm not doing to bad all things considering.

We haven't even got the marketing right in the town, I think it would be a waste of money to jump straight to marketing outside of Oldham. If we market the club properly in the town and raise awareness then some of the apathy we're all well aware of could subside. I mentioned in another thread recently how near where I live in Leeds (10-15 min drive from Elland Road) they have huge advertising boards that LUFC and Rhinos regularly use for publicising up coming games/offers they are running. I've not been into Oldham town centre than many times in all honesty, I've never lived there and the family I have that are still in the area live in Rochdale, but on the few occasions i've passed through I've never seen ANY mention of OAFC which is quite frankly appalling.

This poll is useful but also quite misleading as well. The number living outside the borough is around 50% but does this not simply coincide with our ageing fanbase? I'm sure the vast majority of this 50% lived in Oldham at one time or another, likely in their youth. I think it fits fairly well that we have very few young supporters (those most liekly to still live in the area) coming through to 'replace' (for want of a better word) the older generation. We have to get the marketing right in the borough, 'outsiders' should not be the primary target because unlike those in the borough they have no immediate connection with the club and the team. Let's not forget Oldham has a popullation well capable of sustaining this club even in the championship, so why not make the most of that? The people of Oldham are an easier audience to capture than those from the areas surrounding scum trafford or COMS or even 'neutral' areas.

Bit of an old chestnut this, is it not?. But for the record I have watched MY team for over fifty years, and I live, breath, and love Oldham Athletic football club, and could not imagine my life without "Latics".When I read on here that people say that they will not watch Latics in Failsworth, or they wont go because they cant buy a pie at half time, or object to opposition fans being given certain seats, I could weep. It appears that your modern day human has no regard to loyalty, not just to his local football club, but to anything in their lives. But my can they moan. There are lots of people who like myself love Oldham Athletic, who are pulling their guts out to make things better for all of us, would it be to much to ask for people to praise, encourage, and support the club. A move to Failsworth will put 6 more miles on my journey to and from a home match, but so what, my passion still burns bright for my team and I fully expect that to continue to my last breath, wherever we play.

Bit of an old chestnut this, is it not?. But for the record I have watched MY team for over fifty years, and I live, breath, and love Oldham Athletic football club, and could not imagine my life without "Latics".When I read on here that people say that they will not watch Latics in Failsworth, or they wont go because they cant buy a pie at half time, or object to opposition fans being given certain seats, I could weep. It appears that your modern day human has no regard to loyalty, not just to his local football club, but to anything in their lives. But my can they moan. There are lots of people who like myself love Oldham Athletic, who are pulling their guts out to make things better for all of us, would it be to much to ask for people to praise, encourage, and support the club. A move to Failsworth will put 6 more miles on my journey to and from a home match, but so what, my passion still burns bright for my team and I fully expect that to continue to my last breath, wherever we play.

Amen brother. Those who claim they will not go to Failsworth make me want to puke my guts out.

The very worst kind of spineless, cretinous, expectant 'supporter' there is.

I hope they are all happy with their ESPN HD packages and empty lives should we move to Failsworth and they stick to their guns about not going.

They're not Oldham fans. F*ck em.

Woof.