Nightmare away trip stories

Anyone got any? (I know I posted the same thread on FootballForums.net last week)

I was hearing the other week from this Wednesday fan about a trip down to Swansea where he hitch-hiked down, asked to be taken to the Football ground and ended up at the Rugby Ground, by the time he got to the game it was half time and the score was 3-3, then he watched the 2nd half and it was dull until the last minute when Swansea scored the winner

My worst away trip nightmare was back in 2003 when we played Mansfield, I was running late as it was having missed my connection in Sheffield, so I got on the train and the bloody thing broke down just outside Worksop, meaning that I missed the game and by some accounts it was one of those classic scrappy away wins that you just love

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got any? (I know I posted the same thread on FootballForums.net last week)

I was hearing the other week from this Wednesday fan about a trip down to Swansea where he hitch-hiked down, asked to be taken to the Football ground and ended up at the Rugby Ground, by the time he got to the game it was half time and the score was 3-3, then he watched the 2nd half and it was dull until the last minute when Swansea scored the winner

My worst away trip nightmare was back in 2003 when we played Mansfield, I was running late as it was having missed my connection in Sheffield, so I got on the train and the bloody thing broke down just outside Worksop, meaning that I missed the game and by some accounts it was one of those classic scrappy away wins that you just love

Once went away to Rochdale after sitting in :censored:loads of traffic only for the match to be abandoned after 8 minutes due to terrential rain! :grin:

Think my worst was a game against Macclesfield Town, the Barlows coach broke down in Ashton and didn't have a replacement so a group of fans got off and tried to get there using bus, train and taxi. Got there 35 minutes late, watched a dire game in a temporary stand and saw Efe Sodje score the only goal for Macc late in the game!

Best bit of luck I had was at the 'Richard Butcher Match' against Barnsley. The train arrived late into Sheffield so I missed the connection to Barnsley. Got to Barnsley station at 20 past, text my mate who said it was 3-0 already to them so I just got on the first train back home! One I'm glad I missed!

i went to donny on a bank holiday, left at half time to go pub! fell asleep and missed my minibus home, had to get a bus to donny town centre, walk to train station, train to some random station, coach from random station to sheffield station, train to piccadily and taxi home from there....NIGHTMARE!!

got home hours later and £70 lighter!!

i went to donny on a bank holiday, left at half time to go pub! fell asleep and missed my minibus home, had to get a bus to donny town centre, walk to train station, train to some random station, coach from random station to sheffield station, train to piccadily and taxi home from there....NIGHTMARE!!

got home hours later and £70 lighter!!

Rochdale away in the 70s broke my glasses just after the start of the match, the rest was just a haze. :(

Coming back from Dagenham on Saturday, ended up paying a white van man £40 between 5 of us for a lift to Euston. Sat Nav sent us completely wrong way, ended up missing our train by 4 minutes. The train after then had to be rerouted and took 3 and a half hours instead of 2. Got hom just before midnight when I should have been back before 10! Thats why we love away days, because of how random they are!

Coming back from Dagenham on Saturday, ended up paying a white van man £40 between 5 of us for a lift to Euston. Sat Nav sent us completely wrong way, ended up missing our train by 4 minutes. The train after then had to be rerouted and took 3 and a half hours instead of 2. Got hom just before midnight when I should have been back before 10! Thats why we love away days, because of how random they are!

I have to agree with this.

Rochdale away in the 70s broke my glasses just after the start of the match, the rest was just a haze. :(

Best one I have read about was back in 1987, word for word:- Latics fans endured a nightmare trip to Portsmouth for a 3-0 defeat on 11th April 1987...

"This week's Latics action (there are a few photos that I may scan in given the chance) features the supporters who endured a marathon 24 hour trip to Portsmouth game the other weekend on one of the club's Executive coaches.

The day started badly enough when the executive double deck coach taking 74 supporters to Portsmouth arrived at Boundary Park 1 1/2 hours late on the Saturday morning. However, although cold and wet after standing around for nearly 2 hours, the supporters were delighted when they got onto the coach and saw eight colour TVs , tea, coffee, stereo music etc, and said it had been worth waiting for.

The driver made excellent time on the journey down and we arrived at Portsmouth in time for the kick off. Unfortunately the team did not play to the strandard we know it is capable of and thanks to two very dubious penalty decisions the lads lost 3-0.

The return journey to Oldham started at 5.30pm and after travelling for just over an hour the double deck coach broke down on the A34 near Newbury. Fortunately just down the road over a grass verge and a five foot fence was a country pub, where the landlord agreed to let the weary travellers take liquid refreshment and rest for an hour or so.

Unfortunately the hour or so turned into 8 1/2 hours as it was not until 2.15am on the Sunday morning that two coaches arrived to take us to Hilton Park Services on the M6 where we all transferred to two more coaches that arrived back in Oldham at 6.30am in the morning, almost 24 hours after the supporters first left home..."

Brentford in 06/07, long delay sat outside MIlton Keynes on the train whilst waiting for engineering works that had over-run to be finished. We were sat there 2 hours! Make it to the game, 2-0 with 4 minutes to go, decide to do one and go for a pint, miss both goals as we fight back to 2-2- not a happy bunny, then get a phone call on the way home - Dad's not too well, he had a heart attack the day after. Not the best of days.

Norwich last day of 93/94 - One of Barlow's finest had a blow out close to Newark. Sat there for three hours, some fans were picked up by other passing supporters coaches, we had to wait for ATS to sort the problem. Stormin' Norman limped back into Oldham about four in the morning, to be the fair to the 15 of us that remained he dropped us all off individually. Great day out, devastated at relegation confirmed, the 'we want Joe' chant then a horrible journey home!

my mates coach broke down on the way back from qpr play off in 2003.

My dad and his mate were on that one, got a phone-call just outside Stoke on Trent, "Making tracks Paul, yeah dad, about 45 minutes from home", oh right son, we broke down an hour ago and we're still an hour from Brum....wish I'd paid the extra few quid for the exec son... D'oh!

I was at home and had been in bed an hour before their coach got going. Think McGoo was the steward on that one....

loads...but not publishable... :lipsrsealed2:

Just remembered another one, Spurs 93/94 coach was late arriving but still sneaked a cheeky one in, paying into the ground at ten past three a fellow tic shouts, don't bother mate we're 3-0 down, gateman and steward confirm - I pocket my money and go back to the pub - I sleep all the way home, get back just in time to meet my mates for a night in Butterfly's having not seen a minute of our 5-0 defeat....

My one and only away trip to Bloomfield Road in 1997 wasn't the best.

Train there was canceled so we had to leg it to the coach station, which we just managed to get on.

Latics took a BIG following that day, we outright filled the open kop terracing behind the goal, as well as a small covered section. The :censored: at Blackpool seen the amount of tics and added £2 or so onto the price advertised in the Latics programme, and as it was pay on the door, quite alot of fans were locked out, so there was alot of pissed off tics.

Game finished 2-2 thanks to a double from Barn Door Barlow

My one and only away trip to Bloomfield Road in 1997 wasn't the best.

Train there was canceled so we had to leg it to the coach station, which we just managed to get on.

Latics took a BIG following that day, we outright filled the open kop terracing behind the goal, as well as a small covered section. The :censored: at Blackpool seen the amount of tics and added £2 or so onto the price advertised in the Latics programme, and as it was pay on the door, quite alot of fans were locked out, so there was alot of pissed off tics.

Game finished 2-2 thanks to a double from Barn Door Barlow

Helluva lot of trouble that day, but I had a great weekend.

Best, fast show voice.."Me? in a hotel room with two nurses from Cardiff at 3am, with my reputation...."

Colchester in what i think was one of the last few games Ritchie was manager, it took 7 and a half hours to get there after doing a mile and a half in 1 hour. We were 10 minutes late and missed the opening Colchester goal and didnt have a clue about, we equalised which i thought was us taking the lead and then they goat a 2nd. We were talking about how we were lucky to be drawing only to find out after someone heard us that we were losing. And to top it off Shez got a red card for foul and abusive language after telling D Shez to f*** off after he was told to get back, only for the ref to think it was aimed at him.

Hated everything about Colchester ever since.